Hi, new here !

Thread: Hi, new here !

Hi, new here !

Hi simmers

am new here and wanted to introduce my self to you all. Been in flight sims for quite some time and enjoy it very much.
    I am retired police officer, an a exMarine 1st Force Recon, served 6 yrs, 2 tours in Nam, W.I.A twice.

Now I have a issue with FS9 NOT working! got it installed ok, but when I click on the icon on desktop a panel pops up asking if I
    want this program to make changes to my computer ??? Never had this happen before with other games, I have FSX installed
    and no problems, works just fine ! Is FS9 incompatible what's going on ? Can someone please help?

My computer specs
    Alienware Auroora 7
    Intel Core i7-8700 CPU@3.29 GHz [12CPUs] ~3.2 GHz
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit [10.0 build 16299]
    512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
    BIOS 1.0.2
    DirectX 12
    RAM 16384MB, 2666MHz, DDR4
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X [Latest Drivers]
    Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2

Regards
    Bubbado

Welcome to the SOH, Bubbado. You are among friends here, a nice lot of folks. Enjoy your stay, mate!

As far as your FS9 install goes... here's how I did mine; C:\FS Games\Flight Simulator 9. Run as administrator. I keep all of my Flightsim software in it's own location on the HD and it seems to work for me.
    I run Windows 7 Pro, so not really sure about Windows 10, but have a go with that if you want, or just hang out here for a bit. Someone will come along with a more definite answer, I'm sure.

Cheers and THANK YOU for your service!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbado View Post
    Hi simmers
    Hello and welcome Bubbado. The pop-up is a security feature of Windows 10. I see it when I start FS9, and click ok. The sim usually
    starts normally. I am not very PC literate, but other members here are quite knowledgeable (see above).

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    thanks for the link got the no CD and now FS9 works.

Regards
    Bubbado

Hello and welcome!

I think you'll find this site rather unusual, in a good way. You will surely find that while we don't have as many planes, skins and other things as the big download sites, much, perhaps most of what you'll see on our download list and in the library are unique to SOH, not available anywhere else.

This is also a great place to get your questions answered, whatever they might be.

I'm glad you got your FS9 issue fixed. I was going to make some suggestions but since I run W7pro, they might not have been completely appropriate for your W10 rig.

One thing that I will suggest, since it seems to be an issue in all Windows versions since Vista, is that you install FS( somewhere (anywhere!) other than it's default location in Program Files or Program Files (x86). That's because Windows' security features will try to prevent you from doing a lot of simple common things, like editing your aircraft.cfg file when you add a new skin to a plane for one example, or from installing various add-ons, in you keep it there. I use a separate partition for my FS9 installations (Golden Wings, FS1954, FSJetAge and FS2004) but I believe a new folder on your C drive would function just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Hello and welcome!

I think you'll find this site rather unusual, in a good way. You will surely find that while we don't have as many planes, skins and other things as the big download sites, much, perhaps most of what you'll see on our download list and in the library are unique to SOH, not available anywhere else.

This is also a great place to get your questions answered, whatever they might be.

I'm glad you got your FS9 issue fixed. I was going to make some suggestions but since I run W7pro, they might not have been completely appropriate for your W10 rig.

One thing that I will suggest, since it seems to be an issue in all Windows versions since Vista, is that you install FS( somewhere (anywhere!) other than it's default location in Program Files or Program Files (x86). That's because Windows' security features will try to prevent you from doing a lot of simple common things, like editing your aircraft.cfg file when you add a new skin to a plane for one example, or from installing various add-ons, in you keep it there. I use a separate partition for my FS9 installations (Golden Wings, FS1954, FSJetAge and FS2004) but I believe a new folder on your C drive would function just as well.
    Thanks you are quite right about W10 not letting me editing the aircraft cfg file and adding skins, Very annoying for sure, Am going to put another HD [2gig] in computer and put my games on it.
    Do not want to sound, Dahhhm but what do you mean a separate partition ? Another HD ?

