USS Lex is found.

Thread: USS Lex is found.

USS Lex is found.

How about this! The Lexington has been found in the Coral Sea.

http://www.businessinsider.com/micro...xington-2018-3

SOH-CM-2023
    Wow, impressive!

Hi all,

Is this O'Hare's Wildcat?

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1520297650317.jpg  
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

Icon22 Reply...

Hey guys,

Very cool...I saw this and showed it to my students today! Thanks for sharing!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Not O'Hare

Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    Hi all,

Is this O'Hare's Wildcat?

Bob
    Based on the text in the book THATCH WEAVE the life of Jimmie Thatch by Steve Ewing, under a B&W photo on page 84 of Thatch and O'Hare flying side by side....."Thatch in F4F-3 Wildcat F-1 looks toward the camera, with Butch O'Hare in F-13 on his wing off Pearl Harbor on 11 April 1942."

So it would seem this aircraft belonged to neither O'Hare or Thatch.

A great find, thank you for sharing.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Other pic's, just looked it up, show him in F-15 and F-3 also. Looks like they jumped around a bit. The Wildcat at O'Hare Airport in Chicago is F-15. Would be nice to know who "owned" the F-5, besides the crew chief. Looks like he had Four? kills.
    Bob
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

Lex (cv-2)

LEX (CV-2) and her sister, USS SARATOGA (CV-3) were sister ships, originally laid down as Cruisers but finished as our first Aircraft Carriers as the result on the Washington Conference on Arms Limitations after WWI.

Yes - USS LANGLEY was CV-1, but was never carried on the Naval Register as a combatant - she had no combat capability such as magazines, armament, speed, etc.

Both CV-2 and CV-3 were unique in being powered by steam generated electricity to power turbo-electric drive. However, it was so complex, heavy and expensive that later Carriers used traditional closed loop steam, reduction geared turbine propulsion.

The later ESSEX Class USS LEXINGTON was CV-16 originally, eventually became AVT-16 as a training Carrier stationed in the Gulf of Mexico at Pensacola for the Naval Air Training Command.

Hi All,
    Another article today. The F-5 has been identified. Flown by Lt. Noel A. M. Gayler, 4 kills, 1 successful bomb run. Of the 35 aircraft that went down with the ship, they have found 11 so far. Interesting sidebar, in the comments section, on a photo of two TBD-1 Devastator's, one resting on top of the other, a person has identified the T-4 as being flown by their Grandfather. Hope they find Thatch's and O'Hare's.
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lex F4F-3.jpg  

Sorry about that.

Won't find Thatch's Bub. My mistake. He wasn't at Coral Sea, but at Midway.

Worthless,
    It would still be great to locate and identify the aircraft. Help to fill in the blanks.

Wonderful state of preservation. At that depth there can't be much oxygen. The locals seem to be paintwork averse. It would be interesting to know how far from the Lexington the aircraft were located.

Pics look so good you think you could just reach out and touch them but they are Angels 9+ deep!
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Members who have read this thread: 0