P3d 4.2 now available - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P3d 4.2 now available

Thanks for that info, and thanks for reminding me about Tacpack; I had forgotten to check. I'll wait a few more days for
    the various compatibility patches to come out, and then upgrade both client and content.

- Rob

PS: actually I may wait a bit longer. There's been reports on AVSim that the latest version of FSUIPC v.5.123c causes
    stuttering and other problems in P3D4.2, and Pete Dowson is apparently on holidays until February 20th. Rolling back
    to an earlier version of FSUIPC v.5.122a reportedly solves the problem. Since my current P3D4.1 is running pretty
    well, I may just wait until a proper update of FSUIPC is available.

You can read about it here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...-terrain-data/

..and also in the long thread about P3Dv4.2 in the P3D forum at AVSim, roughly pages 5 to 8 (it's a very long thread, and
    getting longer).

You can just download Install_Client.msi and then uninstall the Client. Once it's uninstalled, install the new Install_Client.msi and have your P3DV4 Licence ID and Activation Password handy for online activation.

I would also recommend downloading Install_Content.msi, cont1.cab & cont2.cab as this will give your the new helicopters and aircraft fixes. Once again, uninstall the content and then install the new Install_Content.msi. You won't be asked for licence information this time.

All your add-ons and settings should be retained.

I didn't bother with the scenery as it don't change anything in the American and European continents.

If you use FlyInside (Oculus Rift/Vive), you'll also need to download the new version 1.92.
    i9-10900k @ 5GHz | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz C16 | ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti O12G Gaming
    i7-4790k @ 4GHz | 32GB DDR3 2133MHz | AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
    Win 10 Pro 22H2 x64 | GeForce 552.12 WHQL | Oculus Rift CV1 & S | Acer Predator XB281HK G-Sync 4K | Saitek X52 | T.Flight Rudder Pedals | MS Sidewinder FF2 | FS9, FSX, FSX SE, P3D V2, V3, V4, V5, V6, FSW, XP 10.51, XP 11.55, XP 12.0.9-rc-5, AFS2, AFS4, FlyInside FS, DCS, MSFS

Always prefer to do a clean, fresh install. Time to spare and not that many itens to install. Planes and Orbx, no thrills at all. Will wait for new, final, FTX Central.

Regards

Went the update route replacing client and content. Only issue encounterd was with Active Sky but quick update resolved that.

AI Helicopters and wingmen

Has anyone seen any documentation on the new AI helicopters and AI wingmen support.
    In the Aircraft folder there are two new AI jet (jetfighter27 and jetfighter29) but nothing I can find on what you do to use them as wingmen.
    I have found nothing at all on AI helicopters.
    Can anyone shed any light.

Best wishes

Gary

Hi Gary,

I was wondering the same thing myself and did a search and notice that they have "scenario ai helicopters" so it sounds like there could possibly be a little programming needed to get them flying.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    Hi Gary,

I was wondering the same thing myself and did a search and notice that they have "scenario ai helicopters" so it sounds like there could possibly be a little programming needed to get them flying.

LouP
    Thanks LouP

I didn't think to look at the scenarios. That would make sense.

Active Sky has released a beta update that works with P3D 4.2, and Orbx has released their FTX Central update.

Now I am just waiting for Pete Dawson to return from vacation to have FSUIPC update.

Not until then will I go through the hassle of updating P3D.

I never realized that updating P3D can be so cumbersome.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Just set up my new rig...an Alienware Aurora R7 with an i7 8700 chip (water cooled), 16 gigs of memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (8gb) graphics card and a 2TB hard drive. I'm going to add a separate drive just for the flight simulator stuff. Downloading version 4.2 right now, but won't install anything until the new drive is installed. I figure that some time this weekend I may be ready to fly. Good thing I'm not participating in the RTW race.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

I updated the Client and Content to v4.2. It was a seamless, quick, slick operation. No hassle. I'm a very happy customer. Lockheed Martin have good a good job again

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Active Sky has released a beta update that works with P3D 4.2, and Orbx has released their FTX Central update.

Now I am just waiting for Pete Dawson to return from vacation to have FSUIPC update.

Just as an FYI, I had no issues with FSUIPC after I updated to 4.2. I saw the same warnings but updated anyway and saw no ill effects.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Just set up my new rig...an Alienware Aurora R7 with an i7 8700 chip (water cooled), 16 gigs of memory, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (8gb) graphics card and a 2TB hard drive. I'm going to add a separate drive just for the flight simulator stuff. Downloading version 4.2 right now, but won't install anything until the new drive is installed. I figure that some time this weekend I may be ready to fly. Good thing I'm not participating in the RTW race.
    Congrats, you will not be disappointed. I bought the Area 51, but had serious considerations on the Aurora. The separate HDD for flight sims, is a great idea. Might I recommend an SSD HD instead of a conventional one though? Your access speeds on updating scenery and loading will feel so much quicker.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Unless your workflow with P3D requires you to do a complete fresh install of the entire version, all it really requires is for you to uninstall the "Client" portion (I always reboot after that process is complete) and then install the new version. . .done. In my case I don't care about new aircraft, I have enough I already don't fly and paid good money for. I fly a lot of choppers but the new AI Heli function is of no interest, neither is seeing raindrops on my windscreen.

Also, I've seen no decrease in FPS and no conflicts with FSUIPC.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I used Falcon's method, client only, and it worked fine. I have all my addons outside the program and on another disk to save SSD space. I even have moved many of the P3D aircraft to the other disk to save space. I only left aircraft that are used in the ai bgl. I'm debating whether to install the content. I also want to try moving all the aircraft to outside the program. Anyone else tried to do this?

