If it's not one thing it's another with this damned sim

Thread: If it's not one thing it's another with this damned sim

If it's not one thing it's another with this damned sim

FSXSE - Steam says it is still running and won't allow it to start. PC says it is not running which would be a miracle if it was as I rebooted the computer. There seems to be no info on this issue on Steam that I can find. Anybody know what to do before I chuck the damned thing out the window.

Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Try looking in Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and if there's a 'Steam something or other' (it has an odd name) running, turn it off.

No it wasn't that - Steam didn't feature at all there.

I think I figured it out though - delete all the files in every Temp directory on the PC and I mean every one. Steam itself has a temp directory for every game installed and one for itself plus there are about 4 other temp directories strewn with gay abandon on the C drive. Interestingly none of the Steam temp directories had leftover files within them.

So it now seems to be working - but that took almost 2 hours of research and reboots - there being only so much time one can devote to sims that it is for this weekend for me.

Yes dear I'm coming..................... sheesh.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Steam bootstrapper was the thing I was thinking of, but anyway - fingers crossed you have sorted it out now. Hopefully you can squeeze in a pleasant flight on Sunday!

If you have AI Carriers running sometimes it doesn't shut down after FSX closes (intended or not).
    Look in the bottom right corner of task bar and make sure the square icon isn't still visible.

Blog Entries
    if you have it, kill EFB otherewise go into details and kill any fsx related process.. yeah, its a hassle.. i gotta do it every time.. welcome to steam

All good tips except ....... this happened after a shut down overnight and reboot.... anyway its all good now.
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    If you have AI Carriers running sometimes it doesn't shut down after FSX closes (intended or not).
    Look in the bottom right corner of task bar and make sure the square icon isn't still visible.
    I have FSX:SE, but have never had this happen...yet. The whole "staying on" thing with FSX.

A small note on AICarriers: That problem where it stays on after FSX shut-down seems to have been solved by AICarriers.NET. That's the one I use, and it's never stayed on for me.
    That may just be me being lucky, though. The old JAVA based version does that, but not the .NET version. However, you can't have multiple iterations of AICarriers.NET running at the same time, but the .EXE version (the original, JAVA based one) permits that.
    Pluses and minuses for each one.
    By the bye, the .NET version uses much less in the way of computer resources when it's running. Leaves a lot of computer available for FSX.

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0