New members needed.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New members needed.....

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

New members needed.....

Things have gotten very quiet around here. Wish more visitors became members and participate more. I thought i was shy but love this site and being a member is great as i can learn so much more. I ask all you visitors to think of becoming a member. CFS3 is one of the best sim out there . This is a great place to learn and enjoy the company of like minded people. Join !!

Blog Entries
    If you like what you see why not become a member and post. Not only if you have trouble but if you can comment to threads. We need you.

Blog Entries
    Thank you to all members who contribute regularly. You make this site important and check it regularly because of you.

Do I hear preaching to the choir?

One of the things I started doing recently that might help is external promotion.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph.../7/screenshots

Nothing like showing people that CFS3 is not what it use to be to stir some renewed interest.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    You are so right. I bring it up on Facebook and the "other" flight sim sites i go to.Some don't even know what CFS3 is. I talk about it at the IL-2 sites and think i may have a small impact. Enjoy both sims and crossovers would be nice. CFS3 does things IL-2 can't and vice versa. There is room for all and this is a great place to be. Check in here at least once or twice a day. Just hate seeing such a low member count. Regards,Scott

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi sixstrings5859,

A lot of people don't seem to want to participate/interact on the forum. This could be for any of a lot of reasons, like not being confident, or having strong views about avoiding joining up to online forums.

I agree that is a pity - some of the CFS3 files are downloaded hundreds (any thousands?) of times, and when I see that I think about what a shame it is we don't get to hear from so many consumers of the CFS3 addons. Every now and then somebody new comes along who contributes some amazing things (think amazing new shaders, or funky new models-BorekS). That is not to forget, of course, that in 2017 we have seen some fabulous new models from the "old hands" who seem to keep raising the bar every time they offer us underserving masses some luverly new model to trash in the virtual skies.

@MajorMagee, what a great initiative. I am sure it helps to reach new people to show them what CFS3 has become.

SOH-CM-2020
    Just took a look at the downloads. The most downloaded aircraft is the FW190A4 for MAW (2010 upload by MajorMagee) - over 700 D/Ls! In the big scheme of things, that is not a lot. Wouldn't it be great to see several thousand downloads for an aircraft.....

The youtube videos I've put up seem to have generated some interest as well. If you have the nvidia software it's quite easy to do. I like Andy's idea too, his were hands down the best ones in the thread.

One major problem of CFS3 is that it's nowhere near a good game.

It has that terrific Flight Simulator engine underneath what looks like a action packed game and that's its downfall - it's a brilliant flight simulator but a nowhere near a good action packed game. During the years I've been astonished to see how the physics engine reacts to aircraft spec changes, if a flight model is accurate to begin with changing something on it produces a performance change exactly the same as what happened in real life when the same thing was done to a real aircraft. We're talking about top speeds within half a mile per hour here. I doubt there will be a combat flight sim with better physics than this in the near future, if ever.

But it's still a bad game. Simulators are nearly always bad games - no fast action, no colourful achievements, no bonus points for performing certain feats, you know the modern way of making action games. The modern incarnation is War Thunder that gives the impression of being a flight sim but in the end it's another arcade game posing as a simulator. But it's a far better product from the game point of view, unlocking new aircraft and upgrading them by getting points from good performance on missions, and you get into action in minutes after take off.

Now, we old simulator geeks (I consider myself as old here too) know that aircraft are unlocked when the factory gets a new model rolling off the production line and upgraded in the same way, not by shooting down five opponents in a row. Getting into action in minutes means that we're more or less screwed because the enemy is positioned right on the edge of our airfield and we had better get them now or we're dead. That's fine for us but it's not fine for the average gamer of today. The world has changed a lot from what it was 20 years ago in the heyday of the flight simulator. We might be in trouble here guys.

I agree wholeheartedly, except for the last bit. I think there's still a decent amount of folks out there who are interested in a good combat simulation. CFS3 just hasn't competed in the serious simulation genre, but I think it could. And as you say, CFS3 actually has quite good flight dynamics capabilities. A couple years back I bought Cliffs of Dover for $5, and a recent update talks about adding flight dynamics features that the MS series has had for over 20 years. Graphically, I think CFS3 is now comparable to what any of the latest sims are doing. In terms of technical accuracy, I think we have some work to do, but I now think we might be able to equal it or do better in some cases.

Hopefully CFS3 never becomes a good game, and I think it's on the verge of becoming a good simulator. I've had the interesting experience of having what I've learned working with CFS3 benefit my professional skill set and vice-versa, and that's likely to continue. So as far as I'm concerned I'm only getting started.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon25 Hello-

Greycap - just an aside before I wax poetically. Just finished watching Bordertown, I think it is called Sorjonen in Finland. What a neat TV series. Do you live near the area, Lappeenranta? The scenery is amazing as is the show - love the subtitles (for us American types) as it makes you give the show your full attention. One thing that stuck me was the vast and well developed major highway system yet is was depicted as being not crowded. Love to hear you take on that…. Told the wife that after seeing this I want to visit the area- one since it is intriguing and two only 20 or so miles from St. Petersburg, RU? Well I need to stop before I am accused of hijacking the thread

Back to the subject in the thread. CFS3, like all simulations (vs games) are intended to provide a way for the user to simulate the real world digitally (IMHO). Games are different and are not intended to do this. CFS3 does a reasonable job of simulating actual daylight flight but is limited by the code – that is it falls short on simulating all the facets of WW2 flight. As a daytime simulation is does a very reasonable job as radar, lighted instruments (we have this now), NDB, etc are really not needed. IL2 far exceeds CFS3 in many areas as far as simulating flight in the WW2 era, albeit the flight engine and airplane tables are debatable.

