..and the lights went on all over Europe.

Thread: ..and the lights went on all over Europe.

Blog Entries

..and the lights went on all over Europe.

Put that ruddy light out!

CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Blog Entries
    With Ankors latest shaders we can have night lighting!

This is a simple light texture I've made for scenerysheet_01:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yha5fo57czfkp4o/scenerysheet01.%2Bnlight.zip?dl=0

Pop it into your assets folder.

Then from your Shaders30 folder open the 'TextureMagic.ini' file. Scroll to the bottom and add this: scenerysheet01.+nlight.dds to the [NightSprite] section so it looks like this:

[NightSprite] ; Sprites which are drawn (fullbright) only when the world light is below the certain threshold set in d3d8.ini
    piston_exhaust_n.dds
    piston_exhaust_blank_n.dds
    scenerysheet01.+nlight.dds

Then run your cfs3config.

Thanks for doing this!

I'd posted this idea in the screenshot thread last March.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nshots!/page50 (Post #1233)

The discussion thread on Cockpit lights inspired me to create a scenerysheet01.+nlight.dds with the widows of all the buildings lit with RGB - 224, 218, 150 to create this shot:

Approaching London On A Moonlit Night Before The Blitz

Having this many lights showing does not appear to have any measurable impact on the FPS.

My version with the yellower incandescent lights was made available in post #29. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...mination/page2
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

By the way, it works even if you don't add the filename to the TextureMagic.ini file. That's because the +nlight suffix already let's the shader know that it's only supposed to be active at night.

Since this is really only appropriate for non-combat areas I have the file in my assests folder all the time but named as xscenerysheet01.+nlight.dds. When I want a fly a mission where it would be in effect I temporarily rename it scenerysheet01.+nlight, and viola, city lights!
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

That looks gorgeous! Makes me wish this weren't a combat sim with cities under blackout.

Blog Entries
    I'd posted this idea in the screenshot thread last March.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nshots!/page50 (Post #1233)

The discussion thread on Cockpit lights inspired me to create a scenerysheet01.+nlight.dds with the widows of all the buildings lit with RGB - 224, 218, 150 to create this shot:
    I knew I'd seen something on this but couldn't find the thread Andy, thanks for refreshing my wine addled memory!
    The lights certainly look better with a yellow hue. I've started playing with runway lights too but they still need a bit of work.

Makes me wish this weren't a combat sim with cities under blackout.
    I've always thought that CFS3 would make a great basis for a pre-war flight sim. Strictly VFR, the ETO/BoB/WoFF scenery looks 'old' as do the airfields and facilities etc. Shame we haven't too many Civvie aircraft.

Briliant Clive ..will have to get to it!! Is this in the vein of the +C cockpit lights mod. too?

Disregard above. Do some real night training with that!

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon25 runway lights

So you can make a runway facility with "lights" textured via a sheet like the one we see herein and then lace these objects in the mesh (white, blue, red or other colors) and at nigh the runways will be lighted. Hmmm, we had beta lights a while back (runway lights, runway beacons, and other direction lighted beacons - i made all the objects, just need to texture properly now.....) So if I correct it really does not matter if the to be lighted surface is textured a specific color just needs to be so that the new lighted section is textured to appear where the light is to emanate from. If this is so, should be real cool especially navigating for night operations to rally beacons as we don't have NDBs but the lights were used by the signal corps (Luftwaffe) to avoid being jammed by the RAF. Well at least this is better than not having any night time navigation aids.... Joy today!

The only draw back I see is that for every aerodrome you want to install runway and filed lights you'll need to original meshes. Well at least I have 10-15 Luftwaffe fields done ready for this.

Sounds like a great idea Ted. I wonder, can this be done with the actual airfield texture?

I just tried it with the airfield outline files and it didn't work, so evidently it has to be a texture applied to a 3D object like a building.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thoughts

I think this will work once I get motivated to jump on it. The distance rendered feature for facilities and objects will be important to plan out and should mimic the fact airfield lights were off unless a plane was approaching or taking off. Wish there was a way to request the lights being turned on but this would need spawn file and I think that idea is well beyond the files purpose/abilities.

