Broken Software Two Strikes and Counting - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken Software Two Strikes and Counting

I have similar setup to Dimus and n4gix....my workstation backs up every 24 hours to a NAS (that also holds all my software installs including flightsim addons). The NAS backs up to cloud every night.

If need be, I can set the NAS to sync with cloud in real time. When I am working on a scenery project, for example.

While I understand the frustration, I don't think MS Update has anything to do with your loss of files.
    I'd rather investigate about these blue screens from the previous week you mentioned.
    And given your history with computer/hard drivers failures (if I'm not confusing with anybody else... You had a complete crash not so long ago, didn't you ? ), I'd also investigate about my computer cooling system and power supply.

Sometimes blue screens in Windows are due to bad drivers... but sometimes, there are also due to:
    - overheat (and no, you CANNOT trust the temperature sensors of your motherboard/BIOS)
    - faulty / instable power supply (PSU of the computer case, or maybe even the power from your house/appartment)
    - BIOS version (on my Asus motherboard, I had to update the BIOS twice util I could download a file without any corruption...)
    - these old spinning shiny noisy things from the previous century (harddrives), when they get a physical problem (bad sector or even an error in the file system), may cause havoc. A bad sector made my computer freeze for 30 seconds, then work again for 2 seconds before it froze again, in an infinite cycle... blue sreens are also an option.

Windows Update can mess up our software by creating incompatibilities, yes. But it has never damaged or removed any personal files that I know about.

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    For the second time in less than three months, I have had a catastrophic loss of Photoshop layered files after/during a Windows update.

I have become familiar with the sound...I will be working and the CPU begins to rattle and grind. I go in to the Task Manager/Performance and sure enough...Ethernet and C Drive are running WFO, and approaching Myocardial infarction. I sprint back into Photoshop to save the forty plus layer file that I have been working on for weeks and weeks. Progress bar ticks away...file saved.

If I'm lucky, I can re-start the computer, but over the last week I've had as series of blue screen crashes..."Windows Has Run Into A Problem". Twice, I have booted back into "Don't Turn Off Your Computer"...Windows updating again....again....again.

Yesterday morning, I was working on the artwork for the B-26K Counter Invader...specifically "Special Kay". The file is the sacred, parent file for all of the various bump maps, specular files, texture sets for various skins etc. It is the repository of hundreds of hours of meticulous hand painted art.

For the second time in three months, following a Windows update, the precious artwork was reduced to a single red and black "background" layer...a seven hundred thirty five meg "background" layer.

What formerly was a file that produced this, and seven other variants of the K

has been unceremoniously squashed into a useless lump of red and black. The first time it happened, I began from scratch and rebuilt the entire file set. This time...I've had it. I'm not going to do it again. I do have a backup, but that file is the basic fundamentals without the nuance and balance of the variables that help the file match the wings, tails, nacelles and other bits that create the composite airplane.

I am at the redline, leg breaking, steam from my ears level of frustration with these software platforms that prioritize themselves over my best efforts to screen my system from these constant invasions. I know that Windows latest set of suppositories is for 5G network, "Internet of Things" integration...so my right to protect my art, my energy, my time is not a consideration.

Frankly, I'm at the point of abandoning all of this work and opting for a quiet life in the mountains rather than the repeated head smashing I have dealt with over the course of the last seven years. I could go on...but I'm sure you get my point on this matter.

This won't help remedy your current predicament but when I used to work on projects, I would always make incremental saves after advancing through the project ie project001.psd, project002.psd etc in the case of photoshop. I would also save to a second storage device such as an external drive/nas drive etc

Keith
    i9-10900k @ 5GHz | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz C16 | ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti O12G Gaming
    i7-4790k @ 4GHz | 32GB DDR3 2133MHz | AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
    Win 10 Pro 22H2 x64 | GeForce 552.12 WHQL | Oculus Rift CV1 & S | Acer Predator XB281HK G-Sync 4K | Saitek X52 | T.Flight Rudder Pedals | MS Sidewinder FF2 | FS9, FSX, FSX SE, P3D V2, V3, V4, V5, V6, FSW, XP 10.51, XP 11.55, XP 12.0.9-rc-5, AFS2, AFS4, FlyInside FS, DCS, MSFS

Blog Entries
    First, I'd like to thank everyone who posted and offered help, solutions, experience and support. I know everyone here has gone through the same thing at least once. I have a great deal of respect for each and every one of you, and I do take your advice under consideration.

