DCS World 2.5 Open Beta Released
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCS World 2.5 Open Beta Released

DCS World 2.5 Open Beta Released

DCS 2.5.0
    DCS 2.5.0 opens a new page in DCS development. This is a unified version of the game, which allowed us to combine all the maps in one package. This version includes a significantly improved Caucasus map.

DCS World
    • Ground vehicles group, added to map from template, will not loses their task.
    • Helicopters AI will able to land to ships with helipads.
    • Mark panels added by triggers and scripting will not create a message for each panel added obligatory.
    • Added option to make Mark panel read only.
    • Removed the visible distant dots of aircraft below the cloud layer.
    • Added night blackout from September 1939 till May 1945.
    • After selecting ground commander role player will not able to control ejected pilot.
    • AGM-65 is limite with tracking of fast aircraft.
    • F6 weapon camera will indicate the g-load of missile.
    • SAM AI. Added Engage Air Weapons option to air defence units.
    • AI aircraft will attack the vehicle columns along their route and will try to cover whole column.
    • Aircraft AI with runway attack task. Added the random dispersion of release points for even coverage of runway.
    • S-3B. Corrected fuel weight.
    • Su-33. The group of Su-33 for carrier take off will be 2, not 4.
    • Amphibious ground vehicles will be able to sailing on rivers and sea.
    • Corrected jetstream position of some SAM missiles: Thor, Osa, Strela, Igla, Chaparral, Hawk.
    • Improved smoke marker effects.
    • VR updates:
      VIVE - controller enumeration fixed , hand transform fixed.
      OpenVR - add initial controllers update.
      New option --force_steam_VR - to force VR driver to use steam.
      Correct picture for oculus headset picture in Steam VE environment.
      Touch controllers - mouse wheel speed variation depends on thumbstick depression.
      Aspect Ratio setting will not breaks ingame overlays.
      Disable applying of scale GUI option in VR mode.
      Maxfps value will not affect in VR mode.
    • Improved NVG picture.
    • ES and CN localization update.
    • ME. Ships groups. Ship skill will not accidentally changed after mouse click.
    • APC AVV-7 40mm Mk.19 HE ammunition replaced by HEDP.
    • Added new model of small helipads (FARP) for single helicopter.
    • Added AI China AWACS KJ-2000.

DCS NTTR
    • Object 'CONCREET_CAN" destroyed state corrected.

DCS Ka-50
    • Added separate option slider for the helmet sight-ring displacement.

DCS AJS-37
    • New feature! auto-generated data cartridge. Choosable in the kneeboard (# 6)
      The Auto-generated data cartridge is a cartridge with five pre-programmed waypoints, where the third waypoint will be located on the first expected enemy units. This waypoint will take into account projected target movement and if you follow Time on Target cues, you will intercept your target. This is a work in progress feature.
    • You can now load a data-cartridge file stored in the saved games-folder without respawning. Details on this will be posted on the forums.
    • New Export of ELINT-analysis data to Saved games-folder added! It will be located in the %SAVED_GAMES%/DCS_AJS37/ELINTData.info file. The DCS_AJS37-folder must exist for export to work. This is a work in progress feature.
    • Added new JA-37Di “Akktu Stakki” Livery by Magnus Almgren https://imgur.com/a/FiYYE