Maybe I'll get the search lights looked at later today; have to finish the Manchester first.

Hey - my tracers do not display - any ideas?

Are the textures listed in the TextureMagic.ini under FullBrightSprite? If not they may just be going dim to match the darkness.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    I've started an initial test on runway lighting. The 2 rows of lights are a single model which is added to the airfield via the Gmax method.
    The lights themselves are cylinders with a domed top. I tried using just flat planes at first but the lights switched on and off depending on the viewing angle. The model is attached if anyone else wants to try them, They're for the ETO / BoB Biggin Hill airbase. The light model goes in the buildings folder and copy/paste the text entry into the units part of the Biggin Hill facility. The Gmax source is in there as well.

Attached Files Attached Files

lights

So you made a model (lights) that is unique for the Briggin Hill base that has lights running the length of the runway. What I have done is make an individual light model and placed one object say every 100 meters. So each base say has 100 lights in it as will be seen in the xml files. This allowed me to have one model that can be used for all the bases, just place the lights one at a time for each base. This also let me place taxi and end of runway markers too.

Each approach works just a different way of conceptualizing the problem/solution.

Looks good - the issue I see is that there is no reflection. Or am I doing something wrong?

I took a look at the visibility distance using the control tower buildings with interior night vision illumination as an example. With a 36% brightness red they first appeared to be visible at 3.5 miles. With the 18% brightness shown below the first hint of color appeared at 2 miles. Bright white lights are visible from a very great distance, so if you want to simulate having them switch on as you get near to the airfield, they will need to be fairly dim.

These night lights are done as surface texture overlays that are independent of the ambient lighting conditions. Anything that is not the pure black mask will show up looking just as it does in the +nlight file. They do not shine like a point light sprite so they will not illuminate their surroundings like the effects textures listed as FullbrightSprite in TextureMagic.ini do at night.

Control_Tower_Lights.zip
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    That looks very good Andy. I think that what this does is to not to apply 'darkness' to the texture so it is always seen as is, that's why there's no reflection. Or something like that anyway!

So you made a model (lights) that is unique for the Briggin Hill base that has lights running the length of the runway. What I have done is make an individual light model and placed one object say every 100 meters. So each base say has 100 lights in it as will be seen in the xml files. This allowed me to have one model that can be used for all the bases, just place the lights one at a time for each base. This also let me place taxi and end of runway markers too.

Each approach works just a different way of conceptualizing the problem/solution.
    I was trying to save time Ted. The model is two rows of lights. They can be merged into the gmax facility model and then manipulated to line the runway(s). In fact once the gmax facility is fully 'lit' with taxi and thresholds etc. all of the lights could be exported as a single model bespoke to that airfield. That means you only have one line entry in the facility file and not potentially hundreds. As you say 2 approaches to the same problem. :0)

It's a real shame that they can't just be added in as another layer in the mos file and negate the need for Gmax.

Mmmm...real night training now!! Terrific

So Ted has some LW/NJ airfield meshes and I am assuming Clive has all or most of the ACC ones. If so it would be nice to get some of the main BC airfields lit up.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

This could be another application for the tree facility tool Ankor is planning. Set up the individual light models in the facility, then merge them into a single model using the tool to save FPS. And others can make their own later on without being limited to only a few layouts. Somewhere I have info on what the different types of airfield lights looked like. IIRC most of them were flat or mostly flat to prevent them from being seen from too far away.

Hi different colors

Can't seem to get lights with different colors to display - do you have say red and blue versions that work?

Tks

Any idea on setting this up with WOFF scenery? I'd love to have night lighting to navigate by when playing around in pre-war Europe.
    :tgun2: :tgun2: M3 fAiL 3nglush thats umpossible!

Members who have read this thread: 0