New FSX/P3D Scenery Advanced Landig Ground A-11 uploaded
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: New FSX/P3D Scenery Advanced Landig Ground A-11 uploaded

  1. #1

    New FSX/P3D Scenery Advanced Landig Ground A-11 uploaded

    This freeware scenery package attempts to represent Advanced Landing Ground A-11 of the US 9th AAF. ALG A-11 (Saint-Lambert, Normandy France) was one of 29 Advanced Landing Grounds that dotted the Cotentin Peninsula. The airfield consisted of a single 5000' (1500 m) Square-Mesh Track/Compressed Earth runway aligned 05/23. In addition, tents were used for billeting and also for support facilities; an access road was built to the existing road infrastructure; a dump for supplies, ammunition, and gasoline drums, along with a drinkable water and minimal electrical grid for communications and station lighting. Construction was started on July 27th, 1944. The initial operational date was August 6th, 1944 The airfield was used only for a short time and was vacated by September 5th, 1944. The P-38ís of the 474th Fighter Group flew close air support missions from this airfield.


    Advanced_Landing_ground_A-11.zip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advanced_Landing_ground_A-11.jpg  

  2. #2

    Advanced Landing Ground A-11


    A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FSX Scenery

    Description: FSX/P3D Scenery--Advanced Landing Ground A-11. This freeware scenery package attempts to represent Advanced Landing Ground A-11 of the US 9th AAF. ALG A-11 was one of 29 Advanced Landing Grounds that dotted the Cotentin Peninsula. The airfield was located near Saint Lambert Normandy. The airfield consisted of a single 5000' (1500 m) Square-Mesh Track/Compressed Earth runway aligned 05/23. In addition, tents were used for billeting and also for support facilities; an access road was built to the existing road infrastructure; a dump for supplies, ammunition, and gasoline drums, along with a drinkable water and minimal electrical grid for communications and station lighting. Construction was started on July 27th, 1944. The initial operational date was August 6th, 1944. The P-38ís of the 474th Fighter Group flew close air support support missions during the Allied invasion of Normandy from this airfield. The airfield was vacated by September 5th, 1944 as the Allies pushed quickly into France. Be sure to check the pdf for additional historical information. Taxiing or driving up to the red crash truck will trigger an additional audio feature. This scenery was tested in FSXA/P3D3/P3D4. It works best with ORBX Open Land Class EU.


    Advanced_Landing_ground_A-11.zip


    To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Advanced Landing Ground A-11
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

  3. #3
    This is a very interesting project. Although I won't have time to run the scenery works this week, I've downloaded them and am hoping to stealth the time to run them next weekend.

    I remember that the FS Scenery group, FRANCE VFR had issued a recreation of the Normandy region as it was during the Second World War.

    I checked their (payware) website and could not find it. A quick consult with the Great Oracle of Google, and the product showed up at FSAddon.

    https://fsaddonshop.com/products/normandy-1944-for-fsx

    I don't have this, but I imagine that it's based on maps showing the lower population density & development in the urban, greater agricultural and forested areas, versus what their modern maps would display.

    I wonder if anybody has purchased the product and could vouch for this?

    If it truly displays a reasonable map of 1940's Normandy, it'd be a lovely backdrop for these interesting "Advanced Landing Grounds" the are being developed here.

    (.....I'm just sayinnnnn...... )

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    This is a very interesting project. Although I won't have time to run the scenery works this week, I've downloaded them and am hoping to stealth the time to run them next weekend.

    I remember that the FS Scenery group, FRANCE VFR had issued a recreation of the Normandy region as it was during the Second World War.

    I checked their (payware) website and could not find it. A quick consult with the Great Oracle of Google, and the product showed up at FSAddon.

    https://fsaddonshop.com/products/normandy-1944-for-fsx

    I don't have this, but I imagine that it's based on maps showing the lower population density & development in the urban, greater agricultural and forested areas, versus what their modern maps would display.

    I wonder if anybody has purchased the product and could vouch for this?

    If it truly displays a reasonable map of 1940's Normandy, it'd be a lovely backdrop for these interesting "Advanced Landing Grounds" the are being developed here.

    (.....I'm just sayinnnnn...... )

    Magoo,
    I checked out the link. The product is all black and white photo real . I'm not big on foto real, especially at 500 ft in my L-5. They show only winter screen shots. If you have ORBX Vector, EU Land Class and Global, the area looks quite impressive. I've tailored the layout to be optimal for the ORBX scenery and tucks in nicely to the country side.

  5. #5
    Hi Pletheron,

    Yeah....it does seem to be based on black & white photo maps. Very limited description. Nice planes to go with it though.

    Thanks for clarifying your optimization with ORBX. Smart choice on your part. Lot's of flyers have that, and it's a well known/ much loved enhancement.

    I'm keen to try out your airfields.

