Best p-51 payware or freeware

Thread: Best p-51 payware or freeware

Best p-51 payware or freeware

Im looking for the best/most complete package of the p-51. Im looking at the payware warbirdsim, but also lookjng at a2a and cwdt but cant make up my mind. Would love feedback from fellow simmers

For Payware: WoP - Wings of Power/WWI Fighters P-51D, also Wop P-51D/H.
    For Freeware: Warwick Carter's (Wozza) P-51D.

Lots of very good repaints by talented artists for both.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

A2A are by far the most realistic.

Cheers Chris

For a top freeware P-51D Mustang, Warwick Carter's P-51D for FS9.
    Mark

I haven't tried the WoP P-51 but I do have WarbirdSim's P-51B/C and the Mustang Tales release with a bunch of Ds and the what-if FJ-1D if the navalized Mustang had entered production. (A modified Mustang had done landings and takeoffs from the Shangri La.)Also the Cripes a Mighty Then and Now. The WWII version is equipped as it was back in the war and the restored version in equipped as it is today and finished to a high polish. They are all a handful at takeoff and landing, but great in the air. All of them both look and sound great, but you have full control over a few more items (like the oil coolers and radiators) in the D. I would suggest one of the first two if you want the early or late (or both) as the Then and Now is really just a pair of repaints of the D. (But it looked so good I had to get it!) I do want to try Aircraft Factory's P-51H yet. Hoping a P-82 comes out sometime!

For the 'Bubbletops' I think A2A are the nicest, Warwick's also and free too. Other option's include the old Alpha Sim/Virtavia offering, now freeware and the rather nice Classic Warbird Design Team version (still payware*).

As for the 'birdcage' and 'Malcolm' Hoods', Warbirdsim hands-down (they never did Bubbletops for FS9, only FSX). For a nice variation including the earlier versions, Sky unlimited* has a diverse package that I really like. For Free, the old donationware FDG2 models are now free.

Jamie

*Both on SimMarket

I fully agree with Jamie. There are many repaints available for the A2A P51D, and only a few for the equally nice freeware P51D by Warwick Carter. There is also a lesser know P51D for CFS2 done by Pascal Auterive and Bruno Duffort, which works in FS2204 as well. The model really shows its age, but if interested you can find it here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/BDPLanes.htm

The Warbirdsim P51 B/C is definitely the best one around. The Skyunlimited P51 B/C package is quite nice because it contains many unusual versions, like the early A-36 Apaches. However it does not match the quality of the Warbirdsim model. The freeware donationware P51 B/C, comes both in a birdcase version as a version with the Malcolm hood. It has the best price and there are still loads of repaints available for them.

At flightsim.com you will most likely be able to find some additional free models by A.F. Scrub. I have never tested them so I can't comment the quality.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    I haven't tried the WoP P-51 but I do have WarbirdSim's P-51B/C and the Mustang Tales release with a bunch of Ds and the what-if FJ-1D if the navalized Mustang had entered production. (A modified Mustang had done landings and takeoffs from the Shangri La.)Also the Cripes a Mighty Then and Now. The WWII version is equipped as it was back in the war and the restored version in equipped as it is today and finished to a high polish. They are all a handful at takeoff and landing, but great in the air. All of them both look and sound great, but you have full control over a few more items (like the oil coolers and radiators) in the D. I would suggest one of the first two if you want the early or late (or both) as the Then and Now is really just a pair of repaints of the D. (But it looked so good I had to get it!) I do want to try Aircraft Factory's P-51H yet. Hoping a P-82 comes out sometime!
    I can only find an FSX version of Mustang Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    I can only find an FSX version of Mustang Tales
    I have Mustang Tales working in both P3Dv3 and P3Dv4. I installed into temp folder and then copied the folders into my P3D installs.

As the question was raised in the FS2002/FS2004 forum I assume the original question was about P51s in FS2004.

