JF: Stinson L-5 Sentinel released - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JF: Stinson L-5 Sentinel released

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    I looked at the Sibwings option, it really pales in comparison to this new Stinson. In my opinion, it just looks like an FS9 portover to FSX, ported over to P3D. It just looks very dated indeed, at least from the screenshots shown on their site. I would love to be wrong, but suspect this newer version, though not an O-1, is as close as we can get.
    far from it matt, like their AN2 there was an up roar that did didnt work in 64bit, my time flying in could be measured in months not hours, it was a work art with all the different variants, it was damn shame that they folded and didnt convert it to 64bit, however like their an2 it hasnt been ruled out a future revisit

And flight replicas have a great L-4 as well

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Could not disagree with you more on that point. The Sibwings is a different aircraft and has a lovely VC and very nice exterior modeling. But it's horses of courses. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    I will second that, the Sibwings birddog is a fantastic model as in fact are all sibwings products.

You obviously never owned or flew the aircraft so really you are not in a position to pass an opinion in fact you seem to be passing an opinion based on a picture not a flight.

Cheers Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    far from it matt, like their AN2 there was an up roar that did didnt work in 64bit, my time flying in could be measured in months not hours, it was a work art with all the different variants, it was damn shame that they folded and didnt convert it to 64bit, however like their an2 it hasnt been ruled out a future revisit

And flight replicas have a great L-4 as well
    Guys, you are right in that I do not own the plane. I am simply stating my opinion, as noted in my reply, that the screenshots on their website do not do it justice, in my opinion. From a buyers perspective, viewing the newly released L5 screenshots versus what Sibwings has on their website, I would vote for the nicer looking released JF model. As I also stated, I might be wrong, but it is my opinion just based on what I saw from their site. I am glad they (Sibwings) has a robust group of fans supporting their product. I may give her a look over again, as I too would love to have an O-1 to just fly low and slow with, over the beautiful Orbx add ons.

Thanks all for the candid replies.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Guys, you are right in that I do not own the plane. I am simply stating my opinion, as noted in my reply, that the screenshots on their website do not do it justice, in my opinion. From a buyers perspective, viewing the newly released L5 screenshots versus what Sibwings has on their website, I would vote for the nicer looking released JF model. As I also stated, I might be wrong, but it is my opinion just based on what I saw from their site. I am glad they (Sibwings) has a robust group of fans supporting their product. I may give her a look over again, as I too would love to have an O-1 to just fly low and slow with, over the beautiful Orbx add ons.

Thanks all for the candid replies.
    If you are using 64bit, i wouldnt their copyright protection is 32bit

Apologies and correction to my earlier post.

Apologies to Sibwings, yours does indeed look rather nice. I got confused between Blackbox and Sibwings. However, to avoid additional darts my way, I acknowledge many of you will disagree with my opinion and I should have just refrained from mine, so apologies overall for my injection.

Ksheadley, thank you for the PM and recommendation. I appreciate the message and intent.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Just a shot I quite liked:

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Nice shot Rog.

You'll be wondering where the fuel gauges are. So did I. I've now found them. They are buried in the wingroot match ribs. So a quick fix patch is on the way with two shiny new mechanical float gauges so you can put your dipsticks away.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Nice shot Rog.

You'll be wondering where the fuel gauges are. So did I. I've now found them. They are buried in the wingroot match ribs. So a quick fix patch is on the way with two shiny new mechanical float gauges so you can put your dipsticks away.
    Knew they were there from the start Bazz. One of the first things I looked in my cockpit tour during testing. They are similar to the Piper Cub in location.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Nice shot Rog.

Great news about a fix to show fuel gauges.

It's been a while... and I'd ask in the Prepar3d v4 forum, but the readership there is minimal... how does she FLY? I would very much appreciate a few detailed reports, as the last couple of AH releases have left me underwhelmed. The graphics are wonderful, but there are a couple of flight details with the Beaver (late approach and initial TO roll) I still cannot reconcile myself with. I have been waiting for the Stinson, so I am hopeful she's a great platform....

Ta- C

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    It's been a while... and I'd ask in the Prepar3d v4 forum, but the readership there is minimal... how does she FLY? I would very much appreciate a few detailed reports, as the last couple of AH releases have left me underwhelmed. The graphics are wonderful, but there are a couple of flight details with the Beaver (late approach and initial TO roll) I still cannot reconcile myself with. I have been waiting for the Stinson, so I am hopeful she's a great platform....

Ta- C
    OK, I purchased the L5 as soon as it was available. I've flown it a couple of hours at least. I am not a noted reviewer. I consider A2A with accusim the tops when it comes to realistic flying qualities and while I do enjoy them greatly, a lot of the time I just want to jump in and fly without worrying about any of the real world considerations of ownership. I've never flown in a real L5. While I do have a lot of hours in both Champs and Super Cubs, I've never flown any small aircraft that has 190 horsepower. That's the base from which I say the L5 flies great. It will take off in maybe 500 ft and if you watch your speed, approach and touchdown angle, also land very short. I mention the touchdown angle because the approach is rather steep with full flaps and if the plane touches down without a nice flare at the end it will nose over.........which is probably accurate to the full size. It also will cruise at near 150 mph with reasonable MP and RPM levels. I don't believe that is real world accurate, but is fun in that you can use for flights other than putt putting around the airfield. I wish the pilots didn't look like they'd just jumped out of their Mustang and got into the L5 and I'm looking forward to the upcoming fix for the absent fuel gauges. So far it is one my more pleasant purchases. I recommend it to anyone who likes small GA type aircraft. I'm hoping someone will offer some repaints for the model, it is well worth the effort.

Many thanks binarkansas! If there are others here who have accumulated time in this L-5, please chime in.... TIA!

C

I have it for FSXA. It's nice, but not spectacular.

Exterior model and textures are great. Interior textures and sounds are good, too. It's easy to fly, and has the typical features provided by JF such as a Nav1 and ADF settings.

I've taken several flights in each of the textures provided. Takeoff is almost STOL as little runway was used. The view is spectacular, especially at night. The L-5 is nice for the casual flight.

Only feature I would ask for is a separate command for removing the student and instructor individually. In order to remove them from view you have to use the cold & dark switch. Also, it looks funny if you open the doors or windows then secure the aircraft. Minor stuff that doesn't pertain to actually flight.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Throttle Problem

I am having a problem with the elevator trim where it won't stop moving. I can trim it to a spot I want but when I release, it just goes back to -20.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Other than this, it is simply great.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom-

I would guess you have a keystroke mapped to something, sending the command... have you checked your assignments?

HTH- C

PS- if there are any other PIREPs re. slow flight behavior, 3 point ability, and tail behavior on the take-off roll, I’d be obliged.... Ta!

I just checked all of my keystrokes and couldn't find anything.

Really frustrating. I just uninstalled and will try again.

Tom

Tom-

Elevator trim DOWN is Num Pad 7.... Elevator trim UP is Num Pad 1... that or some conflict in FSUIPC is your issue...

HTH- C

Thanks C, I will work on it again today.

Tom

Trim will not respond if also, of course, you have maybe left autopilot on.

I installed the update and the problem I was having is gone. It fly's just great.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by THibben View Post
    I installed the update and the problem I was having is gone. It fly's just great.

Tom
    Do we just re-download the aircraft to get the update ?

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

Rich
    Edit :

Just noticed install exe file is ' 101 " now so all is well now . Love this aircraft . Very fun to fly .
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

Rich
    That is the way I did it.

Tom

Good to hear that you got it sorted Tom.

Members who have read this thread: 0