Lockheed Harpoon, Ventura, and Lodestar - Native
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lockheed Harpoon, Ventura, and Lodestar - Native

Lockheed Harpoon, Ventura, and Lodestar - Native

I have started the Lockheed Harpoon FSX native conversion and have the textures converted to use FSX materials.

Unfortunately, to get the textures to show as well as they did on FS9, I have to really skew the material settings.

If I change the materials that way, it will limit the capabilities for the kind of work done on the A-20 and B-26.

If I change the material settings to take full advantage of FSX capabilities, that would invalidate all textures created for the FS9 models.
    The existing Nigel paint kit however would work fine, I think.

So, now to my question.

Is there enough interest by you to give the Harpoon the same kind of treatment the A-20 and B-26 got?

Be honest about your interest. If "No", that's fine with me and I will not take that FSX material course of action.

I do not want to go there if the interest is not peaking on the scale.

This same question can answer for the Ventura and Lodestars.

Thanks for your guidance in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-feb-16-011.jpg   ms-2018-feb-16-012.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I have started the Lockheed Harpoon FSX native conversion and have the textures converted to use FSX materials.

Unfortunately, to get the textures to show as well as they did on FS9, I have to really skew the material settings.

If I change the materials that way, it will limit the capabilities for the kind of work done on the A-20 and B-26.

If I change the material settings to take full advantage of FSX capabilities, that would invalidate all textures created for the FS9 models.
    The existing Nigel paint kit however would work fine, I think.

So, now to my question.

Is there enough interest by you to give the Harpoon the same kind of treatment the A-20 and B-26 got?

Be honest about your interest. If "No", that's fine with me and I will not take that FSX material course of action.

I do not want to go there if the interest is not peaking on the scale.

This same question can answer for the Ventura and Lodestars.

Thanks for your guidance in advance.

Hello Milton,
    I'm interested, I will take my textures to stick with the new models Harpoon, Ventura and Lodestars.
    Regards
    Marty

I'm interested, if only because a native FSX aircraft will usually fly in P3D V4 without any problems (unless they are using 32bit C++ gauges of course).
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Milton, I'm interested in doing some repaints. However, I doubt it would be at the same level (read that quantity) I did (am doing) the B-26, mainly due to lack of resources limiting the subject pool. I'm speaking of military subjects only, specifically USN.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

South of Possum Lodge in the 6ix, somewhere near YKZ
    Hi Milton:

I'd be interested in the full FSX treatment as well. I don't used P3Cv4 yet, but am most likely getting it, and the Lodestar is one of my favourite planes to fly. Also, the Ventura was used by the RAF, RCAF and BCATP, so I will want to do some repaints for my own use (unless Duckie does them first).

Thanks.

JD

I am interested as well Milton... :-)

I'd certainly appreciate a full make over Milton, as I'm finding a lot of the native FSX projects work in P3D4.
    However, only if you can get enough support and not overload your schedule would I say a big 'Yes'.
    I've always been fond of the 'Art Deco' civil versions.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Thanks for the responses so far.

It's not quantity I am looking for. If I change the materials for full FSX support, I would have no liveries to test the changes or to release with the package (s).

If there is interest to use the new materials setup (like the Marauder and Havoc) for FSX, then I can proceed with the conversions.

I will release a Painter's package when ready to help start the process and it can evolve from there as you have time and motivation to do so.

I am not looking for commitments here, just genuine interest. Since the conversions of these models are quite involved, I wish to assess interest before 100's of hours of investment.

The Harpoon has three models, the Ventura two models, and the Lodestar has 4 models - that's why the hours required is large.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton, I am interested also. Thanks

The original port-over of these models can always provide instant FSX gratification for the older paints from FS9.

To me it would be logical to key-in the advanced texture features to setup the Harpoon, Lodestar & Ventura for potential use over the next five-ten years.

These are significant reproductions of a significant aircraft lineage, provided by a significant flightsim development team. They are popular. I'm certain some of us would be willing to pony up some new paints to get the project rolling.

Would the effort not be a good investment in future creative usability?

Blog Entries
    I would very much like to see it Milton.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I can't say for certain if I will do paints for them if you convert them, mainly due to a lack of time, but on the other hand I can say that I will not do paints if you do not convert them...if that makes any sense?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Thank you for the frank responses. It seems there is enough interest to proceed, and therefore I shall. :-)

Harpoon models first and these should take me a week or so to get a package out to you.

Jankees, of course that makes sense. My kind of logic :-)

Magoo, good points there Sir; thank you.

Wellis, greatly appreciate your interest as well with all the beautiful liveries you have done for the Lodestars.

Okay, time to get busy ...
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Making good progress on the first model. With proper FSX material settings and bump and spec place holders in place, we actually have a decent looking FS9 texture. I am pleasantly surprised.

I have all the interior and exterior materials converted now, animations, mouse tags, etc. done and working. Still lots to do of course, and the add-ons for pilot figures, bombs, rockets, guns, glass configurations, etc. to do. I think I can have this model and its variants done by the weekend.

Just going to post a screen shot here but will close this thread and start a proper FSX Native Harpoon thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-feb-21-003.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Helloooo Milton,

If it helps, in addition to the paintkit, I should still have all the Photoshop layered Master Folders for all or most paint versions and models. Everything is textured at 2048 x 2048, so this will obviously have a positive influence in definition quality. :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    Helloooo Milton,

If it helps, in addition to the paintkit, I should still have all the Photoshop layered Master Folders for all or most paint versions and models. Everything is textured at 2048 x 2048, so this will obviously have a positive influence in definition quality. :-)
    That would be very helpful, I'm sure Nigel.

What say the texture artists here?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Helloooo Milton,

That would be very helpful, I'm sure Nigel.

I, for one, would absolutely love to be able to take advantage of such textures, Nigel, Milton, if not directly then certainly as reference.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

That's great Steve. There's lots of details all around, and there is bare metal versus painted, and a "D" model along with the "C" model shown here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-feb-21-001.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Blog Entries
    Helloooo Milton,

Photoshop masters would be very useful and very much appreciated sir.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Helloooo Milton,

What ******** says.

Yes....(!!!)

Harpoon Paint Kit by Nigel

The Harpoon C and D model paint kit is here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nd-D-Paint-Kit
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Got all the identified minor issues resolved now on the "C" model.

Now to get the various add-on components converted.

Should have a Painter's package out Thursday for the "C" model if all goes well.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Harpoon C and D model paint kit is here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nd-D-Paint-Kit
    Have just gone through the paintkit files and realised that all main texture versions/colour variants are already present within the paintkit at 2048 x 2048,
    hence the rather large size of the download :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Have just gone through the paintkit files and realised that all main texture versions/colour variants are already present within the paintkit at 2048 x 2048,
    hence the rather large size of the download :-)
    Thank you Nigel
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 3