My work flow is very similar to many of the suggestions here. I do the work, save continually during the work, then save out the work to three separate locations. Two of the locations are remote, but I can't afford a cloud like Dropbox. (Hopefully, that will change in the future). I also have a fireproof safe that is the repository of my work going all the way back to '93. I do have a Windows 7 box but need to replace the CPU, which froze to death inside the house about three years ago when we went 15 degrees below zero for a week.

My preferred work flow would be to have an isolated Windows 10 work box, with a clean HD and OS that never plugs in to the net. The Windows 7 box would be dedicated to GMAX and other 32-bit platforms that work quite happily in that environment. The work from that box can be transferred to the isolated box via thumb drive, but that is still risky. For the sim I need a dedicated simulator rock crusher that can be online. I need a third box.

I still own two of my NT boxes that I built in 2000. Both have broken HD, but I can remedy that eventually. Those boxes are great for running my plotter and other older bits of tech. It all comes down to budget for me.

I agree in principal that Win10 updates probably aren't directly responsible for breaking any components or software, but I still find it not coincidental that the HD began to spool up while I was in Photoshop with the file that became corrupted open. I saved out, while the drive was running 100% with the incoming update. Somewhere in that mix, the saved file was compressed to a single layer. I haven't been able to figure out how to get into that file and rescue the data, which is now locked inside. I hadn't backed up the file because I had been working on it all morning...with multiple saves. I had closed, the file for an hour or so, then re-opened it. Within about five minutes the system went into overdrive as the update came in. When I saved the file this time, the file was corrupted during the save.

I know it was an update because the computer went into a memory leak situation after the incoming. I re-booted the system and there was the Windows Update screen.

Knowing what I know about AI, dark web, bots, black hat hackers, white hat hackers and Microsoft' propensity for forcing updates and operating systems "by mistake"....

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...k-updates.html

I come away with the resigned realization that we are not in Kansas any longer and the internet is just not a warm and fuzzy place. My consternation comes from knowing that I need to be up to date and educated in 64-bit, PBR, State-of-the-Art rendering technology if I wish to move forward with my intended development and projects. It's a conundrum. Every so often I take a direct hit and I am forced to re-evaluate the cost benefit. My wife will second that motion. She has to live with me. I am a one man show, there's no team or back up, so when things go wrong it is a big step backward.

Looking at the entire scenario in the aggregate, my observation is that we are all trying to move forward with our development and learning curve...smack dab in the middle of a digital Jerry Springer Show. It wasn't always like this, and hopefully things will change for the better as we move through this volatility towards a more balanced "Global Village"...or until the entire frickin' thing blows entirely. lol

Thanks for reading and I love every one of ya'.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Well spoken and mature reply Gman! I am certainly thankful for the work you and other freeware developers do each and every day. Thank you again for your candid reply.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

First, I'd like to thank everyone who posted and offered help, solutions, experience and support. I know everyone here has gone through the same thing at least once. I have a great deal of respect for each and every one of you, and I do take your advice under consideration.

My work flow is very similar to many of the suggestions here. I do the work, save continually during the work, then save out the work to three separate locations. Two of the locations are remote, but I can't afford a cloud like Dropbox. (Hopefully, that will change in the future). I also have a fireproof safe that is the repository of my work going all the way back to '93. I do have a Windows 7 box but need to replace the CPU, which froze to death inside the house about three years ago when we went 15 degrees below zero for a week.

My preferred work flow would be to have an isolated Windows 10 work box, with a clean HD and OS that never plugs in to the net. The Windows 7 box would be dedicated to GMAX and other 32-bit platforms that work quite happily in that environment. The work from that box can be transferred to the isolated box via thumb drive, but that is still risky. For the sim I need a dedicated simulator rock crusher that can be online. I need a third box.

I still own two of my NT boxes that I built in 2000. Both have broken HD, but I can remedy that eventually. Those boxes are great for running my plotter and other older bits of tech. It all comes down to budget for me.

I agree in principal that Win10 updates probably aren't directly responsible for breaking any components or software, but I still find it not coincidental that the HD began to spool up while I was in Photoshop with the file that became corrupted open. I saved out, while the drive was running 100% with the incoming update. Somewhere in that mix, the saved file was compressed to a single layer. I haven't been able to figure out how to get into that file and rescue the data, which is now locked inside. I hadn't backed up the file because I had been working on it all morning...with multiple saves. I had closed, the file for an hour or so, then re-opened it. Within about five minutes the system went into overdrive as the update came in. When I saved the file this time, the file was corrupted during the save.

