Lockheed Harpoon, Ventura, and Lodestar - Native - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lockheed Harpoon, Ventura, and Lodestar - Native

I loaded it up into P3D4.2

I noticed that the title= properties are a little incomplete, it would be nice if you added to the front of each title 'Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon" to the front of each so they can be identified easier in the P3D aircraft selector.

Also several definitions are missing the line
    ui_createdby="Milton Shupe and Team"

My first flight shows very little else to complain about. A great success I must say.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Thanks Milton
    I guess I'm just a cargo door "nut" but it's a great flying machine in any case and I can certainly live without it.
    Warren

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    I loaded it up into P3D4.2

I noticed that the title= properties are a little incomplete, it would be nice if you added to the front of each title 'Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon" to the front of each so they can be identified easier in the P3D aircraft selector.

Also several definitions are missing the line
    ui_createdby="Milton Shupe and Team"

My first flight shows very little else to complain about. A great success I must say.
    Thanks for the comments Joe.

Are you saying that P3D does not show the following statements when selecting from the menu and that it needs to be repeated in every "title=" line as well?

ui_manufacturer = Lockheed
    ui_type = PV-2
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Morning Milton
    In my P3D V4.2 installation the PV2 shows up spread all over the aircraft list - m87 Gruppo at the top,Attu Warrior further down and then several PV2s together. I can find the "variants" okay but they are not showing in the traditional way - all together.
    Hope this helps.
    Warren

Quote Originally Posted by aspen31 View Post
    Morning Milton
    In my P3D V4.2 installation the PV2 shows up spread all over the aircraft list - m87 Gruppo at the top,Attu Warrior further down and then several PV2s together. I can find the "variants" okay but they are not showing in the traditional way - all together.
    Hope this helps.
    Warren
    Warren, thanks for the explanation. See the attachment showing Lockheed selections PV-1 and PV-2. The FSX menu uses the "ui-manufacturer=" and "type=" lines first, then appends the "title=" line.

The problem I have is if I repeat that info in the "title=" line, then in FSX, the Lockheed PV-2 shows twice before the livery name, and little of that would show as there would not be much room left in the description.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-mar-5-001.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi Milton
    For me how the aircraft show on the P3D V4.2 list is not really important - just different. I've done some editing of my own just to differentiate the different textures but once I learned how they show up it's a small issue with a really nice airplane. If I come up with something that allows the PV2 to show up as a group on the list I'll advise but for now - not a big problem.
    Warren

Hi Milton,

It was always my experience that in FSX the name show was a combination of "ui-manufacturer=", "type=" and ui_variation, not title. Title in FSX is just the internal identifier for the definition that had to be unique, to be used in scenarios and saved flights. The reasons that LM decided to make the previously hidden title the public name of the AC is beyond me be but they did.

I have gotten quite used to having to going in and editing the titles on aircraft to fit with my overly exacting aesthetic, its just nice when there is already a reasonable title there.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Making progress on the PV-1 Vega Ventura wrapping up the glass nose version.
    The solid nose version will convert much more quickly.

I have received no further reports on the Harpoon and we have wrapped up a long series of changes, fixes, and updates.
    Duckie is working on a paint kit for the Harpoon that will allow full exploitation and benefit of FSX native features.
    Will likely be a few weeks before we get the Harpoon series out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pv1 vc.jpg   pv1 ext.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi Milton
    The airplane continues to work really well in P3D V4.2 - really no problems other than the ones written about earlier - all of which seem minor. With all the snow and low ceilings here in the Northeast over the last few days and a decent weather program I've discovered that the lack of an ILS is shortening my flights quite significantly. I'm getting to know fields a few mils short of the approach at several airports in the area. Will there be an ILS in the Civilian version or will I be doomed to bounce around in the bush? What is it they say - out of ideas and altitude at the same time.
    Great airplane Milton - sounds like the L18s I remember from years ago.
    Thanks
    Warren

Hi Milton
    The airplane continues to work really well in P3D V4.2 - really no problems other than the ones written about earlier - all of which seem minor. With all the snow and low ceilings here in the Northeast over the last few days and a decent weather program I've discovered that the lack of an ILS is shortening my flights quite significantly. I'm getting to know fields a few mils short of the approach at several airports in the area. Will there be an ILS in the Civilian version or will I be doomed to bounce around in the bush? What is it they say - out of ideas and altitude at the same time.
    Great airplane Milton - sounds like the L18s I remember from years ago.
    Thanks
    Warren
    Thanks Warren. Sounds like a reasonable request. I'll look into that.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

No problems so far with the Harpoon.

