FM(y)I

Thread: FM(y)I

FM(y)I

Two simple questions that would help me with my current projects.

1. What screen resolution do you typically run within CFS2?

2. Would a utility to output all gauge names in your gauge directory be helpful?

# 1 is for something I've always wanted to try. The 2000 SDK state's --

The most important feature of a panel system is its readability. It should not only be
    convincing, but must look acceptable at any resolution. Two sets of art are created to suit
    the needs of every resolution.

• One set of art is created at 1024x768 resolution and then resized down for
    800x600 resolution.

• The other set of art is created at 640x480 resolution and then resized down for
    320x200 resolution.

What if I painted a gauge at really high resolution and sized it down to say 1200x960? Would it make any difference? Could you then put the panel farther away?

For # 2 this new knowledge is incidental per another interest but I could use some practice coding. If you guys would find it helpful I'll put it on the list as a homework problem.

Guess I'm "back" now,
    Sam

I run at the max allowed 1920x1080x32 and have MIP mapping and anti-alias turned off, which are handled by my Gforce graphics card - much better quality visual.

There is a tool called Gauge Finder for CFS that also works for CFS2 and another called Gauge Copier, both which will list gauges in a panel cfg. I'm not sure a list of gauges in the CFS2/Gauges folder would be helpful or not, because gauge file names aren't always descriptive enough to tell what they are. There are also nested gauge files that contain many gauges but you can't tell what gauges are in those files unless you open them up.

IMHO something more generally useful would be something similar to a commercial program called EasyGauge V 2.0 by Blue Sky Software (long gone & no longer available) which allowed folks to develop their own gauges w/o programming knowledge. It would output the C++ gauge file from what I understand. I have a demo file for it if you are interested.

Regarding the resolution, I think that would apply to the VC panel? The 2D panel is a fixed distance. I never fly with the VC panels as usually they are pretty crude looking to me. Someone who regularly flies with VC panel would be better able to answer this for you.

As I understand it, Windows7 and up doesn't handle the 1024x768 resolution conversion to 800X600. Don't quote me, I could be wrong but but Allen can probably weigh in on this.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

For What its worth.....

.....and bearing in mind this is from a 66 year old who was issued a slide rule in college instead of a computer....

Just got a new HP-25es 25" IPS LED FHDDisplay, for my old 2009 HP Desktop running Win 7, and found that my best resolution now with the new display is 1920x1000x32. Although I can run CFS2 in full screen just fine, I'm finding it much more comfortable to use a smaller window size view.

oops

CK is right....its 1920x1080x32....my old eyes don't see so good.

Captain: (My bad -- wasn't specific ehough)

As far as a gauge finder I meant read the gauge names out of any/all *.gau files. It would be a binary read (and good practice for that other project).

And for a gauge maker, that has long been on the wish list. It would not be that hard to make an app which made very basic gauges but you guys can already do that by swapping artwork (usually?). To write one which suported anything like the full vesatility implied in the gauges.h header would take some time. It would not be that complex task, I would guess, but a lot of hours debugging to get it right. If it's any conselation I do believe it's my fault this one hasn't been done.

Finally, for the 2D panel I meant on the panel background bmp drawing it, perspective wise, farther away (unlike the stock panels which seem right under your nose). I've seen newer panels which do this anyway and they look good so perhaps it's not worth it. But then again I can't touch 1920xWhatever.

Wow Captain what a detailed answer. I had to read it ump--teen times to make sure I understood your points (if I have). Thanks man,

Worthless:

Thanks for the response. I'm 61 myself so I hear ya. North Carolina -- yikes, I could throw a rock (in SC).

And I still can't get over a 1920 resolution. Boy have I been out of it. And do "y'all" by hardware from "Cray Unlimited" or something?

Sam

The prob with panels and Win7 and newer is that if you use a 1024x768 panel bitmap you must also use 640x480 as well like stock CFS2 aircraft or remove the render_3d_window=1 from the panel.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

I'd like to run 5760x1080x32 (3 monitors) but I don't think CFS2 can handle it, even though it does show up as an option, so 1920x1080x32 on all 3 monitors.

Thanks Allen & johannesi,

Here's a gauge I just made at 1400x1400 and it doesn't look any better.

The pic is from inside the game and there are both 1024x768 and 640x480 panel backgrounds in the panel folder. The game resolution was at 1400x900. The gauge on left is F4F4_Wildcat!Turn-Coordinator and the new one is on the left (unsaid source).

So I guess scratch the screen resolution question.

Had too try it,
    Sam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NoCigar.png  

The game will load 1024x768 or 640x480 panel depending on screen resolution (and maybe if you using full screen or window mode)
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Hardware source

Ali cat....Most of my previous hardware purchases were online, NewEgg for instance, but my two most recent are a new HP Copier/Scanner/Fax (Office Jet 4650) and the HP 25es Display were at Best Buy. Their prices were competitive; I compared with online offerings. Plus, the advantage that I could have both immediately. No wait time. I'm happy with both.

Thanks Worthless -- I'll make a note. Tax refund coming soon and I think I deserve a present. And Yea, I've been watching that Windows 10 thread.

KC: New gauge is in the mail.

Sam

That's "CK: New gauge is in the mail." Oops.

Hi Sam

Check your email for report.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Members who have read this thread: 0