• Fixed FORMLJUS not illuminating tail with deferred rendering on
    • Fixed fuselage FORMLJUS (slimelights) not appearing with deferred rendering on
    • Corrected landing light sprite movement
    • Landing light distance and attenuation reworked for deferred rendering
    • Landing light will no longer illuminate the cockpit
    • Landing light will now follow nosewheel strut rotation.
    • Wing nav/formation lights will now cast dynamic lighting
    • Fixed static airfield AJS-37 missing canopy & ejection seat issue.
    • Adjusted PBR materials for new tonemapper gamma
    • Fixed missing Bare Metal livery
    • Fixed missing ordinance icons
    • Fixed duplicate material name of canopy glass & rocket pod (Thanks Home Fries!)
    • Replaced default Viggen briefing UI image
    • Corrected AKAN Gunpod size
    • Fix to RWR showing ghost signals
    • Fixes to Time On Target calculation accuracy
    • Fix to second BK90 MJ1 not releasing
    • Fix to Glideslope indication issues.
    • Fix to inaccurate DYK and NAV bombing
    • Fix to Maverick-sight going off target
    • Fix to Easter egg triggering erroneously. (or, rather, in common flight parameters)
    • Fixed Lysbomb not releasing and FÄLLD LAST light not activating
    • Various Fixes to U22 and U22/A pods
    • Corrected shader parameters for cockpit
    • Corrected shader parameters for LoD1/2/3 to fit better with LoD0 Exterior.
    • Removed all instances std::rand() and replaced with ED’s replay-consistent random object. (does not fix all replay issues yet!)
    • Fixed Droptank fuel weight not being removed from aircraft
    • Fix to lift performance in slow speeds/high alpha flight
    • Corrected shader parameters for all ordinance models.
    • Fixed default radio frequencies.
    • Fixed an issue where an AI aircraft could not be assigned to common frequency ranges.
    • Adjusted missions for 2.5 Caucasus.
    • Fixed Canopy Glass in cockpit being practically invisible.
    • Fixed doubled up canard vortices and right wing will now generate vortices.
    • Adjusted ‘Mozdok Attack’,‘Moscow Takedown’ and ‘Attack the Camp’ Single missions for new Caucasus (thanks Grimes & Graywo1f!)
    • Darkened HUD Glass & adjusted indicator material for better HUD visibility
    • Added new F7 Skaraborg’s flygflottilj livery for Caucasus Mini-Campaign

Campaigns
    Adapted paid campaigns to new Caucasus:
    • F-15C The Georgian War Сampaign
    • A-10C The Enemy Within Campaign
    • A-10C Tactical Training Qualification Campaign
    • A-10C Basic Flight Training Campaign
    • A-10C Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Campaign
    • UH-1H Argo Campaign
    • The Border Campaign
    • A-10C Operation Piercing Fury Campaign
    • The Museum Relic Campaign
    • P-51D High Stakes Campaign
    • Black Shark 2 Republic Campaign
    • Su-27 The Ultimate Argument Campaign
    • A-10C Stone Shield Campaign
    • Mi-8MTV2 Oilfield Campaign. In additional added two new missions for single and multiplayer.

NOTE: for all those campaigns implemented the new keyless copy protection.

This update will be available only for Open Beta so far.

Patrick

***Wags Statement on 2.5***
    "
    DCS World 2.5 Open Beta is now available via an update from the 1.5 Open Beta.

Please use the Updater to install.

Thanks and enjoy!

DCS World 2.5 Open Beta Released!

The Open Beta version of Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World) 2.5 is a free-to-play digital battlefield game. The “release” version will be available shortly after Open Beta testing is complete. The Open Beta is an optional version of DCS World that we use to first test new content and technologies before moving them to our release version.

Our dream is to offer the most authentic and realistic simulation of military aircraft, tanks and ships possible. This free download includes a vast mission area of the Caucasus region and Black Sea that encompasses much of Georgia. It also includes a flyable Russian Sukhoi Su-25T ground attack aircraft and the famous WWII North American TF-51D fighter. An additional 25 aircraft are available for purchase.

The download comes with one of the most powerful mission planners ever designed, full network play and more than 156 AI weapons systems, 105 ground vehicles and trains, 50 air defense systems, 19 ships and 84 AI aircraft permitting you to plan and play highly sophisticated missions. DCS World is massively extensible through additional DCS modules as well as user-made add-ons and mods which you can purchase and download from our site.

DCS is a true "sandbox" simulation that is also designed to cover multiple time periods of interest such as WWII, Korean War, Vietnam, Gulf War and others. Current regions to battle include the Caucasus, Nevada Test and Training Range, and Normandy 1944. New maps in development include the Persian Gulf, Syria, Afghanistan, and others.

DCS World is fundamentally a deep, authentic and realistic simulation game designed also to offer a more relaxed gameplay to suit the user and his particular level of experience and training. The ambition is to hand hold users from novice pilot all the way to the most advanced and sophisticated operator of such complex weapons systems as the A-10C Warthog or the F/A-18C Hornet. The only next step is the real thing!