Great that Duckie is doing a paintkit for the Harpoon, looking forward to it so I can splash some paint on it.
    Will there be a new paintkit for the Ventura as well?

Would there be a new flight model made for the Ventura? The flight model for it was the same one from the Harpoon that you copied over, I remember.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    No problems so far with the Harpoon.

Great that Duckie is doing a paintkit for the Harpoon, looking forward to it so I can splash some paint on it.
    Will there be a new paintkit for the Ventura as well?

Would there be a new flight model made for the Ventura? The flight model for it was the same one from the Harpoon that you copied over, I remember.
    The original release Ventura Paint Kit by Firekitten is in the SOH library and will not change:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=20563&catid=7

I do not recall the specifics of the flight model but just checked and it does seem to be a copy of the Harpoon with obvious changes in weights.

I'll revisit that.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi Milton
    Will there be an ILS in the Civilian version or will I be doomed to bounce around in the bush?
    I did this as a temporary measure. I think this is what you are looking for. I decided I didn't need the Rad Alt as much as this gauge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harpoon ILS indicator.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	58828 Click on me to make it bigger! (too bad it doesn't work like that in the RW)
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

I think that would work nicely. I usually judge my altitude by the proximity of the trees rushing by. Is there a particular gauge you used?
    Take care
    Warren

I think that would work nicely. I usually judge my altitude by the proximity of the trees rushing by. Is there a particular gauge you used?
    Take care
    Warren
    Hi Warren! I just borrowed the CessnaWAlpha!VOR1_Alpha from the default C-172 and placed this in the [Window00] section of the panel.cfg to replace the Rad Alt. I used Cessna!VOR1 from the default C-172 in the [vcockpit01] section of the panel.cfg to replace the Rad Alt there. Do you need to actually see the panel.cfg sections? Now to see if a codebox will work.

Code:
    [Window00]
    file=HarpMain2.bmp 
    size_mm=1920,1080
    window_size_ratio=1.000  
    position=7
    visible=1
    ident=0
    window_size= 1.000, 1.000
    window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge00=ST_Harpoon!Altimeter_D18,  619,832,119,111
    gauge01=ST_Harpoon!turn_and_bank,  912,836,122,107
    gauge02=ST_Harpoon!Cabin Lights,  374,192,22,34
    gauge03=ST_Harpoon!clock,  529,976,106,98
    gauge04=ST_Harpoon!Rad_Compass_D18,  665,985,92,85
    gauge05=//
    gauge06=CessnaWAlpha!VOR1_Alpha,  497,825,110,101   //ST_Harpoon!ST_Radar Altimeter
    gauge07=ST_Harpoon!HW_FlapGear,  932,1000,89,75

[Vcockpit01]
    file=vc01.bmp 
    Background_color=0,0,0 
    size_mm=1024,1024
    visible=0
    pixel_size=1024,1024
    texture=$vc01

gauge00=ST_Harpoon!Altimeter_D18,  359,581,178,176
    gauge01=ST_Harpoon!turn_and_bank,  798,584,182,182
    gauge02=ST_Harpoon!ADI_D18,  550,334,202,210
    gauge03=ST_Harpoon!Cabin Lights,  259,458,22,34
    gauge04=ST_Harpoon!clock,  206,817,164,162
    gauge05=ST_Harpoon!DG_D18,  605,601,130,124
    gauge06=ST_Harpoon!Rad_Compass_D18,  416,829,143,148
    gauge07=ST_Harpoon!Gyro Set,  648,748,44,44
    gauge08=ST_Harpoon!ADI_Cage Knob_D18,  738,519,50,51
    gauge09=//
    gauge10=ST_Harpoon!VSI_6,  805,372,152,149
    gauge11=ST_Harpoon!HW_FlapGear,  824,854,139,129
    gauge12=Cessna!VOR1,  182,573,158,158           //ST_Harpoon!ST_Radar Altimeter
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Hi
    I'm using the Harpoon in P3D V4 so I'm not sure if that particular gauge would work (no 172). I'll have a look at what is available for my sim.
    Thanks
    Warren

