Vought RF-8 Crusader project, 2018 - Page 12
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2456789101112

Thread: Vought RF-8 Crusader project, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post

Now what confuses me, I thought you were all in on P3D V3 and did an adios to FSX. I ask that 'cause you wanted to make that AB project for the F-8 to work in FSX and
    if you are not using it how do you test it?
    I installed FSX-SE recently for testing purposes and why did I do that for the life of me don't know it's junk, but hey can't fix something I can't see.

Soon as the fix is in it's gone!

My clients are happy with the recent graphic work for his book and now will focus on FSX AB fix. After that bye-bye FSX.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Last Crusader

Just uploaded, the last USN Crusader. BuNo 146860, the last Crusader operated by VFP-206.

The Naval Air Reserve units operating the RF-8G were VFP-206 and VFP-306 and were both based at NAF Washington DC, stationed at Andrews AFB. VFP-206 finally relinquished its RF-8Gs on March 29, 1987, becoming the last Navy unit to fly the Crusader. The last Crusader in Navy service, RF-8G BuNo 146860, was officially turned over to the Smithsonian Institution the next day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RF8-1.jpg   RF8-0.jpg   RF8-4.jpg  
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Video from two months earlier:

Note the puff of smoke during AB ignition.

TED'S F-8 Crusader AB effect for Deans RF-8 -not working

I've notice that Ted's (Tufun) new F-8 Afterburner effect works great in Henk's V2 of the F-8 Crusader however, the AB effect will not
    function in Dean's RF-8 unless you merge his textures into Henk's Crusader folder.

IMHO, I think there is something in one of Dean's (and other's) panel.cfg that doesn't have the gauges, or calls on gauges or make
    whatever calls it is for Ted's AB effect.

It looks like using Henk's panels only will allow me to taxi without the Afterburner Flame showing when taxing at a snails pace.
    If I use some other panel other then Henk's then we have the premature AB flame at low speeds. If I use Henk's then no
    probs.

I've did a comparison of the panel files in Henk's and Dean's F-8 and the contents are different as well. Was looking for what in the panel
    file will work for one and not the other.

Just something I wanted to bring to light.

I've already asked Dean about this and waiting to hear from him.

Just posting here to say that I don't recall making any changes to the Crusader's panel or aircraft .cfg files, other than those used to point to the model itself and its textures. I think that this is more to do with the textures used by the AB flame than anything else, but I haven't had the time to download any of the updates to test them yet. Hope that it gets figured out, and that everyone's enjoying the RF-8. Many thanks for the low-viz paint job, by the way!
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Just posting here to say that I don't recall making any changes to the Crusader's panel or aircraft .cfg files, other than those used to point to the model itself and its textures. I think that this is more to do with the textures used by the AB flame than anything else, but I haven't had the time to download any of the updates to test them yet. Hope that it gets figured out, and that everyone's enjoying the RF-8. Many thanks for the low-viz paint job, by the way!
    The panel folder and content and panel cfg have differences in them that somehow when used, will not allow the AB effect to function,

All I know is, if I revert to one of the panels provided in the stock F-8 C then, the AB effect will happen. Just my observation.

In the intrim, I can just merge the RF-8 texture panels to the F-8 folder, make the changes to the aircraft.cfg file.

EDIT:

This is when I've added the RF8 textures and model to the F-8 folder, notice the gun camera's windows are black.

This is when the RF-8 files are installed isolated from the F-8 folder, the gun camera's windows are not blacked out and can see camera thru glass.
    No AB effect.
    Last edited by gray eagle; October 2nd, 2019 at 04:58.

The panel folder and content and panel cfg have differences in them that somehow when used, will not allow the AB effect to function,All I know is, if I revert to one of the panels provided in the stock F-8 C then, the AB effect will happen. Just my observation.In the intrim, I can just merge the RF-8 texture panels to the F-8 folder, make the changes to the aircraft.cfg file.
    Try checking the texture.cfg folder, which should be in most of the texture paint folders as a notepad file. If it's not pointing to other folders correctly, this would explain why some textures are not showing up in some combinations but working in others.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Try checking the texture.cfg folder, which should be in most of the texture paint folders as a notepad file. If it's not pointing to other folders correctly, this would explain why some textures are not showing up in some combinations but working in others.

Dean,

I've solved the black gun camera glass conundrum.