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Orbx

One thing I am confused about. If I upgrade to 4.2 does this mean I have to re-download all my orbx stuff? I already upgraded FTX central.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by semo View Post
    I used Falcon's method, client only, and it worked fine. I have all my addons outside the program and on another disk to save SSD space. I even have moved many of the P3D aircraft to the other disk to save space. I only left aircraft that are used in the ai bgl. I'm debating whether to install the content. I also want to try moving all the aircraft to outside the program. Anyone else tried to do this?
    Hi,
    I have done that my sceneries are pointed using scenery.cfg, aircrafts are pointed by simobjects. cfg....and so on same for texture, gauges, effects
    upgrades are more easy

Hope it helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails config.jpg  
    Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win10/Win11 Pro X64

P3d 4.2 now available

Hi,

For those of you that have had the aerosoft F-16 installed in 4.1, LM has done some modifications to their internal model. By that I mean that if you, like me, had the aerosoft install set up in such a way that you pointed the panels folder to the default LM «F-16 Base» folder, you will no longer have LMFD, RMFD and HUD available in aerosoft aircraft. LM remapped the VC panels. Probably more efficient but that means you need to use the internal models of LM in all you aerosoft models folders. That means no external stores seen from the cockpit.
    I reverted back to the «old» VCs by first backing up the F-16 base folder from the 4.2 install, uninstalled the 4.2 content, reinstalled the 4.1 content (providing you still have it). Then off course you loose the new helos so what I did was to back up the F-16 base folder from 4.1, uninstalled the 4.1 content again and reinstalled the 4.2 content. Then I deleted the 4.2 F-16 base folder and pasted in the backed up F-16 base folder from the 4.1. That way you have all the new content, save for the F-16 base stuff. The LM F-16 will be U/S but who?s flying an F-16 without stores anyway. You could off course rename the F-16 base folder to something else and then point all aerosoft panels to this folder and paste in the F-16 v 4.2 folder to have the LM F-16s working again.

Best
    Dag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    One thing I am confused about. If I upgrade to 4.2 does this mean I have to re-download all my orbx stuff? I already upgraded FTX central.
    no you will be fine, unless you unless you uninstall the scenery part, you will only need to re install trees and global base all other sceneries will be fine

Hello knowledgeable ones. I've just completed the Client upgrade for 4.2 and it seems to have lost the link to all my add-on aircraft. The directory structure is unchanged - the add-on aircraft are in F:\P3D v4 Addons, all the individual addon.xml files are still there and so is the main addons.cfg in C:\Program Data \ Lockheed Martin. I'd be grateful for any clues to what I'm doing wrong - this was not a problem when I updated the client from 4.0 to 4.1. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    Hello knowledgeable ones. I've just completed the Client upgrade for 4.2 and it seems to have lost the link to all my add-on aircraft. The directory structure is unchanged - the add-on aircraft are in F:\P3D v4 Addons, all the individual addon.xml files are still there and so is the main addons.cfg in C:\Program Data \ Lockheed Martin. I'd be grateful for any clues to what I'm doing wrong - this was not a problem when I updated the client from 4.0 to 4.1. Thanks in advance
    There was this note over on the A2A forums about in some cases their planes not appearing in the sim after the 4.2 update, and a fix.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/view...p?f=23&t=63073

The problem was that in 4.2, LM slightly changed the way the path to the .xml add-ons folder was specified, if you have your .xml folder
    on a different drive than C (LM left the "\" off the very end of the path description). The fix is to go to the specified pathways you've added
    and remove the "\".

I don't know if this might be the same problem you're having. I haven't upgraded to 4.2 yet, so I can't see for myself.

- Rob

That's grand thank you Rob - problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    no you will be fine, unless you unless you uninstall the scenery part, you will only need to re install trees and global base all other sceneries will be fine
    I simply did a remigration in the ORBX FTXCentral after I noticed missing trees and some weird ground. After restarting v.4.2, all vegetation, textures and ground appear well as before....
    Best regards, Manfred.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to all. Deleted client and content and the reInstalled 4.2 client and content. Got a black screen the first time I ran it. Did a forced migration with the new Orbx Central and every thing is hunky dory.

This is is such a great place to get answers. Thanks to all of you gurus.

Bob

Thanks for the tip about FsReborn. I plan to check it out later today! NC

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    none with the exception of orbx and Tacpack, everything works fine, dynamic lighting works better as for effects etc i use >https://www.fsreborn.com/ai-lights-reborn-free-edition

its a handy freeware addon that improves many lighting fx with next to no impact, i now can run ai with dynamic lighting at 100% at major airports light FSDT LAXv2

while most people only say install the client, you are missing the bulk of the updates as they are contained in the content. so far i havent had a content update ruin P3D, right now even though i did a full install and then just reverted the client, I have all new simobjects, fx and fixes, i will do a client update when the tacpack is ready or i get my airbus in the next week, orbx have already patched 4.2

the client just updates the version number and any problems in the core dlls and cfgs, it doesnt add anything additional, every update p3d they have added additional features, aircraft, fx in the content.exe, your shooting yourself in the foot by missing out new features if you ignore the content updates

i use the p3d FB grou, they were telling everyone last update to only install the client, it was only after a few weeks of the new content they all rushed to install it, it pays to read the update details from start to finish as they normally highlight the new stuff towards the end of the war and peace post

mind you the nemeth CH53 that is included is horribly dated, but the new Romeo and hawk helo arent bad, and the several plus additional simobjects are pretty cool

Members who have read this thread: 0