Interest in RTW2018

Thread: Interest in RTW2018

Exclamation Interest in RTW2018

To all racers,

Hope everyone had a great holiday and a happy new year!!!!

With about 36ish days to the next RTW race, I'm trying to gauge interest in the race. Of the 3 teams that usually participate, I'm not sure if flightsim.com will be able to field a team this year so that probably leaves 2 teams. Interest in this event has been slowly dwindling each year and if something isn't done to re-invigorate this event, I fear it may be over.

Even we in the Executive team aren't sure if this year a race will proceed or not, hence I'm trying to see if there is want of it. If enough are interested, we can see what we can do to pull together an event this year.

If you wish to add ideas on how to reinvigorate this event, you can either drop them here or a post in the official race forums at http://www.fsrtwrace.com

It would be a shame to lose this long standing tradition but I know that interest has been dropping for many years although we do have new people showing up for this year's SOH practice so who knows, maybe we can get some much needed new blood on board.
    Larry

If there is a race we will be there one way or another.

So team SOH, you believe you will have enough members to field a team this year and make a go of it?

Am here, still have interest in what event has morphed into, am planning on participating.

If it's called this year, Dave- still up for that RTW Saber race ?
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

I scheduled my self off last year to race this year.

I have not touched the Saber I years. I should probably break it out

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

SOH-CM-2016
    Just a quick post to say hello. I'm interested, and I'm at home the weekend of 17/18 February, so that's a bonus!
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

If there be a race, I will be there.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Given that the Flightsim "team" this year looks like a total of two, my self and Poncho_Villa, I sincerely doubt we will have a viable shot this year. I am just incapable of flying legs for 24 out of 48 hours (2 people, 48 hours of racing...). Medical problems, personal responsibilities, etc, prohibit.
    SO: Given the very considerate invite from the SOH team leader (?), I will participate this year, for the SOH team. I sincerely appreciate the invite, if I may say.
    I don't want to seem a "traitor" to the Flightsim team, nor to be a spy for them on this team. I just want to fly in The Race, and if this is my shot at that, so be it. I just want to enjoy this event, as I did the first year I few. Not so long ago.

My thanks to the SOH team, severally and individually, for inviting me.

There's my answer to Eamonn, as well

Have fun all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

You are welcome Pat. PRB had posted this last year in the super secret team forum which gave me the idea for the invite:

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    If any of the other two teams collapses due to pilot shortage, they should be welcomed if they decide to look for a home here. Refugees always welcome.

FYI- One of our top pilots, Spookster67, was a refugee from the iFlyOnline team back when we had four teams for a time.

I'm sorry to see Flightsim has suffered so much from pilot loss. I even miss the annual Holkham Christmas event that RedGreen used to host.

As far as SOH goes, I'm not the team leader as we are a group of leaders really or should I say veterans of many previous races. A great bunch to go to war with I'm proud to say.

Sometime we all...

Way back in the distant past it was only AVSIM and FlightSim. We've been lucky to be able to field a team every year since we joined in this annual fracas around the world, but it's been "touch-n-go" the last couple years...
    HP Reverb G2

If the RTW Race morphed into a different format...such as the races held here at SOH a couple of years ago, where you would fly the legs on your own during a set period of time (say a couple of weeks) and post your Duenna times and such on the "official thread" I feel you would garner more interest. Not too many of us have the current race window available to fly. I completely understand the desire for a "live" event, but the waning interest the last couple of years calls for a possible re-think of how the race is run. My two cents' worth.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

The good news I've found the FS9 crash with the CYVQ-PABI leg I flew in practice, seems it was a funky texture in that area and weirdly only happens on east to west flights, not west to east. Replacing the textures from the install disks for the western north america area fixxed it. Sadly FSrealWX is still crashing even after a reinstall and windows itself is getting a bit unstable (BSOD's at random times) so I'll be pulling out the spare hard drive and reinstalling this week.

On a different note-in response to Paiken : I personally only participate BECAUSE it is a live event. IMHO the event would lose some of it's charm if participants could fly when they wanted to and allowed them to wait out bad weather. It would essentially allow everyone to have different race conditions which would negate a major attractive feature of this event.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

From the looks of it, if Team Flightsim decided to field a team this year, I would be the only member. One isn't exactly a team. I can race, but only for so many hours at a stretch. So if you here at Team SOH wouldn't mind, this is the ring I would like to throw my hat in. My sentiments echo Pat's. I just want to race.

Thanks,
    Frank aka "Ponch"

Hi Frank,

It is a sad state of affairs when we can't field a team for the RTW Race. If such is the case with FlightSim, you are welcomed here. It's been tough for all three teams the past few years. These days it seems there is far more interest in painting planes than in flying them! Hopefully we can keep this tradition going for a while longer.
    HP Reverb G2

Thanks, Paul!

As far as any particulars as to how Team SOH prefers to do things, just have someone send me a PM, and I will do my best to comply. Looking forward to sharing the skies!

Fair skies and following winds,
    Frank aka "Ponch"

Hey, Ponch!
    Good to see ya again
    Hope everything is going ok for you. I know where you live has certainly been "interesting" of late. Glad things are settling down.

Great to have you on the team. Nice to see a familiar face. All these guys are wonderful, and have been super friendly and helpful for me.

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Hi Pat!

Yes, it's good to be back. I concur with your assessment about the guys here, and yes, I AM having FUN!

Frank

Pat and Frank,

Great to see you guys here joining in the fun. Looks like there will be enough pilots to share the workload and the fun. Thank you for being here.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Glad to be here, Milton, and I appreciate this great group taking this orphan in
    It's wonderful to be on a team of more than two people this time

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Thanks, Milton!

Definitely having fun and happy to be flying here!

Frank

Members who have read this thread: 0