I had to renamed your base texture folder to textureRF8.
    For each RF8 paint, I did an edit in the first line

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\textureRF8 <<<Changed the name to point to the RF8 base texture
    fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
    fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\textur e

As there are differences in file contents in your base texture folder and the F-8 base texture folder.
    So I had to install and rename your base RF-8 texture to get the full rendering.

If I do all the above and not your panels, I will have the AB effect. If I use your panels, no AB - And any other third party F8 panel for that matter.
    Last edited by gray eagle; October 2nd, 2019 at 08:53.

No AB sonic boom

Another issue I noted is that installing the RF-8 in it's own folder in P3D V3.4, there is no sonic boom sound either however, the AB indicator will light on the panel

Not so it the textures are integrated into to F-8 folder.

Another issue I noted is that installing the RF-8 in it's own folder in P3D V3.4, there is no sonic boom sound either however, the AB indicator will light on the panel Not so it the textures are integrated into to F-8 folder.
    It sounds like the original ALPHA F8 Crusader folder is the best place for the RF-8 then, as clearly there are gauges or panel configurations that exist there which are required for many of the effects to work. I will ammend the README with the download to outline this as the best way forward when I get the time to do so. It's odd though, as I'm pretty sure I just copied and pasted them into the RF-8 folders upon upload, so they shouldn't really be any different. Clearly, something's blocking effects, I just can't imagine what it might be without digging back into the files.

. Clearly, something's blocking effects, I just can't imagine what it might be without digging back into the files.
    I think so too. I tried a comparison of your and henk's panel.cfg files and there is just so much stuff in there. The file contents of your panel and Henk's are different.
    But then again, they look a little different when using them.

If you know what gauge activates the AB effects for the RF-8 in the .CAB file then you can trouble shoot. When pressing the I key the AB is lite and wing vapor trails. So it's a gauge somewhere in the pane.cfg folder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AB-2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    If you know what gauge activates the AB effects for the RF-8 in the .CAB file then you can trouble shoot. When pressing the I key the AB is lite and wing vapor trails. So it's a gauge somewhere in the pane.cfg folder.

Dean has two panels (Panel/Panel.c) in his RF-8, both of which contain identical folder names; that I don't understand.

Basic panel

Panel.C

Just wanted to post a screen shot of Ted's new photo bird A/B effect in FSX. Looks great, Ted, thanks for your work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New_AB_2.jpg  

Dean has two panels (Panel/Panel.c) in his RF-8, both of which contain identical folder names; that I don't understand.

Rectangle scope
    F-8J 150311, VF24 and the French Navy use Panel

Round scope
    F-8J 145562, VMF-321 and F-8E 145575, VF-84 use Panel.C

Thanks TARPSBird

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Rectangle scope
    F-8J 150311, VF24 and the French Navy use Panel

Round scope
    F-8J 145562, VMF-321 and F-8E 145575, VF-84 use Panel.C

Thanks TARPSBird
    Ya mean these? .. I use to bore sight the guns back in the day and had to sit in the cockpit and pull the gun trigger
    (each of the four 20MM had ~20 rounds) and fire at a target at end of a tunnel. So I remember a little of the actual panel layout.
    The fire control radar scope was either rectangular (F8-E) or round (F8-C/D)

I was referring (#288) to how the folder names of Dean's panels (Panel.Panel.C) appear identical.

Case in point; Deans RF-8 VFP-63 calls on pane.C; while his VFP-306 calls on basic panel.
    Both of cockpits look identical, have same round radar scope.

F8-D panel

F8-E

Last edited by gray eagle; October 4th, 2019 at 05:46.

RF-8G afterburner light will not go out

When reducing throttle, the afterburner light does not go out, the RPM does not reduce and there is no afterburner flame when using Dean's RF-8G package. I've read through the previous posts but am very confused. I installed Henk's F-8v2 and copied Dean's RF-8G base texture and renamed it textureRF8 and edited the texure.cfg file (fallback.1=..\textureRF8), copied Dean's RF-8G aircraft textures, RF-8G model file and copied Dean's RF-8G aircraft.cfg entries into Henk's F-8v2 aircraft.cfg file. When I fly with Henk's package, everything works great except for a grey disk covering the radar scope when viewing the VC. How do I get rid of that grey disk in front of the radar scope?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (137).png  

Members who have read this thread: 62