Lockheed Harpoon, Ventura, and Lodestar - Native - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lockheed Harpoon, Ventura, and Lodestar - Native

Quote Originally Posted by aspen31 View Post
    Hi Milton
    I flew the Harpoon a bit in P3D V4.2 and it flew like the beast I believe it was. I've never seen a Harpoon except in a Museum but I did see a few Howard 500s and Lodestars in the day - the sound and performance seem very close to my recollections. Everything (switches, levers etc) functioned as anticipated except the start which I could not accomplish - I used mixture full forward, propellers 100%, fuel pumps on, ignition on; a bit of primer and engage. The prop would turn once with each "hit" and then stop - Control + E worked well. This could have been me since I didn't have much time to play - otherwise this seems a good machine for V4.
    I would like to see a civilian freighter version if ever possible. Cargo doors are more fun than turrets for me.
    In the meantime any advice about start up would be appreciated.
    Thanks for doing this airplane.
    Warren
    Thank you Warren; advice posted above in previous response here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1130033
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

This is what I took the engine starting torque up to for VC engine startup: Works like a champ!

normalized_starter_torque =0.14347 //0.033

I thought the 0.30347 might be a little high so I compared it to the B-26 Marauder and went a tweachy bit higher.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Confused

I recently D/L a harpoon file (fsxharpoon.zip) and today I D/L (fsxharpoonbetav1.0.zip)
    Are they the same aircraft & liveries? What are the differences between the two files?
    THanks

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I recently D/L a harpoon file (fsxharpoon.zip) and today I D/L (fsxharpoonbetav1.0.zip)
    Are they the same aircraft & liveries? What are the differences between the two files?
    THanks
    Don't be confused! In Post#42 Milton released The Painters' Release and Limited Beta. The beta version is now what we are using to test different aspects of this aircraft. I'm sure a "Gold" version will be the final release.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Don't be confused! In Post#42 Milton released The Painters' Release and Limited Beta. .
    I saw that one and it looks like the same textures are in the latest release. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...7&linkid=23445
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    The beta version is now what we are using to test different aspects of this aircraft. I'm sure a "Gold" version will be the final release.
    Okay.... how do you turn on the tail wheel castor on (locked) off (Free)? Or is that not modeled in yet?

I saw that one and it looks like the same textures are in the latest release. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...7&linkid=23445

Okay.... how do you turn on the tail wheel castor on (locked) off (Free)? Or is that not modeled in yet?
    The aircraft has a castoring tailwheel.

Look at the contact points .... substitute contact point 0 for the one commented out.

Maybe I misunderstood. There is a lever right side of ecu to lock the tailwheel.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; March 2nd, 2018 at 15:03.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    The aircraft has a castoring tailwheel.

Look at the contact points .... substitute contact point 0 for the one comments out.

Maybe I misunderstood. There is a lever right side of ecu to lock the tailwheel.
    +1 on the Contact point uncomment/comment out! Otherwise you need to use rudder+brake=differential braking for steering while taxiing.

Milton,

May want to check the tgh model, external view under the Port wing. Looks like some kind of artifact.

-- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

If you are pulling over textures from FS9, note that a few textures have changed, and many have been added.

So, copy one of the texture.cfg files from one of my liveries and put into your FS9 texture folder.

It would be best to eliminate all but the fuse, fuserear, fuse_D, eng, wing, tail textures from your FS9 livery. Use one of the distributed folders as a guide as to what to keep. That plus the texture.cfg will then allow you to use all the new and updated textures with your FS9 livery.

The black spot on the htail is an area of the tails_t texture that was mapped separately after those liveries were done I think. See the attached mapping template for the tails.
    That's exactly what I did, Milton. I converted/flipped only the FS9 main fuserear, fuse, eng, wing, tail textures to DDS and put them in one of the distributed folders with the new and updated textures. Only trouble is that I couldn't copy the new alpha textures over so there aren't alpha textures at the moment. I'm learning and it's a bit of a learning curve for me to understand how to do the textures with bump mapping, etc for FSX.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    That's exactly what I did, Milton. I converted/flipped only the FS9 main fuserear, fuse, eng, wing, tail textures to DDS and put them in one of the distributed folders with the new and updated textures. Only trouble is that I couldn't copy the new alpha textures over so there aren't alpha textures at the moment. I'm learning and it's a bit of a learning curve for me to understand how to do the textures with bump mapping, etc for FSX.
    Mark,

You do not have to convert the FS9 bmp textures; just copy them over and use as they are.

However, if you want to convert them, there is no need to do that manually.

Attached is a bmp2ddsdxt5 folder that will do it for you.

Just unzip the folder.
    Put any bmps in the folder you wish to convert and run the "bmp2ddsconvert.bat file.
    In a few seconds, the conversion is done for you.