Key features of DCS World 2.5:

• The most realistic Free-to-Play digital battlefield.
    • One-of-a-kind, internally developed graphics engine that looks amazing from one foot to 80,000 feet.
    • Includes a beautiful, free, and highly detailed map of the Caucasus region that includes Russia and Georgia.
    • Includes millions of buildings, millions of km of usable roads and railways, more than 50 million trees, and 20 fully-equipped airbases.
    • Includes 156 free and fully operational weapons systems, 105 ground vehicles, 19 ships and 84 AI-controlled aircraft.
    • Fly the TF-51 Mustang and Su-25T attack jet for free!
    • Play all DCS World modules from one DCS World version.
    • State-of-the-art graphics with amazing lighting, shadows, and performance.
    • New breathtaking effects for explosions, clouds, fog, fire, and smoke.
    • Hundreds of land, air- and seaborne AI vehicles. The world is your sandbox.
    • Create your own missions and campaigns for unlimited gameplay!
    • Mission generator included that allows rapid mission creation.
    • Enjoy multiplayer with friends, and even fly together in the same aircraft!
    • Purchase and fly the most iconic airplanes and helicopters from WWII up to the modern day.
    • Mouse interactive cockpits for most aircraft and the most accurate flight models, cockpit systems and sounds available.
    • Purchase and fly the most authentic simulations of the A-10C Warthog, UH-1H Huey, F-86F Sabre, Spitfire, and many others now.
    • Exciting new aircraft coming to DCS World like the F-14 Tomcat, F/A-18C Hornet, F-4E Phantom II, Mi-24P Hind, P-47D Thunderbolt, and many more!
    • Purchase additional high-quality maps such as Normandy 1944, the Nevada Test and Training Range, and the Persian Gulf.
    • Play hundreds of missions and campaigns with new campaigns continually created.
    • Both hardcore realistic and casual gameplay modes and options available.

Minimum system requirements:
    OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3 at 2.8 GHz; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 / ATI R9 280X DirectX11); requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements:
    OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz; RAM: 16 GB; Free hard disk space: 60 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 / ATI R9 Fury DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation."

Patrick

**New 2.5 Trailer**.

Patrick

Absolutely gorgeous video Phantom. Thanks for posting.

I really wish they (DCS) would work a bit more on their ground forces package. Absolutely some great looking ground vehicles in the picture. I even saw a very nicely rendered Merkava which begs the question if they might be expanding the ground forces fleet too?

Can I assume this is going to be quite a large download, asking any that have begun the process? I am running the non-beta build currently.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous video Phantom. Thanks for posting.

I really wish they (DCS) would work a bit more on their ground forces package. Absolutely some great looking ground vehicles in the picture. I even saw a very nicely rendered Merkava which begs the question if they might be expanding the ground forces fleet too?

Can I assume this is going to be quite a large download, asking any that have begun the process? I am running the non-beta build currently.

I just started, and the download is around 22GB, although I am updating from the 1.5 Beta build.

I was also asked if I wanted to copy my files from V2 Open Alpha, and then delete that, as the 2.5 beta is actually replacing it, which I agreed to. So there were a lot of files copied from Open Alpha too, but I can't recall the size in GB.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Blog Entries
    Got my update yesterday the 30th UK time and it only took two and a half hours, haven't had time to try it yet, I'm looking forward to doing that later today. We've bee waiting for this for a long time haven't we

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    I just started, and the download is around 22GB, although I am updating from the 1.5 Beta build.

I was also asked if I wanted to copy my files from V2 Open Alpha, and then delete that, as the 2.5 beta is actually replacing it, which I agreed to. So there were a lot of files copied from Open Alpha too, but I can't recall the size in GB.
    Ouch! 22GB is pretty hefty, but to be expected with this sort of update. I guess my earlier question was a dumb one given how big of an update is required. Unfortunately, I am running 2.20 Open Alpha, so my upgrade has yet to be released. I will patiently await the next update. Looking forward to everyone's feedback on the new release though.

Matt

Nah, not a dumb question at all. I wasn't sure how many original files would be kept or replaced either, and really had no idea how big the download would be. I am (was) running all three versions at the moment, and to be honest I used V1.5 beta the most of all of them, but did use them all from time to time. As far as I can tell those three will be merged down to two versions after the updates. My only hope is that performance remains as good or better, as I'm sure everything else will be improved. I remember after the big V2 update (V2.0 to 2.1?) my performance was severely impacted, but that was fixed by renaming the saved games folders and letting them be rebuilt.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Good to know, I was having issues with 2 and went back to 1.5 only to have CTDs there as well, sadly not allowing me to fly some recently purchased models.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

I haven't touched DCS in absolutely ages, well over 1 year. Looking at my purchases they are all from late 2015... yikes time flies but there are only so many hours in a day. It is not even installed on my PC at the moment.

