Compatibility Question

Thread: Compatibility Question

Compatibility Question

So I've been looking for new stuff to fly and decided to play with rotary wing aircraft for a bit. I went to Nemeth Designs and got the FS9 Mi-17 and Ka-26 (which were freeware) to see if they worked in FSX. They do with a minor rotor disc/ scenery issue that I half expected. I liked them so I got the Hind B which installed nicely but when I went to install the FSX CH-53 the installer didn't have an FSX dedicated route, only one for Steam. I put it in a folder on the desktop and installed it manually like I would an FS9 bird and it works just fine. (Now I want to get their Tarhe/Skycrane!) Does this mean all titles listed as "FSX SE" will work in Acceleration? Also, is there a trick to get titles for CFS2 and 3 to work in FSX? I tried once but when I selected the plane from the menu nothing shows up in the sim.

Josh all their products are marked for compatibility.

The skycrane is clearly marked FSX in a red oval on the picture.

As a general rule, if it's made for FSX SP1, SP2, Acceleration, Deluxe, Gold, it will work fine in SE. The reverse is also true. If it's made for SE, it should work fine in FSX with Acceleration.
    I've found the biggest difference is USUALLY the autoinstaller. Ones made for FSX (Box) have trouble finding the SE install location. Quite often, the reverse is also true. Easiest way to overcome these limitations is to point the autoinstaller at an empty, easy to find, temp folder of some sort, then cut-n-paste the results into the chosen FSX installation manually. Just make sure the right files go into the right folder in the target FSX. You don't want effects files (*.fx) placed in the ...\FSX\Gauges folder, and so on.

Also, as a general rule, FS9 planes may, or may not work, in FSX. It's kind of a hit-n-miss proposition. Try and see. You may need different gauges, or sound files, or whatever.

And don't forget HTR! You simply can NOT fly helicopters in MSFS, whatever version, without it. The v.6.2 is for FSX:SE, v.6.0 works very nicely for FSX (box), and so on.

Naturally, FSUIPC is in the same boat. You need the right version for the sim you're using.

Does this help? At all?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Josh all their products are marked for compatibility.

The skycrane is clearly marked FSX in a red oval on the picture.
    As was the CH-53. It was just the installer that was not giving the option between FSX and FSX SE.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    As a general rule, if it's made for FSX SP1, SP2, Acceleration, Deluxe, Gold, it will work fine in SE. The reverse is also true. If it's made for SE, it should work fine in FSX with Acceleration.
    I've found the biggest difference is USUALLY the autoinstaller. Ones made for FSX (Box) have trouble finding the SE install location. Quite often, the reverse is also true. Easiest way to overcome these limitations is to point the autoinstaller at an empty, easy to find, temp folder of some sort, then cut-n-paste the results into the chosen FSX installation manually. Just make sure the right files go into the right folder in the target FSX. You don't want effects files (*.fx) placed in the ...\FSX\Gauges folder, and so on.

Also, as a general rule, FS9 planes may, or may not work, in FSX. It's kind of a hit-n-miss proposition. Try and see. You may need different gauges, or sound files, or whatever.

And don't forget HTR! You simply can NOT fly helicopters in MSFS, whatever version, without it. The v.6.2 is for FSX:SE, v.6.0 works very nicely for FSX (box), and so on.

Naturally, FSUIPC is in the same boat. You need the right version for the sim you're using.

Does this help? At all?
    Pat☺
    This is good news. I had been eyeing the Virtavia E-2 Hawkeye but was worried as it was listed as SE only. I have FSUIPC set up on my machine, but what is HTR? I have been flying helicopters just fine without it. Does it run both functions of the collective rather than just using my throttle lever for power?

HTR is Helicopter Total Realism. A small, but very powerful and effective, program to make the sim make your helicopter actually act like a real helicopter would. Unlike the way the sim treats helicopters alone. It was written by an Aeronautical Physics engineer, with help and advice from both real-world and sim helicopter pilots.
    It runs alongside the sim, and takes what the sim is telling the helicopter you're using, and your inputs, and makes what the helicopter act much more like a real one would. I strongly recommend it if you want to improve the realism of how helicopters act in the sims. Remember, MSFS, in it's various incarnations, is notoriously bad with helicopters. HTR corrects this.
    It has an entire forum of it's own over on Hovercontrol, it's so important to them. Hovercontrol is, in my opinion, the premier helicopter site on the net. You can find the HTR forum here: http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/...i?;act=SF;f=53 .
    Just like here, you need to register to post, but over-all, it's really a very good site. They have a ton of helicopters, paints for them, scenery specific to helicopters, panels, gauges, etc, etc. If you're interested in helicopters, it's definately a site to look through.

Another dandy little bit of help available for those who don't use HTR, for whatever reason, is this: http://www.hovercontrol.com/artman/p...ticle_67.shtml . It's in two parts, both available in the library I posted. Written by Jordan Moore, an absolutely brilliant helicopter developer, among many other talents. Give it a read. I still use both articles as references myself.

Hope this helps a little...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    HTR is Helicopter Total Realism. A small, but very powerful and effective, program to make the sim make your helicopter actually act like a real helicopter would. Unlike the way the sim treats helicopters alone. It was written by an Aeronautical Physics engineer, with help and advice from both real-world and sim helicopter pilots.
    It runs alongside the sim, and takes what the sim is telling the helicopter you're using, and your inputs, and makes what the helicopter act much more like a real one would. I strongly recommend it if you want to improve the realism of how helicopters act in the sims. Remember, MSFS, in it's various incarnations, is notoriously bad with helicopters. HTR corrects this.
    It has an entire forum of it's own over on Hovercontrol, it's so important to them. Hovercontrol is, in my opinion, the premier helicopter site on the net. You can find the HTR forum here: http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/...i?;act=SF;f=53 .
    Just like here, you need to register to post, but over-all, it's really a very good site. They have a ton of helicopters, paints for them, scenery specific to helicopters, panels, gauges, etc, etc. If you're interested in helicopters, it's definately a site to look through.

Another dandy little bit of help available for those who don't use HTR, for whatever reason, is this: http://www.hovercontrol.com/artman/p...ticle_67.shtml . It's in two parts, both available in the library I posted. Written by Jordan Moore, an absolutely brilliant helicopter developer, among many other talents. Give it a read. I still use both articles as references myself.

Hope this helps a little...
    Pat☺
    Thanks Pat, I'll check it out. Sounds like that'll make for a little more challenging experience. I have just seen a collective on ebay for $300 (or the whole smash with pedals and cyclic for $1400). It would be nice to have an input device that works as in real life, but man that's a lot of cheddar!

Members who have read this thread: 1