Released!! F9F Cougar by Rob Richardson - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Released!! F9F Cougar by Rob Richardson

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomP View Post
    Beautiful work.
    Appreciate the compliment; my talent came from Him I also use my talents for the Lord.

A Sea Blue Cougar

From photos and other information...here is a Glossy Sea Blue F9F-8 Cougar of VA-192 I have a list made out from the photos that I have been able to find for the aircraft numbers and the only photo I have blue is 211 and 212 so I will be labelling this one as that aircraft with those side nos.and try and find the correct Serial Numbers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_180530_161546.jpg   Image_180530_161615.jpg  

SOH-CM-2024

Thanks for this two-seater Rob

I have the single seat Cougar and have done a Blue Angels paint for it. But there is no Spec texture and I just cannot get that polished aluminum effect I want. The screenshot here is a faux metal effect I put in, but I have another set of textures that normally work with a Spec texture and Alpha.

Cazzie

Metal effect

I have done a repaint for the Calclassic DC6/R6D and created a spec texture by studying other textures. I suggest you download it from the Calclassic website and study what they have done for the polished metal "tubeliners" which is how I by far not a texture expert did polished aluminum or stainless steel effects. They are achieved (hope I am not preaching to the choir here) by overlaying gray/dark gray/black. over the actual texture. Hope that helps what little I can.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; May 31st, 2018 at 11:47.

Ready For Action

Here is a complete repaint for VA-192 Golden Dragons of "Dragon-203" aboard USS YORKTOWN CVA-10 in the Summer of 1957. The squadron had a mix of glossy sea blue and gull gray textures evidenced from actual photos. The repaint for Rob's Cougar will be available in the Warbirds.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_180531_152626.jpg   Image_180531_152721.jpg  

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I have done a repaint for the Calclassic DC6/R6D and created a spec texture by studying other textures. I suggest you download it from the Calclassic website and study what they have done for the polished metal "tubeliners" which is how I by far not a texture expert did polished aluminum or stainless steel effects. They are achieved (hope I am not preaching to the choir here) by overlaying gray/dark gray/black. over the actual texture. Hope that helps what little I can.
    That helps and I have made Spec texture, but the aircraft had a spec texture to begin with and mine replaced it for the particular paint I did. Most FSX aircraft have a base spec texture, usually in the texture folder with the bump map textures. Rob's has a bump map, but no spec texture whatsoever. If I were to make one, how would the .mdl even recognize it? And for most metal textures for FSX I used gray base, dark gray alpha, and black spec. Just not working with Rob's Cougar to give that shine I like for the polished aluminum.

Cazzie

My next suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    That helps and I have made Spec texture, but the aircraft had a spec texture to begin with and mine replaced it for the particular paint I did. Most FSX aircraft have a base spec texture, usually in the texture folder with the bump map textures. Rob's has a bump map, but no spec texture whatsoever. If I were to make one, how would the .mdl even recognize it? And for most metal textures for FSX I used gray base, dark gray alpha, and black spec. Just not working with Rob's Cougar to give that shine I like for the polished aluminum.

Cazzie
    I created spec for the fuselage and the wing for my repaint as well as an alpha and either the mdl ignored it or accepted it because the texture works as you can see above blue VA-192 I didn't get a black aircraft meaning that the mdl didn't recognize the texture or it was in the wrong format from my past experience.

I know that Rob has been following this thread from a PM I had last night about my latest repaint so maybe he will give you some advice since he created this aircraft from the beginning.

This model deserves many more repaints! Here's a W.I.P. Just a few thing to improve.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Here is my afternoon/night's work using Rob's paintkit which is very user friendly. You can see this paint scheme in the photo above of the 3 Cougars over the mountains. At first I didn't notice the diamond marking on the tail because its yellow in a B/W photo. It was the hardest part of the whole texture because it has to be applied in two parts that to line up DON'T LINE UP. The port side went together the first try. Then after many prayers and reloads I finally got the right side to work. I am going to use this as a VA-192 Master texture which is why there is no registration or aircraft number on the nose yet. I may do the entire squadron with subtle differences just because I have never done that before. How's this Navy Chief? I think I am going to work over the walkways because they are not black in the photos and they cover up the yellow arrows which they should not do. I guess this is "beta" for the moment. I'll work on it and post updates. When I am satisfied its "as good as it can be by me" I'll download it for approval to post in the Library.