A warm welcome from chilly Minnesota. This is an enduring site due to the sage administrators and considerate folk that give life to it. Glad your FS9 is up.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Do not want to sound, Dahhhm but what do you mean a separate partition ? Another HD ?
    A "Partition" is a software way to divide physical HD into smaller sections, each with it's own Drive Letter.
    Say you put a 2 Gig HD into your computer. That's pretty big, so you partition it out into 2, 1 Gig drives. Say your original drive is C:\ (not partitioned). The new one you installed would become Drives D:\ and E:\ . One physical HD, with 2 "Logical" drives on it.
    This can be a good idea, because the bigger the drive, the longer the search times. Partitioning it out will speed search times, and help you keep your software organized. For example, it's considered a very good idea to put your pagefile onto a different drive than your OS. So, you add a physical HD, but if you want, you can make D:\, for example, just a little bigger than your max pagefile size setting. Fast search time, good for pagefile use. Then you want your flight sim on it's own drive. Make another partition, say E:\, of 1 Gig just for everything sim. Now, the rest of the physical drive, say F:\, can be for "all other" software you don't want to have messing with your OS or sim.
    BE WARNED: The partitioning process erases everything on the physical drive, so you have to do it when you first add the physical drive. If you decide you want another partition, once you load you software, it will be erased. You must partition it out before you install ANYthing on it. So a little pre-planning is essential.

Hope this helps a little...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbado View Post
    Thanks you are quite right about W10 not letting me editing the aircraft cfg file and adding skins, Very annoying for sure, Am going to put another HD [2gig] in computer and put my games on it.
    I see that you have a reply from someone who understands this stuff better than I do! I know what a partition is but haven't the slightest idea how to set one up. My techie friend did it for me when he rebuilt my confutor.

I do know that a second HD would be much the same, excepting for the caveat about search times mentioned by PhantomTweak. I'm pretty sure from what I've read in this forum in the past that the simjple solution, a new folder on your HD outside of Program Files and Program Files (x86) would work to free you from the constraints MS built into the Program Files folders.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    A "Partition" is a software way to divide physical HD into smaller sections, each with it's own Drive Letter.
    Say you put a 2 Gig HD into your computer. That's pretty big, so you partition it out into 2, 1 Gig drives. Say your original drive is C:\ (not partitioned). The new one you installed would become Drives D:\ and E:\ . One physical HD, with 2 "Logical" drives on it.
    This can be a good idea, because the bigger the drive, the longer the search times. Partitioning it out will speed search times, and help you keep your software organized. For example, it's considered a very good idea to put your pagefile onto a different drive than your OS. So, you add a physical HD, but if you want, you can make D:\, for example, just a little bigger than your max pagefile size setting. Fast search time, good for pagefile use. Then you want your flight sim on it's own drive. Make another partition, say E:\, of 1 Gig just for everything sim. Now, the rest of the physical drive, say F:\, can be for "all other" software you don't want to have messing with your OS or sim.
    BE WARNED: The partitioning process erases everything on the physical drive, so you have to do it when you first add the physical drive. If you decide you want another partition, once you load you software, it will be erased. You must partition it out before you install ANYthing on it. So a little pre-planning is essential.

Hope this helps a little...
    Pat☺
    Thanks PhantomTweak for the reply, I understand most of what you said, just got this rig a month ago, AWSOME rig,! Going to add another HD, a 2 gig and more memory to bump it up to
    30+gigs.

My computer specs
    Alienware Auroora 7
    Intel Core i7-8700 CPU@3.29 GHz [12CPUs] ~3.2 GHz
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit [10.0 build 16299]
    512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
    BIOS 1.0.2
    DirectX 12
    RAM 16384MB, 2666MHz, DDR4
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X [Latest Drivers]
    Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2