My question - will my purchases from then still work with this 2.5 version? They are as follows

UH-1H Huey
    Su-27 The Ultimate Argument Campaign
    Black Shark 2
    A-10C Warthog
    Flaming Cliffs 3

Thanks.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    I haven't touched DCS in absolutely ages, well over 1 year. Looking at my purchases they are all from late 2015... yikes time flies but there are only so many hours in a day. It is not even installed on my PC at the moment.

My question - will my purchases from then still work with this 2.5 version? They are as follows

UH-1H Huey
    Su-27 The Ultimate Argument Campaign
    Black Shark 2
    A-10C Warthog
    Flaming Cliffs 3

Thanks.
    Yes, there shouldn't be any problem. 2.5 is great give it a try, I think it's probably the best simulator on the market, I often use it just to fly around.

Ian

Naismith, yes, they will work just fine but make sure you save your controller settings/assignments before hand. I didn't and had to go in an re-program everything after the update. The update is a major improvement over previous versions and eliminates the need to have two separate installs (the alpha and beta) to accommodate the original Caucasus map and the Nevada map. The improvements on the Viggen were very significant and it now has a good list of Instant Action flights to choose from.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the info - installed it this morning (not 2.5 yet) - looks like a heavy relearn session ahead..... So out of touch
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Way impressive stuff, like no other flightsim I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzVW9315ur0

If this flight simulation becomes global terrain-wise then presently nothing could touch it's realism.
    I watched the whole video clip in pure amazement and wonder.

​.

Quote Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
    Way impressive stuff, like no other flightsim I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzVW9315ur0

If this flight simulation becomes global terrain-wise then presently nothing could touch it's realism.
    I watched the whole video clip in pure amazement and wonder.

It looks absolutely amazing. The best thing is that the way it looks is not the best thing about it. The aircraft modelling and systems are second to none.

Agreed! Even with the map system for terrain as the biggest draw back, I find DCS so much more satisfying flying over and above anything else out there. Especially on takeoff and landing... It really simulated speed well.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    ...I find DCS so much more satisfying flying over and above anything else out there.
    Especially on takeoff and landing... It really simulated speed well.
    And that is the most important thing to me about flight simulation, Rick: the Flight Dynamics.
    The visuals are secondary but admittedly are quite important to me, adding realism/immersion,
    including realistic weather simulations. I watched this beta version 2.5 video this past hour
    and learned a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYo_uo71zdk The thunderstorm as
    seen from below is impressive, yet from above it appears like a thick fog bank (so far, that is).

Am convinced my rig has the push to run this flight simulation acceptably well. The prospect
    of highly realistic carrier landings has also piqued my interest in this flight simulator as have so
    many other things.

Question please: How do DCS flight dynamics compare overall with, say, MSFSs generally speaking?

​.

Quote Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
    And that is the most important thing to me about flight simulation, Rick: the Flight Dynamics.
    The visuals are secondary but admittedly are quite important to me, adding realism/immersion,
    including realistic weather simulations. I watched this beta version 2.5 video this past hour
    and learned a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYo_uo71zdk The thunderstorm as
    seen from below is impressive, yet from above it appears like a thick fog bank (so far, that is).

Am convinced my rig has the push to run this flight simulation acceptably well. The prospect
    of highly realistic carrier landings has also piqued my interest in this flight simulator as have so
    many other things.

Question please: How do DCS flight dynamics compare overall with, say, MSFSs generally speaking?
    Well, it's not as if DCS is using Tables that don't exist elsewhere, so the physics behind all simulators is essentially the same. But the application is not. The way they translate these tables feels different. I can only comment on the specific aircraft I own. and Fly. But I do compare it to my real world flying experience. and the sensation of speed on takeoff and landing is nearly spot on the real thing. Taxiing is very cool. I'm not sure how they do it, but when you taxi, you feel the lateral sway in teh landing gear how the weight of the aircraft shift the plane side to side when turning and coming out of turns. When you hit seams in the concrete the aircraft bumps and I believe has sound as well...It's so immersive it's scary! But that is the type of detail that is in ALL DCS modules. If the switch exists, it does the function associated to that system. In most cases it's 99% simulated. Very high fidelity systems. To me, flight feels right. Take it for what it's worth. I've flown with a lot of RL T-38 Pilots and was beta tester on MV T-38A ADV and T-38C and can tell you that the DCS F-5 is so similar that it's flight performance is accurate. Nothing is 100%. But it is a joy to fly and experience of flight accompanied by the other details that don't exist in P3D is increadible.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    ...the sensation of speed on takeoff and landing is nearly spot on the real thing. Taxiing is very cool. I'm not sure how they do it, but when you taxi, you feel the lateral sway in teh landing gear how the weight of the aircraft shift the plane side to side when turning and coming out of turns. When you hit seams in the concrete the aircraft bumps and I believe has sound as well...It's so immersive it's scary! But that is the type of detail that is in ALL DCS modules. If the switch exists, it does the function associated to that system. ... To me, flight feels right. Take it for what it's worth. ... Nothing is 100%. But it is a joy to fly and experience of flight accompanied by the other details...
    You've pretty much sold me just with what you shared above, Rick. Thank you for spending the time to reply. The more videos I study of 2.5 then all the more exciting this becomes. New personal horizons. See, have honestly been struggling with exactly which 64-bit flight sim to pursue, now that my new box has arrived. As I recently shared with a friend here:

