Re-creation of the China Clipper's First Flight - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-creation of the China Clipper's First Flight

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    I'm sorry if I missed it, but what plane is that you're flying? Beautiful.

I can't wait to go through your flight log tonight when I get home, I love your idea!
    I'm envious you got to talk to a Clipper pilot; I'd love that opportunity.

The plane I'm using is a Martin M-130 model available for free over at CalClassic. It's a visually accurate model of the China Clipper, the plane that Pan Am pioneered oceanic crossings with. Performance seems pretty accurate too, from everything I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by stearmandriver View Post
    I'm envious you got to talk to a Clipper pilot; I'd love that opportunity.

The plane I'm using is a Martin M-130 model available for free over at CalClassic. It's a visually accurate model of the China Clipper, the plane that Pan Am pioneered oceanic crossings with. Performance seems pretty accurate too, from everything I've read.
    Yeah, definitely a real moment in my life. He had some stories to tell. And even at his age was still pretty active. He talked a lot about the simulator system he was building, with a separate room with controls to create "failures" in MSFS for students.

Andy-

About to go Sextanting (not THAT sort) and HF DFing in the PMDG DC-6 this weekend. Have you installed these gauges in Prepar3d v4.4, or are you aware of any issues therewith?

Ta!

C

PS- Are you finishing in Manila or going all the way to the mainland? Loving the journey!

Hey Carl,

I don't know about the gauges in 4.4, I'm still on FSX. I know others have said the sextant works in P3d but I don't know about the versions. Also not sure about the weatherships/hfdf gauge. There's been recent discussion on the A2A forum of people using them though, and I'm guessing most folks are on P3d now so if they're still using em then your odds are good.

I'm stopping in Manila, since that's where the big clippers stopped and reversed the trip. A smaller Sikorsky boat stayed out there and ran the last leg of the service to Hong Kong. It would have been a waste to use the big ocean-crossing boats on that run. So in the interest of historical accuracy, we're done in Manila. (I think there is an S42 available at CalClassic though if someone wanted to do it... I think I'll need another break though!)

Done and Done!

Leg 5, Guam to Manila, is in the books, and that completes the journey. Thanks to anyone who's been following along!

Thanks for the series, I have learnt a whole bunch following the adventure. Now just have to find the time.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Well done Stearman Driver, followed this with interest with you. Even as I did myself coincidentally nearly at the same time, same route same aeroplane. It is some flight indeed. Very stylish video presentation and acknolwedgement of the role of Ed Musick. Highly recommended to all.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Well done Stearman Driver, followed this with interest with you. Even as I did myself coincidentally nearly at the same time, same route same aeroplane. It is some flight indeed. Very stylish video presentation and acknolwedgement of the role of Ed Musick. Highly recommended to all.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one .

Naw, that's great though that people are doing this stuff. We're obviously a niche within a niche (flight sim in general), but it's still cool. I'm sorry I didn't know we were doing the same route at the same time...

Stearman, well nearly, I used to post over at CalClassic but some ill timed and illfounded ignorant comments from a member made me rethink my participation and I decided I was not a fit there, so I quit.

Besides as you say you gotta really enjoy the challenge and era of these older flying boats to appreciate what an amazing effort it was by the Americans and the British on separate sides of the globe, it was a remarkable era of transoceanic flight done in flying 'boats'. The Martin 130 alas never did what is was supposed to - fly the Atlantic due to politics. Now I have completed the reconfiguration of JBKs S23s I am ready for the Atlantic runs via Bermuda.

What's the betting that member is no longer there. These know-it-all argumentative folk tend to pop in an out like my shoulder.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Stearman, well nearly, I used to post over at CalClassic but some ill timed and illfounded ignorant comments from a member made me rethink my participation and I decided I was not a fit there, so I quit.

Besides as you say you gotta really enjoy the challenge and era of these older flying boats to appreciate what an amazing effort it was by the Americans and the British on separate sides of the globe, it was a remarkable era of transoceanic flight done in flying 'boats'. The Martin 130 alas never did what is was supposed to - fly the Atlantic due to politics. Now I have completed the reconfiguration of JBKs S23s I am ready for the Atlantic runs via Bermuda.
    Huh, that kind of behavior surprises me from the CC forum. I've seen them be a bit curmudgeonly but never overtly rude or antagonistic. I noticed that another user who I've traded PMs with there in the past has deleted his account too; there must have been some drama I missed. Well, don't blame you for leaving, life is too short for that silliness.