I know it was an update because the computer went into a memory leak situation after the incoming. I re-booted the system and there was the Windows Update screen.

Knowing what I know about AI, dark web, bots, black hat hackers, white hat hackers and Microsoft' propensity for forcing updates and operating systems "by mistake"....

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...k-updates.html

I come away with the resigned realization that we are not in Kansas any longer and the internet is just not a warm and fuzzy place. My consternation comes from knowing that I need to be up to date and educated in 64-bit, PBR, State-of-the-Art rendering technology if I wish to move forward with my intended development and projects. It's a conundrum. Every so often I take a direct hit and I am forced to re-evaluate the cost benefit. My wife will second that motion. She has to live with me. I am a one man show, there's no team or back up, so when things go wrong it is a big step backward.

Looking at the entire scenario in the aggregate, my observation is that we are all trying to move forward with our development and learning curve...smack dab in the middle of a digital Jerry Springer Show. It wasn't always like this, and hopefully things will change for the better as we move through this volatility towards a more balanced "Global Village"...or until the entire frickin' thing blows entirely. lol

Gordon, you are going to get through this rough patch. I seriously have the utmost respect for what you do and how it has basically been self taught. You're a builder and an explorer, and will find a way through it. I have no doubt that you won't give up! I've been really impressed with the PBR options for DCS. Join the darkside! (when you can) The rendering is bar-none. I'm really really hoping that P3D will at some point make the transition into full native PBR. This will make all current paints etc. obsolete, but is a necessary step to bring our hobby into the future of simulation immersion. I have no doubt that you've already started or are well into PBR, even though you're modest about it.

Here's a little idea of what it can look like, from paints I've been doing for DCS. For those not following the DCS threads at all or are unfamiliar with PBR rendering. Please keep in mind, I'm the lowest end user so what i can do, is basically scratch the surface:

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Amazing Rick ! That last shot could pass for real ! Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm hoping Gordon will be tempted. He he. Actually, if there's P3D users here we need to all hit up the future features thread at LM forums and ask for PBR to be on their short list.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Unhappy

Rick-

As a pre-purchaser of the F-18, I would be very happy to see you, Gordo, Jan et al dive into DCS. When the 2.5 Beta finishes it should be a grand platform. Already, flight feel is so much better in DCS.

As far as PBR, yes, I will add my clamor to the lot asking LM for that soon!

Best- C

Gordo- Ready to purchase some secenry and fund HW upgrades.... hang in there mate! I sim on PCs but moved ALL work to Mac about 6 years ago... haven’t looked back... FWIW....

Even me if I tell you that I think that keeping an exclusive offline machine that never installs updates or trying to defer updates in the first place is a dumb idea?

You'll be running back and forth between computers all day if you need to transfer files. And who on earth has time for that?

P.S:
    You have some leeway for determining when Win 10 installs updates if you have the "Professional" edition, but on "Home", you better take a break of a few minutes to update. Gets rid of the nagging notification to boot.

P.P.S:
    Shouldn't Photoshop by now have an auto-backup feature akin to 3ds Max?
    I'd expect such a feature from a few hundred bucks worth of software.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Even me if I tell you that I think that keeping an exclusive offline machine that never installs updates or trying to defer updates in the first place is a dumb idea?

You'll be running back and forth between computers all day if you need to transfer files. And who on earth has time for that?

P.S:
    You have some leeway for determining when Win 10 installs updates if you have the "Professional" edition, but on "Home", you better take a break of a few minutes to update. Gets rid of the nagging notification to boot.

P.P.S:
    Shouldn't Photoshop by now have an auto-backup feature akin to 3ds Max?
    I'd expect such a feature from a few hundred bucks worth of software.
    Even you Bjoern...

I actually ran an isolated system for six months in Oregon. No internet...except the coffee shop, and file transfers via thumb. It was like a freakin' root canal.

Not running Windows Pro or Home...running another version on the suggestion of my tech guy.
    PS has an auto-backup, but only does that with certain kinds of crashes or hard boot downs. I'll check the folder, but not holding hope for the damaged file.

I set up my Windows when I did the fresh install to only do the quarterly updates. It lasted for a while but eroded with all of the hostile bots and AI out there in the world.

