HELP! How to get tool menu for FSX SDK?

Thread: HELP! How to get tool menu for FSX SDK?

HELP! How to get tool menu for FSX SDK?

Help! - New to FSX but attempted to install FSX SDK from disk one of Gold edition. Seems to put files on hard drive but no toolkit tab or menu in FSX?
    Did I miss something? Any one that knows about the SDK install, can ya help, please.

Ed

Check that the entries in for the sim-based SDK tools in the dll.xml point to the correct folders.

Didn't quite escape.
    For menu entries to appear in FSX, you have to enable them (set enable to TRUE) in dll.xml - otherwise, they're all disabled by default.

Ian P.

Ed,

See the attached explanation.

Open Maxscript menu

Select and Run FS Tools Menu

You may have to run that 6-8 times before the FSTOOLS Menu item shows.

EDIT: I assume you followed the SDK Installation Guide WIKI from FSDeveloper?

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/ind...allation_(FSX)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-mar-16-001.jpg   ms-2018-mar-16-002.jpg   ms-2018-mar-16-003.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Ok, Installed per directions. Where do I find this -
    Maxscript, not found it on my system. Still no menus.
    Again, thanks all for all the help. Will continue my search this weekend.....take care.
    Ed

Great idea, wow, many people having problems with SDK.
    I feel better-not very user friendly! It should not be so difficult!

Getting ADE setup is easy vs SDK toolkit! Agin, thanks but it
    may be long time project to get this FSX setup right, FS9 is much
    more friendly!
    Ed

If the installation of the SDK tools already poses a massive problem for you, be warned that the SDK itself and all related development tools are not user friendly at all.

Getting closer!

OK, getting closer now. SDK loaded and working. Only three tools can be accessed within FSX, Effects tool, Object Placement tool and the 3 part Traffic tools.
    Found the Traffic toolkit DLL.XMS file - path seems correct but two entries are false and disabled but it seems to be in double negative form......sigh.

Question is: what is the editor tool of choice and is it as simple as changing the FALSE to TRUE? Years ago, Dave 'Opa' Marshal helped me with a fuel trigger
    in FS9 and it seems we edited a small segment of xml - I am just very hazy (I am old)?! Thanks in advance.

Ed

Didn't quite escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by edmoore235 View Post
    OK, getting closer now. SDK loaded and working. Only three tools can be accessed within FSX, Effects tool, Object Placement tool and the 3 part Traffic tools.
    Found the Traffic toolkit DLL.XMS file - path seems correct but two entries are false and disabled but it seems to be in double negative form......sigh.

Question is: what is the editor tool of choice and is it as simple as changing the FALSE to TRUE? Years ago, Dave 'Opa' Marshal helped me with a fuel trigger
    in FS9 and it seems we edited a small segment of xml - I am just very hazy (I am old)?! Thanks in advance.

Ed
    What are you trying to achieve, Ed?

If you're just trying to edit airfields using ADE then you don't need to access the SDK, you just need to have it installed. ADE accesses files from it to compile airports, but you can fully edit and create new airports without leaving ADE.

If you are creating AI traffic then there are >much< easier tools than the SDK and xml files which you can use to create it: I use a tool called AI Flight Planner, for example.

It'll help us give you better advice, if we know what the end goal of the installation is!

Cheers,

Ian P.

Great question!

Well, I do use SDK Traffic Tools in FS9, three parts, works well. Want a similar option within FSX, use a Tool tab - easy to use.
    Object Placement tool, also uses a Tool tab in FSX, also Effects tool, for creating and placing special effects, no FS9 effects will
    work in FSX. I am just not savvy about XML code. Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.
    NOTE: I use the TweakFS bundle for FS9 and FSX. Also have the TweakFS ScreenShot for both
    FS9 and FSX......

Ed

Great Stuff! Got it working.....

Took a few attempts but now have a TOOLs TAB added to FSX. Works well. Used TweakFS XML editor, free util. Changed two entries and it works!
    My THANKS to all - Milton, Bjorn and all who responded. Great help. Not too old, yet, to learn. Smile!
    (Note: I may never use the OBJECT Placement tool but it is there..)!!!

Ed Moore

Quote Originally Posted by edmoore235 View Post
    Took a few attempts but now have a TOOLs TAB added to FSX. Works well. Used TweakFS XML editor, free util. Changed two entries and it works!
    My THANKS to all - Milton, Bjorn and all who responded. Great help. Not too old, yet, to learn. Smile!
    (Note: I may never use the OBJECT Placement tool but it is there..)!!!

Ed Moore
    Happy to hear you have it working Ed. I know it can be a source of frustration getting it all together.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Happy to hear you have it working Ed. I know it can be a source of frustration getting it all together.
    Milton, it is fun using both FSX & FS9. I plan on expanding my FSX
    usage! Again, to everyone.
    Ed

Examples of the TOOLS tab added to FSX

Below are a few screenshots of the added SDK Toolkit TOOLS tab.

The tool that I used to edit the XML file was TweakXML Toolbox, a free util from Tweak.com. It is very easy to use, even
    for an old guy like me (smile). Only needed three entries to be changed. Enjoy.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2018-mar-23-005.jpg   -2018-mar-23-008.jpg   -2018-mar-23-004.jpg   -2018-mar-23-007.jpg   -2018-mar-23-009.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Theres never a "Like" button when you want one.. Great job. Congrats ..
    Pam

Members who have read this thread: 0