I'll have to look up that S23 .

Yeah good idea. I have loaded up all my FSX flying boat base files as part of the package. They will give some scenery for some but not for all. But they will give you all the flying boat bases located accurately and based on checked historical records as to where they operated from. I also tidied up the cabin textures for the M130 which folks are welcome to have. FWIW it was through a flying boat discussion that I came into contact with the nephew of Ed Musack who had all the family records. he sent me the original accident report of the loss of the S42 out of Samoa that got Ed and was very informatiove about Musack in general. So amazing who can pop up on these sim forums. Same as I had the good fortune to talk to regularly the daughter of one of the old S23 Captains as I am slowly researching stuff about a Captain Jack Burgess who was a young Kiwi who brought out Centarurus to NZ and even Fiji and joined up at Auckland with Musack. She filled in dates and times and all sorts of stuff by looking it up in his log book.

As for CC well put it down to crusty old fart syndrome - that apprently cranky old bloke in the left hand seat that is the pleasure of all co-pilots when there career starts. I guess it was me. Ha! When youve been a C&T Captain Military QFI and still teach airline pilots I become quite intolerant when folks present faulty knowledge as fact.

Tell you what here if your interested here is a suggestion - Want to recreate the July 1937 crossing of the Atlantic in July 1937, when Pan Am went eastward in the S42 and Imperial went westward in the Short S23? I think basically the same day. I am curious about doing the Atlantic in an aircraft of this class, so probably is good to see what that was like. (Same as my old job, fastidious attention to every engine murmur and hours and hours of the big blue).

Tell you what here if your interested here is a suggestion - Want to recreate the July 1937 crossing of the Atlantic in July 1937, when Pan Am went eastward in the S42 and Imperial went westward in the Short S23? I think basically the same day. I am curious about doing the Atlantic in an aircraft of this class, so probably is good to see what that was like. (Same as my old job, fastidious attention to every engine murmur and hours and hours of the big blue).
    That is interesting, and I've definitely been intending to do some Atlantic flying on the boats. But right now I've started working on another historical re-creation project, coincidentally one that DOES take place in July 1937, but with a less successful outcome. In the other ocean, though. Just banged some quick scenery together for it; didn't put in much work, because we may never even see it, after all

PILOTS posted some new images of their upcoming Clipper on FB, you might be lucky enough to finish your flight with a new model

Stearman - I know the flight to which you refer. Fascinating how much material is about on that flight, I got the JF or AH Lockheed 10 to do it, though about it for months and then put it to one side. You going to the round the globe in it's entirety from the US to Mid Pacific or pick up half way. I think the Atlantic, Indian Ocean crossings are enough of a challenge. Have fun, it is a fascinating navigation problem and the navigator knew his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    PILOTS posted some new images of their upcoming Clipper on FB, you might be lucky enough to finish your flight with a new model
    Jeansy still hoping on this one a definite one day. Get it painted in BOAC WW2 colours would be a treat.

Thanks for the heads up on the new 314 pics. I will also be all over this on day one; well, except that I'm on FSX still and I think they're releasing the P3d version first.

Bendy, you overestimate my commitment . I'm attacking just the final leg of that journey, after studying it pretty intently for a while now. I think I'm going to simulate 3 different scenarios, and we'll see how they all turn out.

Stearmandriver,

I also really enjoyed this series, and hope one day soon to have time to learn how to use celestial navigation using your instructions. You've opened a whole new world! Thanks for your research, time, and effort in bringing this experience to us.

I loved your comparison of the awe people felt for the Martin Clipper and that of the Space Shuttle. That really put it in perspective for me!

Best regards,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by stearmandriver View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the new 314 pics. I will also be all over this on day one; well, except that I'm on FSX still and I think they're releasing the P3d version first.

Bendy, you overestimate my commitment . I'm attacking just the final leg of that journey, after studying it pretty intently for a while now. I think I'm going to simulate 3 different scenarios, and we'll see how they all turn out.
    Ha! it was well above my commitments too. Understand the final leg stuff. This is a really tricky navigation problem, nailing a line of longitude and time then deciding left or right to the destination. The technique worked for Francis Chichester in his Gypsy Moth flying to Australia and got him to Lord Howe, so many possibilities the weather was ordinary and fuel now scarce, this one had the pucker factor allright.

Members who have read this thread: 1