Was this one ever completed? If so, can't find it.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Was this one ever completed? If so, can't find it.
    Thanks
    It's not been uploaded here! I'm pretty sure of that.

Cees

Thanks to tgycgijoes for this paint.

Burner glow effect

I noticed that both the cougar and panther used the same engine,

When in full throttle, would like to see the cougar modded with the same burner glow effect like the panther. Only see a little nozzle flame effect during the spooling then it extinguishes.

I'm sure it would amount to placement of the same effect used by the panther i.e. fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx

I noticed that both the cougar and panther used the same engine,

When in full throttle, would like to see the cougar modded with the same burner glow effect like the panther. Only see a little nozzle flame effect during the spooling then it extinguishes.

I'm sure it would amount to placement of the same effect used by the panther i.e. fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx]

The various J-48 versions used in the Panther and Cougar did not have a "Burner" i.e. afterburner, of course, but the combustion section did glow noticeably (forward of the turbine disk) if you looked directly up the tailpipe - it was not visible otherwise, and modulated with power setting. Your picture looks pretty realistic for cruise flight, a little brighter at full power as I recall. The J-48 was a centrifugal compressor design, quite robust and reliable, but had the typical drawback of a "fat" cross section necessitated by the use of a plenum chamber built into the fuselage to feed the dual sided compressor disk.

Wheel cocks

This is another great work of art by Rob. I enjoy this one as well as the Banshee,

One minor thing is that I wish the wheel chocks were yellow like they were in the Banshee,

This is another great work of art by Rob. I enjoy this one as well as the Banshee,

One minor thing is that I wish the wheel chocks were yellow like they were in the Banshee,

Have you noticed that the bulge onder the nose isn't properly textured? Also the stabilizing fins of the Wings should be white on the front.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Have you noticed that the bulge onder the nose isn't properly textured? Also the stabilizing fins of the Wings should be white on the front.

Cees
    Are you referencing this particular paint? No, didn't notice that.

Maybe the author will read what you mentioned and correct it.

Cees
    The gun ranging radar dome was normally a dark gray fiberglass, but later when the Reserves and Training Command were using them without the radar they were often painted over. The "stabilizers" are wing stall fences and usually left bare metal along the line of the bare leading edges

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    The gun ranging radar dome was normally a dark gray fiberglass, but later when the Reserves and Training Command were using them without the radar they were often painted over. The "stabilizers" are wing stall fences and usually left bare metal along the line of the bare leading edges
    Thank you for pointing that out! Visually it should look a bit different than this though.

Cees

Hello,

-GrayEagle,i use:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.1=-30.00, 0.0, 0.0, fx_Sea_Venom_smoke
    Smoke.2 = -12.05, 0.05, -0.02,fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx // X----Y----Z

And it work !

Alain

-

Quote Originally Posted by alain0568 View Post
    Hello,

-GrayEagle,i use:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.1=-30.00, 0.0, 0.0, fx_Sea_Venom_smoke
    Smoke.2 = -12.05, 0.05, -0.02,fx_AfterBurnerFire1.fx // X----Y----Z

Alain

-
    It works for me too. Thanks.

If you look at the main fuselage texture from the original download, yellow chock texture can be seen above fuselage side view.
    I may have missed this in the paintkit.

Getting the hang of it again! Been a long time since I rock 'n rolled!

Cees

https://i.postimg.cc/s2cyDKJ0/Untitled.jpg

Getting the hang of it again! Been a long time since I rock 'n rolled!

Cees

Nice shots. Is this one you did? I'd like to get a copy of this one.

Nice shots. Is this one you did? I'd like to get a copy of this one.
    This is indeed one I did. And the one from post 133 in this thread.

Cees

[QUOTE=Cees Donker;1210255]This is indeed one I did. And the one from post 133 in this thread.

Cees[/QUOTE

I didn't see that one there (133) I saw this one instead
    I thought this one was a WIP.

Members who have read this thread: 8