    Sadly...I'm off to work....umm...now!

    Cheers!

  6. #6
    Thank You for this! I will check it out today.

  7. #7
    Enjoying the scenery pletheron. I have 2 questions though.

    1) Do you need the static AND sode libraries from Ian's website? Or just one? (I have installed both).

    2) The sound effects are terrific. I can hear the Spitfire and armor caravan but cannot see them. Can you clarify what I should see?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfee1 View Post
    Enjoying the scenery pletheron. I have 2 questions though.

    1) Do you need the static AND sode libraries from Ian's website? Or just one? (I have installed both).

    2) The sound effects are terrific. I can hear the Spitfire and armor caravan but cannot see them. Can you clarify what I should see?
    Thanks for your words of encouragement.

    1. No SODE objects are needed, the only Ian P. object in the scenery is the red Caravan in static lib "ijprafvehicles.bgl ".

    2. There are unfortunately no visuals to accompany the audio. I have net (yet) figured out how it can be done. Perhaps with P3D4 it might be accomplished.

    Terry

  9. #9
    Thank you very much pletheron, this is much appreciated and I'm looking forward to installing this.

  10. #10
    Thanks for clarifying. Many thanks for a great scenery.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfee1 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. Many thanks for a great scenery.
    Thanks Lonewolfee1. Have you tried the first ALG I posted (A-1, at St Pierre du Mont)?

    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=113&linkid=23405


  12. #12
    Didn't quite escape.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Middle, UK
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,344
    Terry,

    There are a number of ways that you can make things happen around an airfield - SODE is one, but not the only one. What do you need it to do?

    I haven't checked this out yet - been a bit busy with other projects, but I will do. I can knock a SODE file for the runway caravans up for you as well, if you like?

    Cheers,

    Ian P.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    Terry,

    There are a number of ways that you can make things happen around an airfield - SODE is one, but not the only one. What do you need it to do?

    I haven't checked this out yet - been a bit busy with other projects, but I will do. I can knock a SODE file for the runway caravans up for you as well, if you like?

    Cheers,

    Ian P.
    Ian,

    Thank you kindly for the offer of generating the SODE xml for the caravans! I shall take you up on it for this next Advanced Landing Ground which is in the final stages. The next one is A-7 at Azeville, on the grounds of Ferme du Chateau de Fontenay sur mer at 49.479244, -1.319818 . Iíll email you with a link to the package when I get home tonight. Perhaps we can collaborate on some ideas. Along with capturing historical detail, the main thread all of these ALG sceneries has is to create some semblance of the feel of being there during 1944. Each of these sceneries includes extensive audio of war birds starting up, taxiing and flying over. Iíve incorporated some great sound files of these aircraft Iíve collected from many sources in the public domain. I know it is possible to have AI traffic, however it seems a daunting task to synchronize something like a Spitfire flying over to the real sound file for it. Iím also including some interesting audio/visual effects in this next one. Youíll discover them straight away on spawning into the airfield.

  14. #14
    Didn't quite escape.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Middle, UK
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,344
    Not a direct answer, because it won't combine with the sounds (unless you add the sounds to them...) but FSX@War's CCP will allow you to create convoys of vehicles moving around, spawn and control AI much better than FSX's default engine and many other shiny toys. That does require the end user to have CCP installed, though.

    I've downloaded A.1 and A.11. Will try and install them later. I think Little Walden is pretty much done now, except for mesh blend files (which will be a swine to do...)

    Cheers,

    Ian P.

  15. #15
    Thanks Terry. Have them both installed. Looking forward to future releases. Thanks a bunch!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfee1 View Post
    Thanks Terry. Have them both installed. Looking forward to future releases. Thanks a bunch!
    Thanks Wolfee,

    Next release will be ALG-7, Azeville/Fontanay. It will have LOTS of ambiance. Although, it did not have co-based artillery, the German batteries of Azeville and Crisbecq where very close (and destroyed :-) ). I thought it would be good to add a battery of Allied 105mm with effects for some heavy ordnance ambiance.

    I guess flying straight at 5 x 105 mike mikes is not a good idea.

    Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-3-2_17-54-1-169.jpg  

  17. #17
    That'll be great! Looking forward to it.

  18. #18
    Didn't quite escape.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the Middle, UK
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,344
    I've created SODE files for A-1 and A-11, which are now with Terry for him to comment on and OK or not. They just give runway caravans and a direction "T" but they're a start...

    Cheers,

    Ian P.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    I've created SODE files for A-1 and A-11, which are now with Terry for him to comment on and OK or not. They just give runway caravans and a direction "T" but they're a start...

    Cheers,

    Ian P.
    Thank you Ian,

    I'll get some time tomorrow to try them out!

    Terry

  20. #20
    AGL A-7, Azeville was uploaded tonight. It includes many audio and effects .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ALG_A7_4.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •