Released!! F9F Cougar by Rob Richardson - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Released!! F9F Cougar by Rob Richardson

This is somewhat off topic, so apologies to Rob and all, but this website Aviation Archives was a terrific site for downloading reference material until the owner started using FileFactory as a download site.

Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    Here's a link to the F9F-8 Flight Manual.

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/search?q=cougar

I have emailed Ron (the owner) and advised him of the difficulty in downloading material from a site such as File Factory. Their sole aim is to get the user to buy a paid subscription to their service. I have offered to contribute directly to him rather than spend money on a rip-off download site.

Vent over.
    mal

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    This is somewhat off topic, so apologies to Rob and all, but this website Aviation Archives was a terrific site for downloading reference material until the owner started using FileFactory as a download site.

Here's a link to the F9F-8 Flight Manual.

http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/search?q=cougar

I have emailed Ron (the owner) and advised him of the difficulty in downloading material from a site such as File Factory. Their sole aim is to get the user to buy a paid subscription to their service. I have offered to contribute directly to him rather than spend money on a rip-off download site.

Vent over.
    mal
    umm....I was able to download the manual the other day from Aviation Archives. If going to a paid subscription, I would recommend Avialogs.com. Very reasonable, great owner, and lots of reference materials. If Rob needs the Cougar manual, I can provide a link from my online storage.

Thanks for that. I was in touch with Rob at the beginning of the Cougar project and provided him with all my reference material on the aircraft. It was quite extensive and some of it did come from Avialogs. I have been an active paying member at Avialogs for quite some time. Great site.

Beautiful job Rob - I love these early jets! Is anyone working on a Blue Angels scheme?
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    Beautiful job Rob - I love these early jets! Is anyone working on a Blue Angels scheme?
    I'm a bit surprised that no WIP shots for any new liveries have been forthcoming. I thought people would really jump on this one.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

If I do any, it will be some H&MS-13 paints for the the F9F-8T/TF-9J

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that no WIP shots for any new liveries have been forthcoming. I thought people would really jump on this one.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

I;ve got two finished, a VMF-311 and a VMA 121. I've just been a bit busy lately.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

I've got two finished, a VMF-311 and a VMA 121. I've just been a bit busy lately.
    Any chance of an upload of those textures to this site? Just curious if they are similar in size to the textures done by Rob Richardson.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Wow wow wow

As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short, but thanks to Rob and his special skills, this aircraft is a winner+ Too bad your 140 MB paint jobs kept me from being able to fly this bird. It sorta killed my computer with CTDs when I chose the Cougar thumbnail in "Select Aircraft" page.

Thank you to Martial Feron for your repaints! Now The aircraft shows brilliantly and flies like a Banshee. Hope you will do the 2-seat model repaints also!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cougar.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	58454 Just click on this little bugger...it'll get bigger!
    Last edited by MrZippy; February 22nd, 2018 at 13:58.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short, but thanks to Rob and his special skills, this aircraft is a winner+ Too bad your 140 MB paint jobs kept me from being able to fly this bird. It sorta killed my computer with CTDs when I chose the Cougar thumbnail in "Select Aircraft" page.

Thank you to Martial Feron for your repaints! Now The aircraft shows brilliantly and flies like a Banshee. Hope you will do the 2-seat model also!

Name:	Cougar.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	58454 Just click on this little bugger...it'll get bigger!

2 seat variant is now available at Rob's website ... Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy208 View Post
    2 seat variant is now available at Rob's website ... Mike
    Hi, Mike! Yeah and I'm hoping some new repaints will be available for it shortly. What a fantastic aircraft to fly!

Members +
    Blog Entries
    It's been a golden age this year for new models. These two 'cats really made my year. Excellent, all 'round.
    The only fiddle I made was to reduce the texture size down to 1024 DXT3, relieving the strain on my coal-fired box and etch-a-sketch card. 102mb on the HD, which delays imploding that for a while longer.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Took the twogar around the pattern a few times at Moffit (remembering from 1958). What a great aircraft. Thanks so much Rob for bringing this to the community.

Finally,I had a chance last night to fly your Cougar Rob beautiful work,and great flight dynamics,thanks for your hard work.

Yep.
    Flew her straight out to the Orikany and had the nicest approach and trap.
    Agree wonderfully set up FDE.
    Rob, your ever increasing talent and generosity are most appreciated.
    expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Has a repaint of VA-192 been done for this great model? If so, have not been able to locate. 192 Golden Dragons was featured in the GREAT movie, "Bridges of Toko-Ri"! NC

Memorial Day weekend. Stay safe, shipmates, and remember those who sacrificed for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    have not been able to locate. 192 Golden Dragons was featured in the GREAT movie, "Bridges of Toko-Ri"!
    Wasn't that Panthers in the movie?
    ... and Banshees in the book if I remember right... based on an actual operation conducted by Skyraiders

ree repaints, can't say I've seen that many pop up in general, shame as its a really nice model.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Quote Originally Posted by fallenphoenix1986 View Post
    Wasn't that Panthers in the movie?
    ... and Banshees in the book if I remember right... based on an actual operation conducted by Skyraiders

ree repaints, can't say I've seen that many pop up in general, shame as its a really nice model.
    +1

F9F Panther jets from US Navy squadron VF-192 were also used to film Men of the Fighting Lady (1954). After the filming of these two movies, the squadron name was changed from "Golden Dragons" to "World Famous Golden Dragons".

Would still like to see a repaint for the cougar. Great movie-great plane!

I had admittedly just installed Ron's Panther the other day. It is GREAT!!! Thank you, Rob! NC

Cougar

Let me add THANKS ROB! Also just downloaded the Cougar Manual without any trouble from File Factory. Slow for me was only a 29 second wait and it was downloaded in just seconds. I also downloaded the paintkit and will look around for VA-192 photos though sadly a lot will probably be B/W.

I can't wait to get this on the deck of one of the straight deck carriers off Korea in the 1950's with CCP.

Just found these online:

This it says was taken aboard the USS BENNINGTON but my sources do not list VA-192 on CV-20 at any time. VA-192 WAS stationed aboard USS YORKTOWN CV-10 in 1957 so maybe they got confused.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the aircraft in the lead is a photo-bird
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails phzva192-aft.jpg   799px-F9F_Cougars_of_VA-192_and_VFP-61_over_Formosa_1957.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Let me add THANKS ROB! Also just downloaded the Cougar Manual without any trouble from File Factory. Slow for me was only a 29 second wait and it was downloaded in just seconds. I also downloaded the paintkit and will look around for VA-192 photos though sadly a lot will probably be B/W.

I can't wait to get this on the deck of one of the straight deck carriers off Korea in the 1950's with CCP.

Just found these online:

Tough finding ones in color that aren't just models.

Name:	Panther.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	60681

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Tough finding ones in color that aren't just models.

Just went back thru my history and indeed the Cougar was aboard USS BENNINGTON IN 1956-57 according to their history site. You can't argue with the guys that were really there with their cameras.

USS HORNET had Cougars aboard both as a fighter: VF-144; attack: VA-146 AND the photo birds F9F-8P of VFP-61 Here is one for all you repainters to duplicate This is what happens when you land on the wrong carrier:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 37.jpg  

F9f-8 va-192

Here is my afternoon/night's work using Rob's paintkit which is very user friendly. You can see this paint scheme in the photo above of the 3 Cougars over the mountains. At first I didn't notice the diamond marking on the tail because its yellow in a B/W photo. It was the hardest part of the whole texture because it has to be applied in two parts that to line up DON'T LINE UP. The port side went together the first try. Then after many prayers and reloads I finally got the right side to work. I am going to use this as a VA-192 Master texture which is why there is no registration or aircraft number on the nose yet. I may do the entire squadron with subtle differences just because I have never done that before. How's this Navy Chief? I think I am going to work over the walkways because they are not black in the photos and they cover up the yellow arrows which they should not do. I guess this is "beta" for the moment. I'll work on it and post updates. When I am satisfied its "as good as it can be by me" I'll download it for approval to post in the Library.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F9F-8 VA-192 (1).jpg   F9F-8 VA-192 (2).jpg  

The "Gun Test" in the panel is a Tacpack. When I had the aircraft at KNZY San Diego to take the pictures above it shows the Redtype surrogate that its got Tacpack but just the guns I can see because about the notes about the switches to see weapons. Is this going to be modded further for Tacpack ordnance?

Beautiful work.

Members who have read this thread: 8