Hi
    I'm using the Harpoon in P3D V4 so I'm not sure if that particular gauge would work (no 172). I'll have a look at what is available for my sim.
    Thanks
    Warren
    Sorry, didn't realize the P3D V4. You should be able to find a suitable gauge.

Gents,

No need to scurry about; there's a VOR1 gauge in your panel folder, ST_D18!VOR1_Indicator
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hello, I was unable to start the engines from the VC even after updating the "normalized_starter_torque". Thanks to Black Box, I identified that there is no way to set the selected fuel tank (my default flight is a very COLD start...). Hope I am not too late for the "Gold" version Thanks Gérard

Gerard,

Thanks for your comments.

I do not have proper fuel tank selectors and fuel transfer capabilities as I do not have a gauge programmer.
    None of the default xml code matches up with the Harpoon.

In FSXA, I did go to the Beaver and turn OFF fuel.
    I came back to the Harpoon and used cntrl+e to start without issues so that obviously turns on fuel to ALL.

From there, fuel usage uses the standard MS fuel tank usage sequence.

Maybe you have P3D and that works differently?

EDIT: Also, with all the tank options, the Harpoon is set up so that all tanks feed the center tanks from where the engines are directly fed via engine-driven pumps. OF course, booster pumps are available as needed. Secondly, fuel may be pumped from any tank to any engine.

So, generally, the fuel system feeds are automatic and transfers are only necessary in the event of pump, line, tank, or engine failures.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; March 10th, 2018 at 16:52. Reason: Further clarification
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    The original release Ventura Paint Kit by Firekitten is in the SOH library and will not change:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=20563&catid=7

I do not recall the specifics of the flight model but just checked and it does seem to be a copy of the Harpoon with obvious changes in weights.

I'll revisit that.
    Well, I guess I was wrong regarding the air file (even though the comments were not changed in it), the flight model was done using the Harpoon as a base, but then weights and speeds, etc. were changed to get performance for the Ventura.
    I did the initial and Tom Falley finished it off.

Doesn't mean it can't be revisited but it was done specifically for the Ventura.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vmax.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That's good Milton, but the dimensions are still the same, unchanged, from the Harpoon, in the dimensions tab. They do need to be adjusted to match the Ventura's dimensions. The dimensions still show the Harpoon's much larger wingspan and longer fuselage length, the Ventura was smaller in both.
    Mark

Hi Milton
    Not sure if this is something to look at but a couple of times during takeoff i have noticed that with the tail wheel lock on I don't have enough rudder authority to keep the airplane centered on the runway despite using full differential braking. There may have been a 10 - 15 knot crosswind during these takeoffs but it might be something to think about before the final version and of course if anyone else has experienced this. I'm using P3D V4.2 with FXRealWXPro.
    Thanks
    Warren

Hi Milton
    I'm back again.
    A while back I mentioned having difficulty seeing the pitch controls in the night lit cockpit. In fact there are several controls with which I have this difficulty and they include the carb heat and sometimes the tail wheel lock. Might be worth a look before the final version.
    Thanks
    Warren

Hi Milton
    I'm back again.
    A while back I mentioned having difficulty seeing the pitch controls in the night lit cockpit. In fact there are several controls with which I have this difficulty and they include the carb heat and sometimes the tail wheel lock. Might be worth a look before the final version.
    Thanks
    Warren
    I have notice that, also. It seems the handles of those levers blend into the console when looking at them from certain angles. At those times I rely on a keyboard stroke or two.

Members who have read this thread: 4