Avro Vulcan

Thread: Avro Vulcan

Icon28 Avro Vulcan

Hi, can anybody recommend an decent Avro Vulcan (freeware/payware) for Fs9? How are freeware models compared to the payware from justflight?

Regards

daypharris :-)

Just Flight has a very nice representation of the Avro Vulcan for FS9... I don't know of any freeware models for the big jet that stack up as well as the payware version does... but there may be some good ones out there.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Hi Daypharris,

I guess it depends a bit, on what your definition of "decent" is and how deeply you prefer the system-simulation of the aircraft. As mentioned by Blackbird there is the just flight payware. However I just had a look at their site and can't find the FS9 version anymore.(Only the FSX upgrade, but thats not the complete product)

As far as I' m aware,that one was basically the old PSS (rings a bell? ;-)) product , which is now again available under their new name blackbox simulation here, however with quite a price tag for such an old release, in my personal opinion:

http://www.blackboxsimulation.com/in...4/avro-vulcan/

An even older / earlier version of the PSS vulcan is available at flightsim.com as freeware , the file name is "pdvul427.zip"
    Coincidently I tried it again a while ago, it's actually not that bad at all, considering its vintage, but is has no VC and it only simulates the most common systems.
    If you don't like its cramped photoreal panel, with relatively tiny gauges, there is another replacement 2d panel for it on simviation, name: "Vulcan_Panel.zip".
    Its officially for FSX, but should work in FS9.

Then there is also on flightsim.com a file "vulcan.zip" , another freeware Vulcan , with basic VC, but you have to try for yourself, regarding its quality.

Well as far as I know, thats more or less basically all there is. I recently also had a vulcan-phase and went looking for any freeware/payware out there, but the above
    are the best options I came up with.
    If you absolutely want to have a relatively "deep" simulation, there is probably only the PSS/JF payware option.

FSX is a different matter, the IRIS version seems to be rather nice and Just Flights inhouse development team is also working on a state of the art FSX / P3D rendition of the aircraft.

Anyway , hope I could help you out a bit,

Kind regards,

Oliver

The link to Blackbox Sim for the PSS Vulcan says "Product Discontinued" just below the pic on the download page. If you cant get it from there and still fancy the Just Flight Vulcan, you may want to look over at the Flight Sim Pilot Shop. They may sponsor that product, but it is an older version, so they may have dropped it too.

I purchased the Vulcan I have from Just Flight.... years ago.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

In my hangar I found a large multi-variant package by Paul Foster without a VC, a B.Mk.2A by D'Attomo & Quai with a VC, and a B.Mk.2 by Kazunori Ito without VC. All are freeware.

I can't recommend any of them from flight experience because I've never flown any of them - just one of many, many types I've stashed in my hangar for the time when I finally get tired of fiddling with aircraft and scenery and start flying more often.

Any of them seem worth a look, unless you really need a VC; then there'd only be the D'Attomo & Quai model. That's the one mentioned above. If you have a hex editor you could always make the 3D model visible in VC view on the Foster or Ito models and adjust the eyepoint for a crude, non-dynamic pseudo VC, but you couldn't put any instruments in it. It would, though, give you the ability to look out the windscreen and side windows from inside the plane, which is better than nothing.

I would highly recommend the virtavia/alphasim freeware model. I even paired it to Kelvin Keeble's Vulcan soundpack even though it is for fsx.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    The link to Blackbox Sim for the PSS Vulcan says "Product Discontinued" just below the pic on the download page. If you cant get it from there and still fancy the Just Flight Vulcan, you may want to look over at the Flight Sim Pilot Shop. They may sponsor that product, but it is an older version, so they may have dropped it too.

Blackbird,

good catch, I didn't notice that (I wonder how, since its written in big fat red letters?!) .
    This product seems to be increasingly hard to come by then.
    Maybe its available on ebay or similar as the original boxed/CD version.

KInd regards,

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by BoeingvsAirbusNKL View Post
    I would highly recommend the virtavia/alphasim freeware model. I even paired it to Kelvin Keeble's Vulcan soundpack even though it is for fsx.
    Great suggestion! Somehow I missed that one. Thanks!

Hello simmers! Many thanks for nice response regarding the Vulcan. It seems Justflight offers the old PSS. If the price is OK, maybe I go for it. Yesterday I had the good old Alphasim freeware-Vulcan for a spin. Oliver came with some good freeware suggestions I will look into (Paul Foster).
    This magnificent coldwar-machine is such a sight!! Roy Chadwicks art of engineer! The father of Avro Lancaster started this project with the Vulcan already in 1947!!

I havent made the step to the "dark side"(FSX) yet. The Iris model look really nice!

Best regards
    daypharris

Quote Originally Posted by Flapsfull View Post
    Maybe its available on ebay or similar as the original boxed/CD version.
    Just a word of caution if your on Windows 10. The JF discs require Check disc software to authenticate the DVD/CD. Unfortunately Microsft saw fit to remove this from Windows 10 effectively turning in one fell swoop all my JF discs into coffee coasters. Thanks Microsoft.

PS. There is a rather risky and somewhat complicated workaround that I am yet to try.

Jamie

Members who have read this thread: 0