Released!! F9F Cougar by Rob Richardson - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011

Thread: Released!! F9F Cougar by Rob Richardson

Cees,

Thank you so much for all these wonderful repaints!
    It was like Christmas when Rob released the -8 Cougar, an aircraft sorely missed in flight sim.
    Now it's like Christmas nearly every day!

Roman
    Roman

Thank you Roman! As long as I'm repainting I don't mind being in Lock down due to corona!

Cees

This one will take a while! Started weathering.

Cees

Blog Entries
    Looks spectacular, Cees!!

Many thanks (in advance).

Kind regards,

dl

Am I right when I assume that the Blue Angel Cougars had no stencilling?

Cees

Mike71,

Did you ever hear of anti-buffet spoilers? I came across a part to texture and I think it's just that, but I want to know for sure it's that.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Mike71,

Did you ever hear of anti-buffet spoilers? I came across a part to texture and I think it's just that, but I want to know for sure it's that.Cees
    These were spring loaded devices that folded down when the canopy was closed. They were for use when flying with the canopy open in the takeoff / landing mode to decrease wind blast. Once improved ejection seats became in use, takeoff and landing was done with the canopy closed and these buffet plates were uninstalled to decrease maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    These were spring loaded devices that folded down when the canopy was closed. They were for use when flying with the canopy open in the takeoff / landing mode to decrease wind blast. Once improved ejection seats became in use, takeoff and landing was done with the canopy closed and these buffet plates were uninstalled to decrease maintenance.

Thank you so much! Now I know I must paint these yellow, according to what I have read!

Cees

Uploaded the Bleu Angel repaint today. I tried to get more shine to the metal parts, but alas! It's as shiny as I could get it. Thank you Mike71 for your expertise on this subject. I furthermore like to thank my beta testers: Tarpsbird, Josh Patterson and Harley Dude. Thanks for the feedback. A special mention of Harley Dude is in place, as he went far beyond the scope of mere beta testing and provided me with a lot of feedback and material. Thank you!

Cees

A weathered one this time. The beginning is there.

Cees

Uploaded the Bleu Angel repaint today. I tried to get more shine to the metal parts, but alas! It's as shiny as I could get it. Thank you Mike71 for your expertise on this subject. I furthermore like to thank my beta testers: Tarpsbird, Josh Patterson and Harley Dude. Thanks for the feedback. A special mention of Harley Dude is in place, as he went far beyond the scope of mere beta testing and provided me with a lot of feedback and material. Thank you!

Cees
    Cees
    I tried to add GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds to the texture and that didn't seem to phase the chrome to shine any more then it does.
    I remember the Blues maintainers were always waxing and polishing the chrome on the A4's and F4's, They used a lot of Never-Dull.

Blog Entries

A weathered one this time. The beginning is there.

Cees
    That is looking seriously righteous, CD!!

Is the non-slip strip going to eventually continue aft? On most of thehttp://www.chinalakealumni.org/1965/1965mo.htm images I've seen (and granted, few are from the top) they go either right to the end, or very close to it:

http://www.chinalakealumni.org/1965/1965mo.htm - IMG #6
    http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...3_08_of_36.jpg
    http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...3_13_of_36.jpg
    http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/...3_16_of_36.jpg

Now of course, these are all different airframes, but roughly from the same application. I think the one that I'd suggest following is this one (attached) - probably the mirrors what these later period drone configuration.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Si066e6.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	75437

Not a biggie for me, and personally I think I'd be happy with how you've done it - but I have to assume that because the pilot's walk-around and/or maintenance crew access would require at least a bit more of the material.

But the weathering looks delicious!

dl

Keep on giving feedback dl! I appreciate it! It's only the beginning of this repaint. It will take considerably more time that the other repaints.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Cees
    I tried to add GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds to the texture and that didn't seem to phase the chrome to shine any more then it does.
    I remember the Blues maintainers were always waxing and polishing the chrome on the A4's and F4's, They used a lot of Never-Dull.

Well, the model doesn't have a specular dds file, hence it will not get more shine than it has now. If anyone has a workaround for this, I really would like to know how it's done.

Cees

Blog Entries
    Keep on giving feedback dl! I appreciate it! It's only the beginning of this repaint. It will take considerably more time that the other repaints.

Cees
    Thanks - sorry it's so hard. I thought it'd be an easier repaint ...

I figured it was still a WIP insofar as the no-slip coating was concerned, but thought I'd check anyway. And since, depending on what image you saw, it was by no means a consistently applied length, I'd offer my suggestion - nothing more, as you're the man with the brushes.

Cheers,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Thanks - sorry it's so hard. I thought it'd be an easier repaint ...

I figured it was still a WIP insofar as the no-slip coating was concerned, but thought I'd check anyway. And since, depending on what image you saw, it was by no means a consistently applied length, I'd offer my suggestion - nothing more, as you're the man with the brushes.

Cheers,

dl

The no-slip coating will be extended. I like the process of making it 'road worn'.

Cees

Blog Entries
    You're really outdoing yourself on the details, CD.

What a jewel. Thanks so much in advance.

dl

Blog Entries
    Hi Cees,

I don't know how I missed this particular page - I visit C9 photography a lot for reference material.

https://www.cloud9photography.us/Mil...rgar-Military/

It shows the various orange vs red colours on Cougars - even one with both colours (uggh!) But it helps keep the colours clear. Photo of 131004 on the bottom right is your closest match the scheme you're doing - although it's really more beat up, paint-wise. I think yours is as about as beat up as I'd like ... lol

Take care,

dl

Been mostly flying last week and started work on this repaint again today.
    It will take a while before it's ready! I brushed of my Karel Doorman carrier too and I'm planning to work on that again during the remainder of the covid crisis. The starboard side of the fuselage of the Cougar is nearly finished.
    These foto's you post are very helpful!
    For now: I'm going to put a Buckeye on the deck of a carrier!

Cees

Blog Entries
    Been mostly flying last week and started work on this repaint again today. It will take a while before it's ready. Be warned! The starboard side of the fuselage is nearly finished.
    These foto's you post are very helpful!
    For now: I'm going to put a Buckeye on the deck of a carrier!

Cees

Ooooh - looking lovely. Worth wait, that one will be.

Are you flying the Razbam T-2 off the CVT-16? That's great fun practice! It's got night lighting too, so you can start with "pinkies" (dusk approaches) to get you ready for night approaches .... eeek.

Seems Rob Richardson's site won't come up on my machine, is there another link for his downloads?
    Rob Schreiber

Quote Originally Posted by RjSchreiber63 View Post
    Seems Rob Richardson's site won't come up on my machine, is there another link for his downloads?
    He is no longer keeping his site running! He is adding his collection to the Library here.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    He is no longer keeping his site running! He is adding his collection to the Library here.
    Thanks!!!!
    Rob Schreiber

Members who have read this thread: 7