Instrument Clight Questions

Thread: Instrument Clight Questions

Instrument Clight Questions

I am trying to get the instrument back light to work with Ankors shaders.
    I am working in the BoB install.

I have the Spitfire MK1A-54 working using MajorMagee's example XPD files. Can I make the light a little brighter?

Next I tried the Hurricane MK1-303. I used the same settings as the Spitfire above. Only the gear position lights and the instrument needles light up. No back light for the instrument face or numbers. Is this because I used the wrong numbers in the XPD file or is it a problem with model design?

I seem to have figured out the contrails after a while, but not the instrument lights. These are my first attempt at modifying files other than loading ETO, BoB and the shader package.

To make the lights brighter involves editing the +clight files to be brighter.

The most likely cause of one aircraft working, and another one not having lights is that they are referencing different texture files for the instruments, and there isn't the needed +clight file available.

The other possibility is that the cockpit is located in a different place relative to the 0,0,0 location of the model, and the UV light is not inside the cockpit envelope to trigger the illumination effect. When this happens you would typically see the bright red default lighting. The fix for this is typically to adjust the z location (forward and aft) in the xpd file.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    To make the lights brighter involves editing the +clight files to be brighter.

The most likely cause of one aircraft working, and another one not having lights is that they are referencing different texture files for the instruments, and there isn't the needed +clight file available.

The other possibility is that the cockpit is located in a different place relative to the 0,0,0 location of the model, and the UV light is not inside the cockpit envelope to trigger the illumination effect. When this happens you would typically see the bright red default lighting. The fix for this is typically to adjust the z location (forward and aft) in the xpd file.
    The default lighting is not there, just the lite instrument needles and gear position.

Are these problems able to be fixed with my limited knowledge?

Then it's probably that you haven't made the file ACC_b_gauges_1.+clight.dds yet.

I don't have my BoB install set up to use the +CLight function yet. Give me a few days, and then I let you know what I had to do to get it working.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Then it's probably that you haven't made the file ACC_b_gauges_1.+clight.dds yet.

I don't have my BoB install set up to use the +CLight function yet. Give me a few days, and then I let you know what I had to do to get it working.
    I don't see that file in the opened clight zip file. Also where would it go if I did find it?

Rereading the clight_list.txt, I see per step 3 that it say's to put the gauge_*.+clight.dds files in a sub folder "Clight" under aircraft/shared. I had put them directly in the shared folder and it worked as described in my first post. I only put the a & b gauge files in, not the whole list. I made a folder for them and moved them to it as per the instructions and then it said I had to rerun the config, which I did. After that it would not run past the splash screen. After many tries, including removing the new folder, I deleted most of the files in the appdata. Now it runs again.
    Was it the new folder that was the problem or do you have to remove the files in appdata when adding a folder?

That pack was a set of examples from my DPC Korea install and instructions for people to make their own files for other mods.

The file you're looking for does not exist and will need to be created. I may be able to get my own BoB install done in the next few days, and then I'll be able to send you what you need.

CFS3 will find files in any directory. The suggestion to put them in their own folder was just to make it easier to maintain them.

Adding or deleting folders should have no effect on the files in AppData. CTD may just be a sound.cfg problem with the last aircraft you were trying to fly. Also selecting an invalid loadout can cause a CTD. You can edit the game.xml to make ShowUIWorld="false", and it should let the game start and you can select another aircraft, until you get the problem fixed.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

BoB hurricane instrument back lights (+Clight) are working. I had to darken the room and zoom in closer to see them. I could see the coolant temperate easily because it was a light brighter green, but all the other gauges look like a very light dull purple. How would I change the color and make them brighter? As I said before all the needles are bright.

If you're seeing light purple that all you're getting is the dim UV light shining on unlit instruments. If they are brighter green, then there is a +clight.dds file associated with that instrument gage. In the case where you're seeing both it just means that some of the gages don't have the +clight file created for them yet.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I'm almost done with a supplemental package of files for BoB.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

The update will be here once approved by the Moderators.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...3&linkid=23361

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Your hard work is much appreciated.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Thanks Major, I just installed them and they worked good.

The position for the ETO Mustang Mk1 is

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="cockpit_light_uv" PosX="-0.475" PosZ="-0.5" PosY="0.60" Pitch="110" Heading="30" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="cockpit_light_uv" PosX="0.475" PosZ="-0.50" PosY="0.60" Pitch="110" Heading="-30" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Just a reminder as you try to implement some of these. If you have a +clight file for an instrument, but it seems to not work when it should, do a search for the beginning part of the filename to see if there are duplicates ending with +lrgb. You can use one, or the other, but not both types at the same time.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of your many hours you put into this, it is appreciated! :0)
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Here's a link to the old thread on this subject.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...e-illumination
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

The +clight positioning for the ETO Lancaster cockpit is:

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="cockpit_light_uv" PosX="-0.575" PosZ="4.25" PosY="0.95" Pitch="100" Heading="20" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="cockpit_light_uv" PosX="0.575" PosZ="4.25" PosY="0.95" Pitch="100" Heading="-20" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

The position for the C47 cockpit +clight effect is:

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="cockpit_light_uv" PosX="-0.575" PosZ="5.150" PosY="0.85" Pitch="105" Heading="20" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="cockpit_light_uv" PosX="0.575" PosZ="5.15" PosY="0.85" Pitch="105" Heading="-20" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0