Then just copy the new dds textures to your aircraft texture folder.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

THanks
    Gray Eagle,

The initial release was an early beta and painters' release. (fsxharpoon.zip) It had 4 liveries I think and only the "C" model variants.

The new file is the official beta full release. It has 8 liveries, 5 based on the "C" model and 3 based on the"D" model.
    The civilian model is a "C".
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Milton,

May want to check the tgh model, external view under the Port wing. Looks like some kind of artifact.
    Thank you Sir; indeed, was a rocket fin one of the crew apparently guerilla-glued to the mount I suspect. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you Milton, for that little utility, it will be very useful for a fast conversion of the textures.
    Mark

Milton, the information regarding the PV-1 cockpit wall/bulkhead area I was waiting for hasn't come through , and the pictures I found on the web could be of some help, but aren't clear enough to show enough information and most of them have now gone with the photobucket whatnot in their place unfortunately. I do have one good picture though that shows clearly the wall/bulkhead behind the pilot's seat. This one is a PV-1 restoration in Australia

Some more pictures picked from what I found, hopefully they show up.

The PV-1, B-34 and RAF ventura all had the same cockpit bulkhead and basic cockpit structure. I understand that there was a radio operator's room behind the partial bulkhead and then another bulkhead following right behind that room. Not sure if you want to go that far Milton with all that, but if you did just that partial bulkhead in the cockpit that would be enough. I would completely understand if you just wanted to leave things as they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Work-progresses-on-the-internal-fitout-of-Ventura-59-96.-This-image-of-the-cockpit-was-taken-on-.jpg   Seats.jpg   Ventura-I_II-Interior.jpg  
    Mark

Hi Mark,

Nice pics of the seat there; I had not seen that one. The others I have.

Mark, I am not looking to change the completed model beyond the hundreds of animations, tags, and textures that are involved in the conversion. It will be the same as the FS9 model otherwise the interior textures will have to be redone. This is a "me" project, not a team one. :-) Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That's ok Milton, no problem, thanks:-)
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    That's ok Milton, no problem, thanks:-)
    Mark, thanks/ These FSX conversions are just that, not construction phase work. I have to be careful of changes made due to compatibility with all the liveries that have been done.

FYI, here are two samples of what the Ventura interior was like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pv1 nose.jpg   PV1_IA_4410_BG.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I just finished a night flight. Good job on the lighting both VC and exterior.

I am curious as to why the aircraft is without any external beacon or strobe lights. I assume this is intentional?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    I just finished a night flight. Good job on the lighting both VC and exterior.

I am curious as to why the aircraft is without any external beacon or strobe lights. I assume this is intentional?
    Thanks WH,

No beacon or strobe lights on the wartime models to my knowledge.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Making good headway on the Ventura glass nose version. Just got the basic exterior model work completed. although a few tweaks to be done.

Focus moving the the interior model now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-mar-4-001.jpg   ms-2018-mar-4-002.jpg   ms-2018-mar-4-003.jpg   ms-2018-mar-4-004.jpg   ms-2018-mar-4-006.jpg   ms-2018-mar-4-007.jpg  

Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks WH,

No beacon or strobe lights on the wartime models to my knowledge.
    Correct. Red beacons did not come into use until the mid-1950's, strobes sometime in the late 1970's, I think.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hi Milton
    I did some night flying with the P2V in P3D V4.2 and found that, at least for these old eyes the blue pitch controls are very had to see at least to perform an adjustment. I'm using a fairly good monitor and reasonable background light levels but could no precisely manipulate the pitch.
    Might just be my setup but I thought I would pass it along.
    Great airplane by the way - looking forward to a cargo version.
    Thanks for doing it.
    Warren

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Correct. Red beacons did not come into use until the mid-1950's, strobes sometime in the late 1970's, I think.
    I guess in all fairness, these lights could exist on the Civilian version, likely being post-war.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by aspen31 View Post
    Hi Milton
    I did some night flying with the P2V in P3D V4.2 and found that, at least for these old eyes the blue pitch controls are very had to see at least to perform an adjustment. I'm using a fairly good monitor and reasonable background light levels but could no precisely manipulate the pitch.
    Might just be my setup but I thought I would pass it along.
    Great airplane by the way - looking forward to a cargo version.
    Thanks for doing it.
    Warren
    Good observation Warren; corrected.

I do not recall a cargo version in FS9.
    This is a conversion project, not a construction effort. Sorry.
    I suppose the Civilian version could be used but I cannot make changes that might be expected for a larger door, cargo, and interior changes without a team effort to accomplish it all.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Regarding the beta test phase, I will hold the beta open for changes/corrections until Thursday morning, UTC -7. After that, I would like to prepare a "Gold" release package.

If you have any issues, problems, concerns, try to get them posted by late Wednesday/early Thursday.

Thanks for your help shaking this one out.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 4