There is no FS2004 version of the Warbirdsim P51 D/K model or Mustang tales package. The P51 B/C and Mustang Mk.III packages can be found here: http://www.warbirdsim.com/Store.do?s...ory&category=3

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    I fully agree with Jamie. There are many repaints available for the A2A P51D, and only a few for the equally nice freeware P51D by Warwick Carter. There is also a lesser know P51D for CFS2 done by Pascal Auterive and Bruno Duffort, which works in FS2204 as well. The model really shows its age, but if interested you can find it here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/BDPLanes.htm

The Warbirdsim P51 B/C is definitely the best one around. The Skyunlimited P51 B/C package is quite nice because it contains many unusual versions, like the early A-36 Apaches. However it does not match the quality of the Warbirdsim model. The freeware donationware P51 B/C, comes both in a birdcase version as a version with the Malcolm hood. It has the best price and there are still loads of repaints available for them.

At flightsim.com you will most likely be able to find some additional free models by A.F. Scrub. I have never tested them so I can't comment the quality.

Cheers,
    Huub
    OOH! Didn't know about an A-36 even being offered! Gotta check that out tonight!

As the question was raised in the FS2002/FS2004 forum I assume the original question was about P51s in FS2004.

There is no FS2004 version of the Warbirdsim P51 D/K model or Mustang tales package. The P51 B/C and Mustang Mk.III packages can be found here: http://www.warbirdsim.com/Store.do?s...ory&category=3

Cheers,
    Huub
    Yeah, I gotta start looking at the headers to see what forum the topic is for. I picked this one up off of the sidebar.

I fully agree with Jamie. There are many repaints available for the A2A P51D, and only a few for the equally nice freeware P51D by Warwick Carter.
    Cheers,
    Huub
    ah, but quality over quantity... yago9 / Lucien Lie did several repaint packages for Warwick's P51, as did JanKees, in the library here last time I looked.

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    ah, but quality over quantity... yago9 / Lucien Lie did several repaint packages for Warwick's P51, as did JanKees, in the library here last time I looked.

Ttfn

Pete
    When my memory is correct, the textures in the package were done by John "Bomber_12th" Terrell. This must already be enough reason to download the package
    I think John also did some additional textures for it.

The main textures from the A2A consist of four 1024 x 1024 textures, while the Warwick Carter version has only two 1024 x 1024 textures to put in all the details. That's why I think the textures on the A2A model look more crisp. But the model by Warwick still looks and flies great, that is why it currently is the only P-51D I have installed.

I had not realised but there are indeed quite a lot of repaint available for Warwick's model. Garry J. Smith had several of them on his web-site. But you can find quite a few here in the library as well (Just do a query on "Carter" in the text field).

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post

Ttfn

Pete
    Totally agree!

The main textures from the A2A consist of four 1024 x 1024 textures, while the Warwick Carter version has only two 1024 x 1024 textures to put in all the details. That's why I think the textures on the A2A model look more crisp. But the model by Warwick still looks and flies great, that is why it currently is the only P-51D I have installed.

Cheers,
    Huub
    There are two different P-51D version by A2A(Shockwave). First with two 1024 x 1024 textures from Wings of Power series and next one from WW2 Fighters with five 1024 x 1024 textures. It was made to improve quality with FS9 resolution limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Krzych61 View Post
    There are two different P-51D version by A2A(Shockwave). First with two 1024 x 1024 textures from Wings of Power series and next one from WW2 Fighters with five 1024 x 1024 textures. It was made to improve quality with FS9 resolution limits.
    Hi Krzysztof,

Really good to see you are still around. It is nice to see that a flightsim model legend like you still visits this place.

You are correct the A2A P51 has indeed 5 textures, and I was wrong! I missed the texture with the stabilo and propellor blades. I had the WWII fighters CD version which originally had the 2 textures. But when my memory is correct, with the (free) the 1.2 update the 2 texture model was replaced by the 5 texture model.\\

When you look for textures for Warwick Carter's P51D, you might run into the one below (shameless plug )

Cheers,
    Huub

Warwick 'Wozza' Carter's freeware P-51 ; Jan Visser paints... up from Bodney

ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 7