Released!! F9F Cougar by Rob Richardson
Page 1 of 11 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Released!! F9F Cougar by Rob Richardson

Now Available for download!!

Awesome job as always Rob. . .thanks for another beauty!! Happy Birthday!!
    Last edited by falcon409; January 31st, 2018 at 11:28.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Thanks Ed
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Roger beat me to making this a sticky. Ed, do you have a link to the F9F Cougar?

Rob's Homepage Download the F9F 8 HERE
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

From someone who has quite a bit of time in the Cougar, I have to say this is a remarkable piece of work, and much of the detail of this technological dinosaur is craftily represented.

A couple of quick points, in no way criticizing this marvelous model -

1. The speedbrake system is very accurate - forward and aft (flap trailing edge) sections work properly. However, when the flaps were lowered, the fuselage set retracted flush and the aft set faired to become part of the inboard (under the fuselage) flap section to become one singe unit (per side). These fuselage sections are perfectly modeled.

2. The gear system works correctly, with the inboard doors closing after gear extension, an open first on retraction. This was a problem In real life on a heavy weight, high temp takeoff because the drag increase was momentary but noticeable at the first part of gear retraction.

3. The hook was dropped by pulling on the "U" shaped handle (actually took three pulls!). The "stinger button" below the hook handle raised the hook to the horizontal position by the hydraulic snubber under the tailpipe, which also acted as a tailskid (lowered and retracted with the gear), and is accurately modeled by Bob. The stinger position still had the hook point sticking a tailhook length back from the tailpipe but horizontal, and had to be pushed forward into the fully retracted position by a flight deck crew.

4. The two sets of aux air doors on the top of the fuselage served a plenum chamber for the dual faced centrifugal compressor disk of the J-48. These doors were spring loaded and modulated to gradually open in proportion to airflow demand when insufficient flow to the compressor was caused by high power settings and/or low airspeeds.

5. With the flaps down, the horizontal tail was conventional, where the elevator moved and the basic tailplane neutral position was set with elevator trim. When the flaps retracted, the whole tailplane become one "flying tail" unit.

This in no way a criticism, just some technical insight into an airplane that had many strange design features, not the least of which was that it was a typical Grumman tank as far as sturdiness was concerned

-Thank you Rob!
    And Happy birthday!

Alain
    -

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Roger beat me to making this a sticky. Ed, do you have a link to the F9F Cougar?

Rob's Homepage Download the F9F 8 HERE
    Shoot, sorry Tom, did forget the most important part, lol. . .thanks for getting the link up.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Happy Birthday Rob! You made me very happy with this one! Your best model!

Cees

Happy Birthday Rob and thanks for the Cougar.
    Mike M.​

Thanks Rob
    It is a great addition to FSX and Happy B Day

Tailhook engagement

Happy Birthday and thank you for the cougar

Last edited by gray eagle; January 31st, 2018 at 13:41.

Thank you Rob for all you do for our hobby!

And Happy Birthday!!! May you have many more!

A happy birthday Rob and many more in good health

Cheers,
    Huub

Rob, Thanks for the Cougar, great ride, completed carrier quals with no problem. A Happy Birthday to you and many more. Best Wishes, Harley Dude

SOH-CM-2023
    Happy Birthday to the Cougar man !!! Great model !!

Happy birthday, Rob! And thank you!

Looked for a cockpit familiarization video on Youtube, but only found one about the Blue Angels from back when.

If someone mods PutPut's R3Y,, you can do some period-accurate AAR in the Panther:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfvZ54xL0pE

Beautiful model Rob. Happy birthday! Thanks for your fantastic warbird.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Happy birthday, Rob and thank you for the glorious Cougar. Having a lot of fun with it, particularily on carriers. Thank you. Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Thanks Rob and

And it's a 'ditto' from me..

I must be doing something wrong: after a few minutes the engine stops, though I have enough fuel. Fuel flow is on and there is no overheating. I fly it in FSX.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I must be doing something wrong: after a few minutes the engine stops, though I have enough fuel. Fuel flow is on and there is no overheating. I fly it in FSX.

Cees
    Do you start the engine manually? If so try (the horror) CTRL-E. That's how I've started it on my first few flights. With tanks there's enough fuel to get from Oshkosh to NAS Pensacola. (Just.) I used time compression, but mine's stayed running so far.

It was already running. I checked all the switches.

Cees

Thank you Rob for a wonderful add-on!

Well, I've done a few short flights and one XC flight from KOSH to KNPA. I really like the way the Cougar turned out. It pairs very well with my VS Panther and performance is about what I expected. The Cougar has around 1200 extra pounds of thrust but the empty weight us up by almost the same so it's really not noticeable which is probably as it should be. I haven't tried any stalls and definitely no spins. (Back in the 90's a guy in the modelling club had flown Cougars. He said if you get in a spin below 12,000' you'd better vacate the jet because it would probably not recover.) It does however fly a demo routine VERY well! Rob did a great job setting it up. Nothing is twitchy. (Sometimes I get planes that if I pull back even a little on the stick I'd get almost full deflection of the elevators. Early release of the Milviz F-4 was about the worst.) This is one of the few planes I have that I can execute an 8 point roll smoothly in. There aren't many planes in my hangar that I haven't tweaked and the Cougar is no exception. I swapped the sound and smoke effect out with one from the VS Panther. The Panther used a J42 (RR Nene) while the Cougar used the larger but very similar J48 (RR Tay) so I would think they would sound very similar and probably smoke about the same. I also added to flap positions. One at 10 degrees and one more at 15 just for a little more flexibility in the pattern. Getting the Cougar on the deck is pretty easy. Get your power and trim set up and it will almost land itself! Just rock solid. When it's time for a cat shot a bridle is visible and that's a nice touch! I don't know if I can adjust the power of the launch or if I need to trim the plane a little nose down but on launch this thing really tips back on its tail.
    With the Cougar now in the hangar let's do a roll call. FJ1 Fury, Banshee, Panther, Skyknight, Cutlass, Cougar, Skyray, Demon, Crusader, Tiger, Phantom, Tomcat. Looks like the jet fighter lineup is complete except an FH1 Phantom and FJ2/3/4 Fury! (And maybe the F6U as it did see very limited service, so I guess it counts.) The attack side is pretty well accounted for as well with the A-3, A-4, A-5, A-6 and A-7 accounted for (and maybe the AJ2 Savage as it did have a jet.)

If its accuracy your after Josh you will find the Cougar had just one notch of flap at 22degs for the outboard and 40degs for inboard, no intermediate flap setting can be made, that is according to the pilots notes.

RobR

Rob is correct - flaps were either UP or DOWN. Always down for takeoff and landing, period.

Members who have read this thread: 8