"...my biggest problem is deciding which 64-bit sim to pursue. Without full night lights I simply won't fly FSW yet. X-Plane 11 is too expensive. DCS World has staggering realism now but doesn't cover anywhere close to all of virtual Earth... Aerofly FS2's terrain has that dark, dusky lighting. Am not qualified to pursue P3d and honestly have never really wanted to. FlightGear has always showed so much promise yet lags behind for lack of developer support ..."

So something new for my experience seems to be in order.
    Am appreciating your response as I do others here, a great thing about SOH.

​.

​.

IF it helps any speaking of details and night lighting, if you buy the Normandy map, and set the Date range anywhere between 1939 and 1945, they obey the lights out curfew. Outside of this date range you'll get night lighting. Another realism detail that has come to encompass what ED has done with DCS World.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Dilemma

So, since there look to be some challenges with the upgrade of all variants to 2.5, how many are flying the 2.5 release and experiencing major issues? Are your issues enough that perhaps you have dual installs of 2.5 and 2.2? I am considering just installing 2.5 in order to begin flying again and also having access to the additional maps as well.

My fellow simmers, your thoughts and opinions please...

Matt

I'm flying 2.5, but I am not familiar enough with DCS World to know whether I am having issues (I will explain below). I also have the Neveda map. The upgrade from 1.5 and 2.0 was not difficult and seems to have gone quite smoothly. The good thing is now I have only one desktop start icon and can access all of my DCS items.

I have been trying to get by with my old G940 flight controller. It looks great, but the operation has been less than optimal. The "yin" of the Warthog HOTAS has been calling my name and the "yang" of my bank account has been responding. Add to that the really fine performance of P3D v4 (now with TacPack) and you can understand my lack of quality time with DCS World!

So I can give you half of an answer...the upgrade is not difficult and should install smoothly. 2.5 seems to operate well on my system (Ryzen 7, RX580 8 GBs). Other, more detailed, issues I am not yet qualified to give a comment. Hope that helps!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

No issues here. I uninstalled 2.2 during (or after) the installation of 2.5 Beta, which has basically replaced 1.5 Open beta and 2.2 Alpha. I did have all versions installed previously, and now I just have DCS World Release (1.5.8) and DCS World Open Beta (2.5).

I haven't used the release version since installing V2.5, which is the opposite of before, as I mainly only used 1.5 release and beta versions. I hardly flew in Nevada or the WW2 terrains at all. Since upgrading I have been flying the A-10C in Nevada (Red Flag Campaign), and the sim overall has never looked better. I have also been flying plenty of training missions (included and custom) in the Caucasus terrain. I haven't flown many modules in 2.5 (A-10C, F-5E) but the sim has never looked or performed better for me. The lighting, sky, and ground textures for example look amazing in Nevada. I have been flying many hours in the Red Flag campaign in VR, and had zero issues (besides being shot down). Two more missions to go and the second last one is proving to be difficult . mumble mumble ^$%$#^ SAMS %&*% mumble mumble

Cheers,

I'm not having any trouble in 2.5,Seems very smooth,Good FPS,Very VR friendly,I don't fly on line or in Multi-Player though.

Patrick

Thanks for the feedback all. It's nice to get candid replies and not the sour grapes version on other forums. I will install 2.5 tonight when I get home, provided my cable is up and running. Had to use my phone as a tether spot last night....however, downloading 2.5 and Orbx scenery's will require a bit more bandwidth horsepower that only Korean cable can provide.

Matt

Members who have read this thread: 0