FR Handley Page Halifax WIP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FR Handley Page Halifax WIP

FR Handley Page Halifax WIP

Just in case you're interested, some work-in-progress screenshots of the Handley Page Halifax Mk.III. Still things to do, obviously, but it's slowly coming along. I have to say, getting to know this aircraft has been a very enjoyable process.

Mike

Count me in. Love that cockpit.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Gorgeous work there Mike.

Cheers

Paul

Looks awesome

A lot of great aircraft coming out in the future, going to be spending a bit of money I think!

Gorgeous.... Another one to WAIT for!

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Going to have to put my CC in a cool place. With this Halifax and the AH Lancaster it is starting to overheat wit excitement. Used to fly the Alpha Sim Halifax a lot in FS9 and FSX but sadly it no longer works in P3D.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

VC and exterior looking great!
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Two thumbs up!!!!!

Wow. What a great VC. Brilliant !

Anthin.

It's looking great Mike, thanks for the previews.

Thanks, guys . If you happen to be interested in learning more about Halifax's and in particular their operational history, there a great group on Facebook that I discovered when doing the research. Ken Marshall posts daily the Bomber Command diary entries for the present date, but 75 years ago (currently at Feb.3, 1943). Great place to get a feel for RAF bomber operations on a day-by-day basis, in real time. Highly recommended, and lists not just for the Halifax, but for all RAF bombers (seeing as there's an excellent Lancaster coming up) and what they were doing that day, plus the outcomes. https://www.facebook.com/groups/360779000665606/

Mike

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    WOW!!

Count me in!

Woohoo! Looking very nice. Especially that cockpit.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Beautiful - and a largely overlooked aircraft...
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    That looks absolutely awesome Mike!

It always amazes me that the British only had one pilot who had to wrestle such a large aircraft, must have been exhausting flying one of those on a night mission to Germany and (Hopefully) back..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Never thought we'd see an FsX/P3D Halibag, so it's brilliant that Mike is making one
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I believe that one of the reasons you had one pilot was you only lost one. He had the Flight Engineer to assist in things like throttle control on take off.

Great choice Mike, the model looks really stunning .

Cheers,
    Huub

Blog Entries
    As usual Mike you pick the coolest of the cool to do for flightsimming. I'm still in love with the DC-4!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Didn't quite escape.
    Already got a Haliibag base done to fly it from... This one is very much on my wishlist!

Quick questions though, Mike, if I may?

Do you use LODs? I'd love to make an AI file to put a bunch of Halifaxes around the dispersals at Elvington, but experience says that might not be a good idea (read: won't be!) if it's trying to load all the detail on all the models at the same time.

Also, are any of these squadrons likely to be represented, please? 77Sq RAF, 346 "Guyenne" or 347 "Tunisie" squadrons, FFAF - these were the Halifx units based at Elvington, so would obviously be the ones I'd like to see.

Don't ask for much, do I? <whistles innocently>

All the best,

Ian P.

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    Already got a Haliibag base done to fly it from... This one is very much on my wishlist!

Quick questions though, Mike, if I may?

Do you use LODs? I'd love to make an AI file to put a bunch of Halifaxes around the dispersals at Elvington, but experience says that might not be a good idea (read: won't be!) if it's trying to load all the detail on all the models at the same time.

Also, are any of these squadrons likely to be represented, please? 77Sq RAF, 346 "Guyenne" or 347 "Tunisie" squadrons, FFAF - these were the Halifx units based at Elvington, so would obviously be the ones I'd like to see.

Don't ask for much, do I? <whistles innocently>

All the best,

Ian P.
    Hi Ian,

I haven't really got that far in planning things, but have briefly considered doing something like the freeware formations I did for the B-17 and C-47. In which case, there would be some low poly Halifax models that could be used. However, I don't believe the RAF used the very structured formations such as those of the USAAF, and so the incentive isn't high, not to mention that during night ops you likely wouldn't see another aircraft. However, I'll definitely keep your idea in mind. Would be nice to have a Halifax base to operate from!

No paint specific schemes picked yet, and whatever isn't done on initial release could be covered by the inevitable paint kit.

Mike

That looks great Mike, a sure buy from me, and with a paintkit I'm sure we can make Ian happy!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Didn't quite escape.
    Thanks Mike.

I don't want to hijack your thread, so won't mention it any more beyond this, but Elvington is already in the "All in One" download of my stuff - EGYK is the ICAO. It looks like it could do with some re-work before I package it up on it's own, which is unsurprising, as I originally only created it for that slightly odd stiz guy who lurks around here occasionally (I'm sending him a link to this post, so he can clip me around the ear for that remark... ) but now we actually have a Halifax coming to the sim, that makes it a lot more worth the effort to spruce the airfield up.

The RAF bombers tended to operate in flights, three or four aircraft, flying in a continuous stream, rather than the US-style boxes, simply because they were trying to defeat radar and radar-guided interceptors, as oppose to the day fighters that the US encountered. The bomber streams weren't liked by the crews, who always feared collisions, but were proven to be a very effective defence, until better equipped night fighters (particularly those with upward-firing guns) came onto the scene. For that reason, a similar "combat box" formation to the B-17 one of yours that I have installed, I don't think would be particularly appropriate. I'm not sure how you'd be able to recreate a stream, in the sim, particularly well. I guess I'll have to go without my AI models. Oh well!

Cheers,

Ian P.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    Hi Ian,

I haven't really got that far in planning things, but have briefly considered doing something like the freeware formations I did for the B-17 and C-47. In which case, there would be some low poly Halifax models that could be used. However, I don't believe the RAF used the very structured formations such as those of the USAAF, and so the incentive isn't high, not to mention that during night ops you likely wouldn't see another aircraft. However, I'll definitely keep your idea in mind. Would be nice to have a Halifax base to operate from!

No paint specific schemes picked yet, and whatever isn't done on initial release could be covered by the inevitable paint kit.

Mike
    The 'Bomber Stream' was the order of the day.
    Or as an old (family friend) Bomber Command pilot now deceased put it, a 'Bloody great string of stragglers'.
    Maynard had a curious war (His words) as he started off with Coastal Command pre 1939 and progressed through Bomber Command onto Special Operations, all the Cloak and Dagger SOE agents into occupied territory etc.
    A thoroughly nice man and very 'British', shame he left us too soon, as I never did get answers to a lot of my questions re SOE.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Didn't quite escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    onto Special Operations, all the Cloak and Dagger SOE agents into occupied territory etc.
    Well, it's worth pointing out here that both 138(SD) and 161(SD) Squadrons used... Handley Page Halifax bombers.

138 were the most commonly associated with them, 161 primarily with Lysanders, but heck, 161 did ops using an Avro Anson I, Bostons, Wellingtons, Whitleys, Austers, Halifaxes, Mitchells, Oxfords, Sterlings... Even a Havoc I (BJ477/MA-R). If they could get their hands on it and it did what they needed it to, it was used!

Specifically for 161(SD) Squadron, I have DG286 (MA-X), a Halifax II, and LK738 (MA-T), a Halifax V, both used between 11/42 and 10/44. For 138(SD) Squadron, I have Halifax IIs JD172 (NF-S) and W1209 (NF-A), Halifax Vs LK473 (NF-J) and DG252 (NF-B). W1209 was used 10/42-08/44 and DG252 03/43 - 08/44. I don't have that info for the other two, to hand... But plenty more Halifaxes that I've already got a home for, there, Jankees!

Cheers,

Ian P.

Members who have read this thread: 2