I know what a partition is but haven't the slightest idea how to set one up.
    Not as hard as you may think. A lot of new HD's, when you plug them in for the very first time, will either take you to or tell you how to open the computer's Administrative Tools, to set up the new HD. Will it be in a RAID configuration, or whatever. During all this you can tell it to make any partitions you want, and what size you want them, and what drive letters you want them to have. If you don't specify drive letters, it will automatically just make them the next in order. D:, E:, F:, and so on. Once all this fun is over, it will then format the new HD, which is where all the deletion of any and all data on it will occur. Then, the HD is usable.
    Formatting is a pretty good way, BTW, of getting rid of, permanently, any data you want to vanish. Unlike "erasing" things with a standard "delete" command, which leaves the data on the HD, just changes the first character of the file's name to a "?". That's how the forensic and tech types can "get back" erased items. They go in, find the "erased" file, and change the first character back to something, like an A or whatever. Formatting actually removes files from the HD, permanently.
    You can also format manually, by opening a DOS window, and typing in Format (drive letter). Like Format D:\. However, it will totally wipe the entire drive. To wipe a single file, or sets of files, use a piece of software, like Norton's Wipefile. They can erase the file, and then over-write it's data with ones and zero's. It fits DOD requirements for data deletion.

@ Bubbado:
    That's a pretty good system, no question. If it were me, which it's not, I would see about a faster CPU, but that one's not bad.
    Bear in mind something about flight sims: It seems like no matter how big the HD is that you have, the flight sim will somehow expand to fill the whole friggen thing up. Addon planes, scenery, gauges, you name it. It just seems to keep adding up

Good fortune, and have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Not as hard as you may think. A lot of new HD's, when you plug them in for the very first time, will either take you to or tell you how to open the computer's Administrative Tools, to set up the new HD. Will it be in a RAID configuration, or whatever. During all this you can tell it to make any partitions you want, and what size you want them, and what drive letters you want them to have. If you don't specify drive letters, it will automatically just make them the next in order. D:, E:, F:, and so on. Once all this fun is over, it will then format the new HD, which is where all the deletion of any and all data on it will occur. Then, the HD is usable.
    Formatting is a pretty good way, BTW, of getting rid of, permanently, any data you want to vanish. Unlike "erasing" things with a standard "delete" command, which leaves the data on the HD, just changes the first character of the file's name to a "?". That's how the forensic and tech types can "get back" erased items. They go in, find the "erased" file, and change the first character back to something, like an A or whatever. Formatting actually removes files from the HD, permanently.
    You can also format manually, by opening a DOS window, and typing in Format (drive letter). Like Format D:\. However, it will totally wipe the entire drive. To wipe a single file, or sets of files, use a piece of software, like Norton's Wipefile. They can erase the file, and then over-write it's data with ones and zero's. It fits DOD requirements for data deletion.

@ Bubbado:
    That's a pretty good system, no question. If it were me, which it's not, I would see about a faster CPU, but that one's not bad.
    Bear in mind something about flight sims: It seems like no matter how big the HD is that you have, the flight sim will somehow expand to fill the whole friggen thing up. Addon planes, scenery, gauges, you name it. It just seems to keep adding up

Good fortune, and have fun!
    Pat☺
    Thanks man I appreciate you breaking down the way to partition a HD in terms I can understand better. When I get my other HD I will do this and get my games off the main HD.
    Although my system is separate on the SSD, which I like better than being on main HD, I may uninstall every thing and partition it.

Thanks again
    PhantomTweak
    , you have been a great help.
    Bubbado

Glad I could be of help

One thing: SSD's don't require partitioning. Their search speed is the max, no matter how big they are. Yes, it's a good idea to make a separate partition for your pagefile, but other than that...

Now, if you put in a 2 Gig regular HD (Not SSD), yes, definately partition it.

Also, when you designate your pagefile parameters, it works best to make it a fixed size, generally 2.5 X RAM memory size. Like if you have 10 MB of RAM, you want the pagefile to be 2.5 X 10, or 25 MB. This keeps the OS from wasting time making the pagefile bigger and smaller as it goes. It just uses it. Saves some read/write time. Personally, I like to make mine 3 X Ram. I just like to have a little cushion. So, if I were putting in a new HD, I would make one partition 40 MB for the 30 MB pagefile. Just good to have a little wiggle-room. Keeps every thing happy.

