AICarriers Question

Thread: AICarriers Question

AICarriers Question

I use the RFN_Gauge_42.zip and the AICarriers. Can be found typing: RFN-Avions - Royal French Navy - Restauravip. NOTE: Be sure to click *Translate Page* BEFORE going to site. Otherwise, it is in French. Download has both English and French.

Not sure where to start.
    What is the proper way to remove a lot of the names found in the RFN_Carrier.xml. I installed the AI USS Forestall today. But after I Press Shift+J, I have to press the 0 key 17 times to find my selection.
    What is the quickest way to correct this issue? Many thanks.

The 17 key presses were to find the frequency for Forrestal? What I do is add the frequency to the carrier name in the aicarriers.cfg so that I see it on screen when I select the carrier.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    The 17 key presses were to find the frequency for Forrestal? What I do is add the frequency to the carrier name in the aicarriers.cfg so that I see it on screen when I select the carrier.
    Exactly. Makes it very easy to immediately dial in the frequency after putting the ship out there.
    And if you forget it just open AI Carriers again and the current ship is listed at the top with that frequency.

The issue you have described is with AI Carriers, not the RFN Gauge. They are two independant programs.
    If you hit zero 17 times that means you have 17 pages (10 per page) of ships in config files of AI Carriers.
    Before editing the RFN_Carrier.xml file (which would not solve the problem) I would go into your AI Carriers
    "conf.d" folder and sort that out.

AI Carriers reads those cfg files alphabetically when it lists them. Maybe put a "1" at front of the name of
    the cfg file with the Forrestal and see if it doesn't rise to the top. It might not, I'm just typing as I think.
    Hope this helps.

Is it normal in AICarriers that there are two aicarriers.cfg files? One file has 13 formations and the other has 78 formations. Do I need to copy and paste the 13 formations into the cfg that shows 78?
    I named the one that has 78 formations as original. I don't get near as many pages this way. I have to press the 0 key eight times to get to the Forrestal instead of 17. I might just make my own aicarrier.cfg file and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by hardlucksam View Post
    Is it normal in AICarriers that there are two aicarriers.cfg files? One file has 13 formations and the other has 78 formations. Do I need to copy and paste the 13 formations into the cfg that shows 78?
    I named the one that has 78 formations as original. I don't get near as many pages this way. I have to press the 0 key eight times to get to the Forrestal instead of 17. I might just make my own aicarrier.cfg file and see what happens.
    A nice clean aicarrier.cfg file (the only cfg needed in the AI Carriers root folder) doesn't look much different than this and doesn't include any formations.
    Code:
    [base]
    throttle=60
    menu_shortcut=shift+j
    confdir=conf.d
    Formations should be kept in their own *.cfg files within the "\conf.d" folder. The product usually unzips with two (formation) cfg files: "harddecks.cfg" (various formations of the default FSX Navy ships) and "xpack.cfg" (based around the default Coast Guard vessels).

Life is much easier if you break your ships down into small groups of formations. I did a test and if you rename whatever cfg file includes the Forrestal by putting a "1" at the beginning of the filename it will be the first one read and the Forrestal will possibly be on the first page (depending on what else you have in the same cfg file).

Hope this helps.

Having a passion for this stuff, I have dozens, literally, of different .cfg files for AICarriers. I left the original aicarriers.cfg file it came with alone. I learned the hard way, when I ran into the same problem. Now, I keep all my .cfg files in a sub-folder to the conf.d folder. That way I can swap in a .cfg file, make my own, whatever I want, and delete it when I'm done without loosing anything. Just copy from the sub-folder up into the conf.d folder, use it, and when I'm done, get rid of it, and put another one in.
    I never have any .cfg file with more than 8 or 10 formations in it, so I don't spend all day searching for what I want. I use AICarriers for placing helicopter sling loads, as well. Great little program, it really is. But again, only 8 or 10 formations, or sets of sling loads.

By the way, are you using the original, JAVA based, AICarriers version, or the new and improved AICarriers.NET? I strongly recommend using the newer, .NET version, personally. It's more reliable, doesn't demonstrate the habit the JAVA version has of staying on after the sim is closed, uses much fewer computer resources during it's operation, etc, etc.
    I've heard that P3D has problems with the older version, but not the newer version, also, but I don't have P3D so I can say for sure.

Hope this helps a little...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

I am using the Java version. Not that I really want too; but just plain too stupid to make the newer version work. Have tried many times to install. Finally gave up.
    Did not have any luck making my own aicarrers.cfg either. Thanks for the input.

The .NET version works just like the JAVA version, it's just improved internally.
    May I ask, what problems you have trying to get it to work?
    Are you sure you install the correct .NET Framework as shown in the Readme?
    Do you install it OUTSIDE of C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(X86)?
    If you want it to start with the sim, do you have the correct path in the EXE.XML file? It's very critical to make it work.