Interesting example.If you look at the Bitcoin fork charts, going back to 2008, you can chart the times that Bitcoin has forked, month by month. Beginning in 2012 the forks began to multiply, and around 2015 the thing began to go exponential. Now every miner out there is looking for ways to build their block chain. I read one thread on Pastebin a couple of days ago on how to build your network and bots to entice more potential miners. In the thread were instructions on how to build a bot that can invade private bank accounts without being traced.

With a gozillion wanna be BC millionaires out there, building hacks like that, I'm not surprised when my system goes of on an occasional bender.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    ...I'm hoping Gordon will be tempted.
    Sometimes I feel like the mad alchemist looking to spin lead into gold. Yeah...I'm on board.

And...BTW...HOLY FREAKIN' MOLY...That artwork is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

Little teaser from my cauldron....

Thomas Jefferson

Is that the AH C-46???? Yowza....maybe I'll buy it afterall....just for this one Gordon!! See fellas (and ladies) this is why gman is the master. Stuff like this. Out of no where. BAM!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Is that the AH C-46???? Yowza....maybe I'll buy it afterall....just for this one Gordon!! See fellas (and ladies) this is why gman is the master. Stuff like this. Out of no where. BAM!
    Yeah...that's the AH Commando. It doesn't come like that out of the box...I massaged it a little. Bam!!!!
    BTW, I've worked out some tricks that make the metals work real good in P3Dv4 Dynamic Reflections.

As far as the "master" goes...I just fix stuff and bend a few polys, but thanks man.
    Thomas Jefferson

I actually ran an isolated system for six months in Oregon. No internet...except the coffee shop, and file transfers via thumb. It was like a freakin' root canal.
    See?
    That's why I'd rather work with Windows instead of against it.

Not running Windows Pro or Home...running another version on the suggestion of my tech guy.
    Enterprise or Education. Or Server.

PS has an auto-backup, but only does that with certain kinds of crashes or hard boot downs. I'll check the folder, but not holding hope for the damaged file.
    I was thinking more about time-based backups.

I set up my Windows when I did the fresh install to only do the quarterly updates. It lasted for a while but eroded with all of the hostile bots and AI out there in the world.
    If you constantly defer the small updates, they will pile up before the big ones. Some become cumulative, but you'll still have to install a few of them before you can install the big one.

Interesting example.If you look at the Bitcoin fork charts, going back to 2008, you can chart the times that Bitcoin has forked, month by month. Beginning in 2012 the forks began to multiply, and around 2015 the thing began to go exponential. Now every miner out there is looking for ways to build their block chain. I read one thread on Pastebin a couple of days ago on how to build your network and bots to entice more potential miners. In the thread were instructions on how to build a bot that can invade private bank accounts without being traced.
    Pastebin is not a bulletin board.
    My social cirle has been laughing about the miners for years. But now that everybody and their grandmother wants a slice of the pie, they senselessly drive up hardware prices. And I hate it.

What would a bot do with your bank account? Convert your money into bitcoins to be lost in the next crash?

With a gozillion wanna be BC millionaires out there, building hacks like that, I'm not surprised when my system goes of on an occasional bender.

PCs only become a breeding ground for bots if the security is lacking. And guess what operating system updates do...

I can’t help but wonder which poor stiffs get left holding the dummy when the bitcoin music stops. It’s got Ponzi written all over it.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    "Access to Coinbase services may become degraded or unavailable during times of significant volatility or volume,"

Errrr...isn't that precisely the time when most investors think about making a run for the phone???
    Never checked...is it possible to put a stop loss on crypto?

Pretty much covers it for me Tom.
    Thomas Jefferson

Hey @********, I was checking to see if there had been any updates on the B-26K and I ran across this thread linked.

SO sorry you had this issue.

Curious as to how things are going now. I strongly suspect you encountered either a hardware problem or a driver issue with your hard drive controller, rather than a Win 10 update issue, particularly given the issues occurring after a reinstall. Hoping things are running more reliably for you now.

"Access to Coinbase services may become degraded or unavailable during times of significant volatility or volume,"

Errrr...isn't that precisely the time when most investors think about making a run for the phone???
    Never checked...is it possible to put a stop loss on crypto?

Pretty much covers it for me Tom.
    I've never used Photoshop but I did a quick Google around and I did discover several threads about users having the same issue that you were originally having when you started this post. I can't vouch for this, but they all linked to the following resource which allowed access to "lost" layer files;

http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/PSDRecover

Hope this helps, as your paints looked awesome!
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Members who have read this thread: 0