Cliff face i cant remove from scenery

Thread: Cliff face i cant remove from scenery

Cliff face i cant remove from scenery

I have a annoying terrain anomaly i cant shift from scenery im working on, a cliff face at the end of runway which i cant shift, ive try'd flat areas with both ADEX and SBuilderX, and slopping polys with ADEX, and it just wont budge, I noticed power line autogen running in the same direction when i increased the autogen denserty which i removed with a utility exclude with SBuilder hoping that would do the trick, but the cliff is still there. Ive seen this before and ive just lived with it but im determined to get rid of it, any ideas,

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    I have a annoying terrain anomaly i cant shift from scenery im working on, a cliff face at the end of runway which i cant shift, ive try'd flat areas with both ADEX and SBuilderX, and slopping polys with ADEX, and it just wont budge, I noticed power line autogen running in the same direction when i increased the autogen denserty which i removed with a utility exclude with SBuilder hoping that would do the trick, but the cliff is still there. Ive seen this before and ive just lived with it but im determined to get rid of it, any ideas,
    You could try adding an ADEX airport taxiway there Ian - maybe a narrow one from grass?
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Looks like a grid boundary.

Outside of creating a local, high resolution mesh, I don't have much of an idea how to fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    I vouch for terrain sculptor too. Brilliant software! I would not have managed to made Locher without it.

That's an excellent suggestion, Id never heard of terrain sculptor before.

Ttfn

Pete

Have you installed FSXMesh? If so, uninstall it. There are known “plateau” issues with this happening at some airports in P3Dv4. The developer is trying to find a fix.

Ian,
    Is there an entry for this airport in "/Scenery/World/Scenery." If so, try removing it.
    Terry

Make a new airport flatten file for terrain using SbuilderX

Thanks for the imput guy's, ive been trying different idea's and ive still not solved the problem, i moved the whole airfield 600 ft south and remade the airport background exclude flatten, and i get the same problem, but at least ive narrow'd it down to ADE generated flatten rather than anything 3rd party lurking in the terrain.
    I have'nt heard of Terrain sculptor tool before so i think i'll explore its possability's.

thanks again, ian

Ian,

Do you have a photoscenery in the design? I saw a discussion over at fsdeveloper that this was the cause of a similar issue.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/strange-cliffs.439837/

Thank again everybody, ive sorted the issue and im partially to blame, i was making one or two very complicated slopping polys with multiple node's in ADEX, what i should have been doing was simple triangles, and adding them a bit at a time and checking in sim, always something to learn , Now things are looking good.

thanks again, ian

Glad you got it sorted! I'll file that one away to watch out for.
    Terry

Thank again everybody, ive sorted the issue and im partially to blame, i was making one or two very complicated slopping polys with multiple node's in ADEX, what i should have been doing was simple triangles, and adding them a bit at a time and checking in sim, always something to learn , Now things are looking good.

thanks again, ian
    That is exactly what terrain sculptor does in a much easier way. You can define the elevation you wish in each vertex and it does the triangulation automatically. I used to do it like you until I discovered it.

Didn't quite escape.
    I was about to reply and say that I've seen similar effects a number of times in the past and the answer was either overlapping polys at the same priority, or an overcomplex poly that you need to simplify, but I see you already fathomed that.

One of the reasons that I'm so far behind with releases at present is that I'm sick to the back teeth of awkward terrain pollies (braaark!) so I'm going to check that tools out too. Thanks!

Cheers

Ian P.

Members who have read this thread: 0