When you make your own .cfg files, do you name them something other than aicarriers.cfg? Do you keep them out of the conf.d and root folders until ready for use? Like in a sub-folder of conf.d, or someplace you know where they are and can swap them in and out as desired.
    Do you use the first 4 lines (the [base] section) from the aicarriers.cfg file in your .cfg files? Do you ensure you start the formations with [formation.0], not [formation.1] in each .cfg file? Do you ensure that the line unit.0= under the [formation.X] header is 1) the exact same as the line title= in the desired boat's sim.cfg file, and 2) has NO SPACE between the boat's name and the comma that precedes the position numbers?
    If you want more than one boat in a formation, do you ensure they're separated by enough distance they don't interfere with each other's space? Obviously, a carrier needs more room than a destroyer. You can put the carrier at 0,0 and then space the other ships around it, say at 300, 300, and the next at -300, 1400, and so on. Negative numbers are left of the center, and ahead, positive are to the right, and behind.

Hope something in all this babbling strikes a helpful note somehow...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Sir, thank you so much for all this information. Will give it another try today.

Glad to help!
    Hope you get it going. If you need to, give me more info on what it's doing, or not doing, that it should, or shouldn't, and I'll see what I can do to help. I'm not Orion (the author of the .NET version), buuuuut...

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Well, today I was going to try installing the AI Carriers.net. I *thought* I had it. Can you email me a copy? Everything I find claims java required. Thanks in advance.

You'll find all the info you need in the first post from this topic on FSDreamteam:
    http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...?topic=11293.0
    I checked the download link, it seems to be still valid.

Man - Thanks to everyone trying to help me. I just downloaded AICarriers 2 (Net Version) and ran setup. See what happens next.

Well, nothing happened. Does not show if I press Shift+J. Does not show under Add-ons Tab.
    Last edited by hardlucksam; February 22nd, 2018 at 09:43.

SOH-CM-2023
    Start flightsim. then pause. minimize and then start AI Carriers outside FS. Then go back to FS and it should now show in the addon menu.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Alternatively, you can add it to your EXE.XML file, and it will start when you start the sim. That file is located in the same folder as your FSX.CFG file is located.
    There is an example of "How to" in the Readme file that comes with AICarriers.NET. It's most crucial to get the path correct. I go to the folder the AICarrers.exe just installed is in, and Lclick on the address bar on top of the Explorer winder. It should now be hilighted. Then just rclick on it, and click Copy. Now open the exe.xml file in Notepad, and paste the address you just copied into the <path> line of the new section you added. That way, you know all the capital letters, symbols involved, comma's, etc etc are correct.

Another thing: You DID download and install the .NET Framework Redistributable, as called for in the Readme file, yes? Without that, it no workie. Make sure that when you do install it, that you let the installer just run. It can APPEAR to lock up/freeze/stop running, but it is NOT. It just takes some time. I've seen it take up to 15 min or so to finish. Just let it run. Get some coffee, or a sammich, or something.

Let us know how it's going! If we have to, we can run you through it one step at a time until t's working. Definately worth the effort.
    Good luck!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

What is the proper way to remove a lot of the names found in the RFN_Carrier.xml. I installed the AI USS Forestall today.
    But after I Press Shift+J, I have to press the 0 key 17 times to find my selection. What is the quickest way to correct this issue? Many thanks.
    A light went off while testing the latest version of the RFN Carrier gauge. I realized this it includes an "aicarrier.cfg" file listing all ships that have an assigned frequency.
    That's 80 in the latest version. Now I understand why you have so many pages you have to click through.

My advice, although each name does provide the frequency, is to not use the file. Use the files included with AI Carriers and create your own additional cfg files as you install new ships.

So this is where the unwanted AI Carrier listing is coming from? I kept going to the AI Carrier aircraft.cfg. I will try the RFN gauge. I have version 4 dated 7/25/2015 with 78 carriers. Do you have something newer? Will give your suggestion a try now. Many thanks

So this is where the unwanted AI Carrier listing is coming from? I kept going to the AI Carrier aircraft.cfg. I will try the RFN gauge.
    I have version 4 dated 7/25/2015 with 78 carriers. Do you have something newer? Will give your suggestion a try now. Many thanks
    Version 4.40 of the RFN Carrier Gauge was released this week for both 32-bit (for FSX) and 64-bit (for P3Dv4).
    If you are going to use it remove the version you have installed now because the files and their locations have changed.

And again, don't use the "aicarriers.cfg" file included unless you edit it down to match what you have installed.

Tried to download the Version 4.40 of the RFN Carrier Gauge 32-bit (for FSX). Went to Google, clicked the translate page. No results. Tried again but by *not clicking* translate page, the download was achieved. Many thanks.

Tried to download the Version 4.40 of the RFN Carrier Gauge 32-bit (for FSX). Went to Google, clicked the translate page. No results. Tried again but by *not clicking* translate page, the download was achieved. Many thanks.
    I downloaded them earlier today and again just now. It worked both times but the file size has changed a few bytes for both.
    Maybe they were putting up corrected versions when you tried? Try again?

I wouldn't mess with any translator.

Follow this link http://royalefrenchnavy.restauravia....ations.htm#Gau and just click whichever link has 32-bit or 64-bit that you need.

Members who have read this thread: 0