Firefox V59.0.1

Thread: Firefox V59.0.1

Firefox V59.0.1

If you have installed this update and found that pages, graphics etc. don't load correctly or at all, try this:
    If you have "cleartype" turned off. . .turn it on and everything goes back to normal.

I installed the update this morning and nothing was loading. Went looking on the firefox site and found the solution from several who had the same problem.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Thanks Ed. Been looking for a solution all weekend long! Never saw a solution on the FF site but have un and re installed several times at their recommendation without affect.

BTW viewing now with Chrome!

Steve

EDIT:...
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Most solutions re Firefox issues involve uninstalling Firefox.
    Most issues re Firefox are caused by installing Firefox.

The answer isn't rocket surgery...

It becomes rocket surgery when you don't have a clue its Firefox and Firefox doesn't have clue either!
    So, a tip to the unititiated is certainly appreciated and can be astronomically (pun intended) effective to those attempting, what to them, may be rocket surgery.
    Duckie

Ah, so it wasn't just me!

Yesterday, or the day before, Firefox updated itself to v59.0.1 and I was caught by surprise. My settings are for Firefox to ask me first when an update is available, and this time it didn't ask, it just went ahead and did the update by itself.

In the process it changed all my settings back to default and disabled my add-ons.

I didn't have the problem mentioned above, but I had plenty of problems before I figured out what was going on and re-set all my settings.

This is not the first time that a Firefox update has changed some of my settings, though when it happened before it was less drastic than this time.

It has me wondering - when a website or a piece of software changes a user's settings without permission, doesn't that meet the accepted (and legal?) definition of malware?

I am relieved that I was able to fix the resulting issues, but rather annoyed that I had to take the time and trouble to do it.

I'm double relieved because I've been having confutor issues and at first I thought it was my rig screwing up. I sympathize with all of you, but I'm relieved that it wasn't just my system.

SOH-CM-2023
    I have gone to the Opera browser with my Windows 10 Pro and have had no problem with it. I like the fact that it also offers a free VPN in the settings should you want to use one. I just got so tired of Firefox coming up with their version of "Well, lookee here, we had a problem .... and we crashed."

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Most solutions re Firefox issues involve uninstalling Firefox.
    Most issues re Firefox are caused by installing Firefox.

The answer isn't rocket surgery...
    I've looked long and hard for am suitable reaction gif/picture, but I figure this one sums it up pretty nicely:

- Edit:

Wait, this one is even better!

Bjoern.....there's a reason Firefox is at version 59.0.1 .... the previous ones had issues too....
    The number of times its revisions have broken its GUI [as evidenced by such shell enhancements as Windowblinds] is pretty much every time....
    Bit like the fame associated with Norton and 'the false-positive'.

BTW....apt gifs in as much as I've met Rowan Atkinson [one year at the Adelaide F1 Grand Prix]...

im with v56, as from 57 onwards a lot of 3rd party addons wont integrate ie download accelerators, dictionaries (and I need them)

55 and 56 were the most stable ive encountered, you can always go to the legacy page and download a older version, just remember to turn off auto updates

I've clearly been lucky here then because I haven't had a single crash with Firefox since they changed to Quantum (v57) last year. My fallback is Opera but it doesn't seem quite as fast as Firefox even with the VPN turned off. As for download accelerators, I've been successfully using Free Download Manager with all of the latest versions of Firefox (currently using v59.0.1).

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    I've clearly been lucky here then because I haven't had a single crash with Firefox since they changed to Quantum (v57) last year. My fallback is Opera but it doesn't seem quite as fast as Firefox even with the VPN turned off. As for download accelerators, I've been successfully using Free Download Manager with all of the latest versions of Firefox (currently using v59.0.1).
    I know everyone has their own preferences and their reasons for using one over another. . .I guess it's a case of "whatever floats yer boat". Personally, like you, I have never had any real problems with Firefox, certainly nothing that would cause me to drop it and never go back. Also, like your experience, I have always used IDM for downloads and never found it to be a problem at all. . .up to and including this current version.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    DITTO!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I know everyone has their own preferences and their reasons for using one over another. . .I guess it's a case of "whatever floats yer boat". Personally, like you, I have never had any real problems with Firefox, certainly nothing that would cause me to drop it and never go back. Also, like your experience, I have always used IDM for downloads and never found it to be a problem at all. . .up to and including this current version.
    and DITTO!!
    Duckie

Members who have read this thread: 0