RTWR Practice 2: The W->E Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RTWR Practice 2: The W->E Thread

Waiting, with bated breath, at UKCC, planning URWW SOH FSX Bearcat, default WX

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

SOH-CM-2016
    Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Waiting, with bated breath, at UKCC, planning URWW SOH FSX Bearcat, default WX
    Tomorrow night I'll dust off my headset and remember how to log into Teamspeak. For tonight, I'll just have to let you know I'm arriving by forum posting...

... starting descent, there in 6 minutes.
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

SOH-CM-2016
    Baton is free at UKCC

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/logs/BH...siIwzkOZ40.txt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BHr9hofyMiPHpO0F7siIwzkOZ40.jpg  
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

I have the baton UKCC to URWW
    SOH F8F Bearcat
    Default wx
    Online SOH server 23457

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

LVL ETA 35 min

15 minutes out
    ETA 23:52Z
    looks like I'm being chased by an AI Spanish registered B737

7 min out, starting down. CLR &Calm is nice to see

Baton is free at URWW

Going to take a bit to sweep the rust out of the system but at least all the parts stayed intact and I think I found them OK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_16-54-52.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Pat,
    You'll get variations on this but there are a couple of things to consider. First, this is PRACTICE so things are pretty low-key and the general idea is to shake off rust, remember the basics and gradually polish the details. As such, there is very little fuss about route planning as long as we generally head toward the designated end and discuss ideas or concerns along the way. We all have different skills and not everyone is a strategic or tactical thinker.

Once we get into 'race mode' much of the planning comes down to 1) where in the world we are, 2) How much flexibility there is in the rules as far as route options, 3) personnel available. Last year's format pretty well tied us to a simple route but there were still decisions based on leg-length and types of aircraft to be used to best optimize race progress. If the routeing is more free then it's likely that there will be a couple of people come forward who have honed their skills by previously making errors to plan the strategic route and most of the details. Planning can be a lot of fun and rewarding, but ti isn't easy and takes time to learn the tricks.

Even with all the micro-planning that can be done , there is one basic thing to bear in mind: in the end, General Rule 10.C applies "The baton-carrier has the final say on any given flight – its route, aircraft, and all other aspects of the flight – are his/her responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    If anyone can take a better leg, direction and range, feel free to throw out this leg and use that. I am always happy to be educated in "How to".
    Hi Pat, there are a number of us on the team who work together to decide on the route during the race and usually it's a case of establishing the basic course initially and then fine tuning it constantly as the race progresses. The shortest distance between any two points on the globe is a straight line and we try and stick to the straightest line we can given the locations of possible airports. Each of us have our own favourite tools when it comes to planning the route, some like to use FSNav or some other sim based navigation/mapping tool, Spookster likes to use the Great Circle Mapper (which is a great tool) while I like to use Google Earth with the FSX airports plug-in to give me a quick and dirty look at where we are going and then final checks for distances etc. are done in the sim's flight planner. I can quickly draw a line from point A to Point B and then see all the airports that are available along that line.

Let me give you an example for our current practice with a screenshot from GE.

The blue line represents the shortest possible route from the start to the finish.

The red line represents the legs flown so far.

The green line is the shortest straight line route to the finish from our current (at this time) location.

The purple circle has a radius of 500 Nm (the current max. leg length) and shows which airports are available for the next leg.

The small white icons with a red cross are every airport that is available in FSX and they can be turned on or off by country or continent or even just specific airports as required.

As you can see we are currently a long way from the ideal blue route but that route was not valid as the airports in northern Russia are few and far between. We had to come south but not quite as far south as we now find ourselves. There is a line of airports that will still take us to our destination along the green line (we will obviously have to zig and zag a bit) and we may have to accept less than ideal airports in terms of runway surface, nav aids and lighting in order to get there.

The SOH route planning team have been together for many years and and we find that our various planning systems work for us and we all over-see the route to check for errors/better routing/'gotchas' from the Race Committee (i.e. where they deliberately try to lead you into unforgiving territory.....lol) and anything else that might crop up like weather or the sudden need to put down in an unexpected place for some reason.

These practice sessions don't usually have a pre-set route like the race itself and each pilot picks up the baton and heads off in what we all hope is the best general direction to get us to the finish. Sometimes we go the pretty way (like now) rather than the direct route but the practice sessions are more about getting back to landing the aircraft safely with crashes turned on (some of us only fly like that for the race), getting back to using the Duenna (and remembering to start the darn thing eh Dave!) and generally just getting all the bugs and crashes out of our flying before race day.

Hope that helps you to see how we operate and the tools we use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GE_Tracks.jpg  
    Larry

Many thanks!That explains things perfectly. I see where I SHOULD have gone, and where I DID go. I messed up, I admit. I apologize to all for that. Having said that, I can see where I now need to route myself. I need to figure out at least one routeing tool, like the Great Circle one, which seems to have the functionality I need. I've been using SkyVector, and all I can do on that is guess as to length. I plug in airports until I get a leg that's about right, but I can see where that method isn't adequate. It led me far astray as far as direction goes. I will try a different tool or two, and see what I can do. Thanks again for clearing all this up for me.

Just to note: I'm glad there's a team in place for this already

In your own words, I am far more a tactical thinker than strategic. I will be unable to join the fun for the next 2 days, as doctor appointments prohibit my flying. Diabetic foot injuries doth sucketh...

I will be back and rarin' to go Thursday, though. Naturally, by than we'll be on another practice round, and I'll be lost all over again.
    See y'all ASAP!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

I have the Baton URWW to UARR in the F7F Tigercat FS9 Default WX

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

85 nm out

12 minutes + approach time.

the Baton is free at UARR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_11-19-21.JPG  

Swapped the RAM, keeping fingers crossed

I have baton UARR-UAUU FS9 AH F4U-5N FSRWX
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

All green, everythings working smooth again. 40 minutes out.
    MaddogK

inbound, bout 8 minutes
    MaddogK

down and green, baton free uauu
    MaddogK

SOH-CM-2016
    I have the baton, UAUU to UA32, in the Piaggio Avanti. FSRealWX Pro.

SOH-CM-2016
    ETA 10 mins

SOH-CM-2016
    Baton is free at UA32 (also known as UACK).

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/logs/nW...qnaLoSzQMM.txt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nW9vvKkKBI7FXOJKsqnaLoSzQMM.jpg  

I have the baton at UACK, heading to UASS. ABC Grumman F8F Bearcat, FSRealWX Lite.
    I am PRETTY sure I'm on the right route...

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

About 30 min out, plus approach.
    I need to learn how to do a good "Race Approach". Get really close, dive down, hit the deck. New experiences are always good
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

10 min out!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Down and safe at UASS,
    Duenna to follow momentarily
    Pat☺

Ok, I may be able to get in another leg this evening, if the timing is right.
    Otherwise, I'll be out Thursday. Hopefully, that'll be the last of all that until the 28th.

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_14-09-40.JPG  
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 0