The Muderous Marauder And Silver Wings And Santiago Blue

Thread: The Muderous Marauder And Silver Wings And Santiago Blue

The Muderous Marauder And Silver Wings And Santiago Blue

Sometime in 1941-1942 the B-26 was going through a period of troubles, the aircrews
    began to call it names, yes there were accidents like any new design this does and
    will occur. One day a lone Martin B-26A appeared over the field. As it approached
    it shut down its port engine and circled on one engine then started the engine and
    snapped its wheels and flaps down. The pilots and aircrews who watched this demonstration
    of airmen ship ran to the plane as it taxied up to the flightline, their jaws dropped when
    the hatch opened and five women pilots dropped through the hatch to the ground, they
    were members of the WASP, Women Army Service Pilots. The pilots and aircrew looked
    on with red faces. I don't remmenber where I read this but it stayed in my memory to
    this day.

Thanks

Casey

Great story. I've heard it before and I like it.

I wouldn't be surprised if those gals had better training than some of the early military pilots.

The early Marauders had more than their share of accidents, partly because the trainee pilots just weren't ready for such a high performance plane, and partly because the early Marauder didn't have enough wing area for its power and weight. When the Truman committee asked Glen Martin why there were so many B-26 crashes he said it was because the wings were too small. When they asked him why he didn't make them bigger he said he had a contract from the Army to build them the way they were.

True, but the Army contracted for them that way because that was how Martin designed them and submitted them for Army acceptance.

Whoever it was that made the decision to produce the initial design as-is, it wasn't long before later Marauders got a bigger wing.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    There is a story about Doolittle doing the same thing with the B-26. His angle was to go to a base, select one of the aircraft at random from a dispersal, and take it up and wring it out; part of the routine included stopping and restarting both engines at different times, also a deadstick landing was demonstrated.

He did the same thing with P-38s as well.

This video explains the issues properly and how they evolved. There is more to the story than you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJ-XQ0J81E
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    There is a story about Doolittle doing the same thing with the B-26. His angle was to go to a base, select one of the aircraft at random from a dispersal, and take it up and wring it out; part of the routine included stopping and restarting both engines at different times, also a deadstick landing was demonstrated.

He did the same thing with P-38s as well.
    Tony LeVier dd a traveling road show like that with the P-38 when pilots started getting shy about the Lightning's single engine performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    This video explains the issues properly and how they evolved. There is more to the story than you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VJ-XQ0J81E
    Thanks for the link Milton. I had heard the story before, but it remains interesting. When people think I am exaggerating with my weathering, look closely to the cowling at 4:27. When you check out the map of the mission described after 12:29 you can find out where I live. I live in the village called Noordwijk.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0