screen resolution

Thread: screen resolution

screen resolution

Hallo friends,

still working on the OV-10D panels, I began to work also on some panel variations for the PBY Catalina,
    For the catalina I started with a bmp from Gaucho_59.
    It is in 1024x768 resolution.
    Most the time I do my panels 1440X900 resolution
    I do this as it seems to be the best for my monitor who has this as base resolution.
    When I use panels in 1024x768 resolution they are a little distored as a they apear to be a little betoo large and the gauges are likelying ovals.
    Now my question to you friends:
    what will be best for you?
    What resolutions do you use?
    yours
    Papi

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    Hallo friends,

still working on the OV-10D panels, I began to work also on some panel variations for the PBY Catalina,
    For the catalina I started with a bmp from Gaucho_59.
    It is in 1024x768 resolution.
    Most the time I do my panels 1440X900 resolution
    I do this as it seems to be the best for my monitor who has this as base resolution.
    When I use panels in 1024x768 resolution they are a little distored as a they apear to be a little betoo large and the gauges are likelying ovals.
    Now my question to you friends:
    what will be best for you?
    What resolutions do you use?
    yours
    Papi
    1366 X 768.

and yes.. 2D panels suck... are distorted.. so I "squish" any of these laterally to get the gauges round.. and leave a black area on one side.. . it's good for popups.

But since most of the time.. as in 99% of it.. I fly with only a VC.. and have my regular panel view set to just open sky... it's really never an issue!

Here is my 2D Alphasim F-111 panel. with three 'popups' down the blank right side. due to some blurring issues with the VC.. . when flying IFR in this airplane, I use the 2D panel. It's a compromise with this airplane, but it works.

I assume you are talking about 2D... but as for 3d.. I don't seem to have any issues... once I get my ZOOM and eyepoint set..

As with my Avro 621.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-111 2d panel.jpg   Avro 621 panel.jpg  

I use panels in the ratio of 6x8. I don't care what the dimensions are in pixels, as long as the ratio is 6x8. That's the old "square" monitor aspect ration that FS9 was designed for, and that the vast majority of panels use. Exceptions are generally called "wide-angle" and those not specified as wide angle are generally 6x8.

I suppose in these times there are many folks using wide angle monitors, but I know that many of us still use the old 6x8 because that's what our favorite flight sim was designed for.

I don't believe it makes any difference for the VC panel; I've never heard of read that monitor aspect ratio affects the VC, but it matters quite a lot for the 2D panel.

Who needs 2D-panels anyway?

They became obsolete with the introduction of FS2004 anyways, which was in the end of 2003. I use them only them to click a lights switch or something which is hard to reach VC-mode.

My screen resolution btw. is 1920 x 1080 pix. The 2D-panels look horrible on any plane.

Members +
    Guys, PLEASE lets not get into a 2D vs 3D debate..
    This has been going on for nearly 15 years now.
    Strange as it may seem, there are many who actually prefer 2D cockpits, & we do appreciate developers that realise this,
    Just because some of us prefer 2D, (yes, we also like 3D), for flying, it most certainly does not make us lessor simmers!

To answer the original question: my screen resolution is 1440 x 900.

Cheers,
    Huub

2D panel resolution

Thank you friends,

allright, so I will continue to make them in 1440X900.
    I must say that makes me things easier.
    Thank you for your answers
    Yours
    Papi

Whatever aspect ratio you used for the Avros works well for me.

I have a simple solution for "wide-angle" panels - I delete them.

Members who have read this thread: 0