Good luck, and a belated Welcome Aboard!
    Sorry, I forget the niceties sometimes
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

... It seems like no matter how big the HD is that you have, the flight sim will somehow expand to fill the whole friggen thing up. Addon planes, scenery, gauges, you name it. It just seems to keep adding up ...
    PhantomTweak's Law: A FS installation will always expand to fill the available space.

Sounds valid to me!

Not as hard as you may think...
    Pat☺
    Thanks for the explanation. I seem to have worn out another hard drive (or two, my rig has a pair) and my techie friend will be rebuilding my rig again soon. I recall watching him set up the partitions the last time, and I will pay more attention this time and understand it better. But I will continue to be grateful that I have a friend with professional experience who is happy to do this stuff for me in exchange for pizza and beer!

Welcome aboard Bubbado!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    PhantomTweak's Law: A FS installation will always expand to fill the available space.

Sounds valid to me!

Almost but not quite: ...will always expand to fill the available friggen space.

But close enough!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Welcome Bubbado! I am also a retired police officer. Sergeant, Indianapolis Police Dept. of 29 1/2 yrs. service. 6 years Air Force as a crew chief. This is the best place for simmers.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    Welcome Bubbado! I am also a retired police officer. Sergeant, Indianapolis Police Dept. of 29 1/2 yrs. service. 6 years Air Force as a crew chief. This is the best place for simmers.
    Thanks all for your reply's and comments,

stoney
    Thank you for your service as a vet and police officer sir. And brother, those who served in service either Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines, no matter what branch one served, WE ARE ALL BROTHERS !
    And in law in forcemeat as well, that is MHO.

Semper Fi, Brother!

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Members +
    If your sim has been installed in it's default location & you are having config editing issues, you do not have to uninstall & then re-instal!

Simple.. to make it easier, i use a copy program from https://www.codesector.com/teracopy called teracopy.
    It is probably the fastest copy program out there.
    So, optionally download & install that
    Then, go to your Microsoft Games folder in C:\Program Files (X86), it probably is there, & copy the whole ' Flight Simulator 9' folder
    then, go to your C:\ drive, & paste it there.
    DO NOT RUN YET.
    Now for the 'delicate part' ...
    Rename the newly pasted folder to 'Flight Simulator 91' for example.
    Open that folder & rename the FS9.exe to FS91.exe,
    Right click that & send to desktop.
    You now have a new icon on your desktop for a second version of Flightsim 9.

Now run it!
    You most probably have to activate your add-on scenery again.

Then, go to https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library & download the Registry Repair tool, run that & select tyhe FS2004 option.

ALL should be good.
    IF you do have any start up issues after all this, Right click the desktop icon, Select compatibility mode & select Windows XP, then, below that, Run as Admin.

It almost is quicker to do than to explain.

Using this method, you can have multiple versions of FS2004, remembering to rename the main folder & exe every time.
    I have 3 different versions, a 'normal' version, a Golden Wings version & a Ford Tri-motor Project version, each with different scenery & planes.

I hope I have not confuddled you

All the best,
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

zswobbie1

Ihan
    you, sir, this is a idea I was thinking about doing, but did not want to mess with the registry. Thank you again !

Members +
    No Problem, It works every time.
    I have a basic backup on a portable drive that consists of the sim, extra scenery & planes. & I use that as a default install for new members at our virtual club. It's about 7GB & pretty quick & easy to copy & paste. I must have done this about 50 times aver the years. No problems, ever, on Windows 7, 8 & 10!

Welcome bubbado you never did mention that were from somewhere and I'd like to know where you're from. I'm from southwest Ontario in Canada, how bout you...glad you got the win10/fs9 issue sorted...people like the guy with the cat/hat avatar helps out a lot...like has a lot to say and is here a lot to help those struggling or to tag along in convos about fs2004....

welcome me to the forum area and hope you enjoy your stay...

Members who have read this thread: 0