Hms queen elizabeth
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hms queen elizabeth

Hms queen elizabeth

First test of the model in the sim, testing the animation of the doors, elevators, info screens , lights and others

https://youtu.be/x5gUp7pkJag

That's a top model you've created there matey!

Gaz

Probably works better than the real thing and doesn't leak either.

Quote Originally Posted by CIMOGT View Post
    First test of the model in the sim, testing the animation of the doors, elevators, info screens , lights and others

https://youtu.be/x5gUp7pkJag
    Brilliant work...!
    The info screens with actual deck status caught me completely by surprise.
    Nice job staying ahead of the curve...

Looking good
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Quote Originally Posted by simondix View Post
    Probably works better than the real thing and doesn't leak either.

Looking under the hull of most virtual ships there's a helluva lot more water sloshing around the empty hull than Lizzie!

I love the UK press - 'new warship leak shock horror!'....I've yet to come across any ship which doesn't suffer a propeller shaft seal leak from time to time. It's not the easiest to seal and maintain a turning steel shaft that exits the hull directly into the ocean.

200 litres and hour? My garden pond pump can handle more than that!!

Best
    Gaz

I agree with you completely.

In most vessels leakage around the stern gland is part of the shaft cooling system.there are not many dry glands.

I believe the Queen Elizabeth has a pneumatic gland shaft seal.

Cheers Chris
    PS As far as the medias knowledge of ships the most annoying thing to me is the use of their expression the HMS Whatever.

HMS stands for her majesty's ship so you cannot say "The her majesty's ship ----

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601 View Post
    Looking under the hull of most virtual ships there's a helluva lot more water sloshing around the empty hull than Lizzie!

I love the UK press - 'new warship leak shock horror!'....I've yet to come across any ship which doesn't suffer a propeller shaft seal leak from time to time. It's not the easiest to seal and maintain a turning steel shaft that exits the hull directly into the ocean.

200 litres and hour? My garden pond pump can handle more than that!!

Best
    Gaz
    Lemme guess..... Daily Mail? The great spreader of misinformation, negativity and downright lies.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

There's a reason it's now known as the Daily Fail!

It used to be a respectable newspaper 25+ years ago and I was a regular reader of it's Sunday edition (The Mail on Sunday) when I still lived in the UK, mostly for the usually informative colour supplement and the comics section.

It has gone drastically down-hill over the years and now resides firmly among the 'gutter press'.
    Larry

Really nice! Looking forward to it!!

Seawing

still testing the model

Testing the deck air wing and lights
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1hms1.jpg   1hms5.jpg   1hms9.jpg   1hms13.jpg  

Looking good! Minor nit pick, flyco and the bridge would have dim red lighting at night rather than white. Think dim enough to walk into things until you'd been there for five minutes or so...

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    Looking good! Minor nit pick, flyco and the bridge would have dim red lighting at night rather than white. Think dim enough to walk into things until you'd been there for five minutes or so...
    Heck, I don't need dim, red, lighting for that. I walk into things in broad daylight. Or even narrow daylight.

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

To be honest I was surprised when I opened the video, I expected to see something more like this.

I guess I am just weird .
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Test of the panel

Test of the 2d panel and the light of the deck

https://youtu.be/E-fqJNpdF-Y

Very nice, better and better...

Quote Originally Posted by CIMOGT View Post
    Test of the 2d panel and the light of the deck

https://youtu.be/E-fqJNpdF-Y

How is your work going...?
    Really looking forward to see where you take her....

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    I agree with you completely.

In most vessels leakage around the stern gland is part of the shaft cooling system.there are not many dry glands.

I believe the Queen Elizabeth has a pneumatic gland shaft seal.

Cheers Chris
    PS As far as the medias knowledge of ships the most annoying thing to me is the use of their expression the HMS Whatever.

HMS stands for her majesty's ship so you cannot say "The her majesty's ship ----

Cheers Chris
    Chris, you might be referring to the old wood shaft bearings. They employed staves of a very hard wood called lignum vitae which supported the tail shaft between the propeller and the engine room. Sea water, as a lubricant, was allowed to flow past the gland into a bilge-well in the engine room, from where it was pumped overboard. Lignum vitae bearings were largely replaced by oil-filled white metal stern bearings in the 1970s and 80s. The seal at each end of the tail shaft was effected by sets of O-rings, with a small oil header tank in the engine room which maintained the oil pressure and so prevented the ingress of seawater. I was an engineer on a ship that had this conversion work done in dry-dock in Cardiff in 1976, and it was interesting to be involved in it.

Just lately, I see that a return to seawater lubricated bearings is contemplated, though it is unclear to me whether lignum vitae would once again be utilised. I'd like to see details of HMS Queen Elizabeth's arrangements.

And you're right...it's HMS, not the HMS :O)

Paul here is the type of gland I have been referring to.

https://coxengineering.sharepoint.co...ernglands.aspx

I was the manager of a well known yacht manufacturer and indeed have had many yachts and boats myself.Well being called Drake and born in Plymouth you would expect it.

Hope the link helps explain to all who are interested in stern glands.

Cheers Chris

PS The stern glands in the Queen Elizabeth are pneumatic.That is like an innertube made of very tough material and tightened onto the shaft by being pumped up with air

Thanks for the link Chris. I remember stuffing boxes on valves and shafts but not on stern tubes of that vintage. Maybe it was the diameter of the shafts of large ships, and the consequent impracticality of stuffing boxes... I don't know - its been 30 years. The packing was manufactured by a company called Beldams, covering everything from ice-cold seawater to superheated steam !

Plymouth, eh ? I was at the School of Maritime Studies on Portland Square for two years. The buildings are all still there, including the Planetarium. After that I was up on Tyneside for another year.

And of course, you make the very valid point - how can any rational human being NOT be interested in stern glands ?? ;O)

Panel Control

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    How is your work going...?
    Really looking forward to see where you take her....
    For the moment, leave on the panel the individual control of the runway, perimeter and island lights, in addition to the stationary aircraft option controls, controls for the individual elevator doors and the controls of each elevator and the traffic light animations

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hms.jpg   hms2.jpg   hms3.jpg   hms4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Paul here is the type of gland I have been referring to.

https://coxengineering.sharepoint.co...ernglands.aspx

I was the manager of a well known yacht manufacturer and indeed have had many yachts and boats myself.Well being called Drake and born in Plymouth you would expect it.

Hope the link helps explain to all who are interested in stern glands.

Cheers Chris

PS The stern glands in the Queen Elizabeth are pneumatic.That is like an innertube made of very tough material and tightened onto the shaft by being pumped up with air
    very interesting information, thanks for sharing

Members who have read this thread: 1