Unless we can (or are willing to) crack the code and open up the simulation to provide the same type of features as IL2 we will never attract new members for long, sadly. In reality this will never happen and folks like the WOFF types will continue to fiddle around with the engine and the ease of modifying it, but such limitations as damage to multi-engined planes, lack of timed air to air rockets (CFS2 has them…), and other features places us a novelty simulation. Folks like my self who enjoy making planes more than flying (since the simulation is so limiting) or folks who relish the comradery here at CFS3.

Time to work on the Sterling…..

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    Just took a look at the downloads. The most downloaded aircraft is the FW190A4 for MAW (2010 upload by MajorMagee) - over 700 D/Ls! In the big scheme of things, that is not a lot. Wouldn't it be great to see several thousand downloads for an aircraft.....

You are right, back in the day when I modeled for CFS2, my planes had 1-2k downloads. The first plane I did for CFS3 the HE 219 doesn't even come close to that and that was 7 years ago if not more.

Well, no promises just yet, but as of this morning some of the code allowing for more realistic features may have opened up. And yes, I'm being cryptic until I can speak with more certainty, but some very interesting experiments are in progress, and they've been successful as far as they've gone. Meanwhile, the autohotkey module I did for the Fw 190 gave us a slew of new features simulating new aircraft systems, so I wouldn't count out some things we used to think were impossible becoming possible.

Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. IL-2 has much to offer and i'm a big fan of IL-2 1946 with all the mods available for it.CFS3 is limited in what it has to offer but still a load of fun to play. CFS1 got me started in modding a sim. Those were the good ol'e days. Who knows what WOTR will bring to the table. Looking forward to it's release but still a lot can be done with CFS3 as we know it. New aircraft and graphics are most welcome. So few now do this so things have slowed down but there are a few dedicated souls to keep it going and i'm thankful for them. Always was a user and not builder and not ashamed.IL-2 '46 is really interesting now and could be called it's "golden era" now. So much is being done it is astounding along with a lot of activity with members. All is not dead here. There are just a lot of shy people visiting. Same as other sites so we are not alone. sas1946 is buzzing with activity because of all the work being done. Still enjoy CFS3 but IL-2'46 is right up there as my favorite sim. With the new shaders and aircraft still keep interest with CFS3. The new aircraft done are outstanding and can't wait for more to come our way. Long live CFS3 !! Regards,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by greycap.raf View Post
    One major problem of CFS3 is that it's nowhere near a good game.

It has that terrific Flight Simulator engine underneath what looks like a action packed game and that's its downfall - it's a brilliant flight simulator but a nowhere near a good action packed game. During the years I've been astonished to see how the physics engine reacts to aircraft spec changes, if a flight model is accurate to begin with changing something on it produces a performance change exactly the same as what happened in real life when the same thing was done to a real aircraft. We're talking about top speeds within half a mile per hour here. I doubt there will be a combat flight sim with better physics than this in the near future, if ever.

But it's still a bad game. Simulators are nearly always bad products - no fast action, no colourful achievements, no bonus points for performing certain feats, you know the modern way of making action games. The modern incarnation is War Thunder that gives the impression of being a flight sim but in the end it's another arcade game posing as a simulator. But it's a far better product from the game point of view, unlocking new aircraft and upgrading them by getting points from good performance on missions, and you get into action in minutes after take off.

Now, we old simulator geeks (I consider myself as old here too) know that aircraft are unlocked when the factory gets a new model rolling off the production line and upgraded in the same way, not by shooting down five opponents in a row. Getting into action in minutes means that we're more or less screwed because the enemy is positioned right on the edge of our airfield and we had better get them now or we're dead. That's fine for us but it's not fine for the average gamer of today. The world has changed a lot from what it was 20 years ago in the heyday of the flight simulator. We might be in trouble here guys.
    well said. People just don't get us old simulator dorks .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Do I hear preaching to the choir?

One of the things I started doing recently that might help is external promotion.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph.../7/screenshots

Nothing like showing people that CFS3 is not what it use to be to stir some renewed interest.

Wow major... pics like that are almost as good as il2 cliffs of dover looks like...regarding Scott anguish i´m afraid il2 in its various incarnations almost killed CFS 3 . Flight models are spectacular, and there are tons of maps, historical skins, several mods and campaigns...

Perhaps WOTR release might renew some interest in this game. With ETO and Ankors shaders it looks unrecognizable from the original game.

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Well, no promises just yet, but as of this morning some of the code allowing for more realistic features may have opened up. And yes, I'm being cryptic until I can speak with more certainty, but some very interesting experiments are in progress, and they've been successful as far as they've gone. Meanwhile, the autohotkey module I did for the Fw 190 gave us a slew of new features simulating new aircraft systems, so I wouldn't count out some things we used to think were impossible becoming possible.
    Proper height carriers?

Blog Entries
    That's a big one !

Probably not, but who knows what will come of it, too early to say.

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    You are right, back in the day when I modeled for CFS2, my planes had 1-2k downloads. The first plane I did for CFS3 the HE 219 doesn't even come close to that and that was 7 years ago if not more.
    Well i must stress that she ´s one of the best planes available for any flight sim, and i played dozens of night missions flying her.
    Awesome job.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    Hi sixstrings5859,
    A lot of people don't seem to want to participate/interact on the forum.
    yeah... well, I personally monitoring this forum weekly, sometimes even daily, still there is not much of "cup of my tea" / things to comment - to be logged-in. I think you all know my warplane objectives are early jets and various luft46 aircrats

I would gladly continue to build-up aircrafts for CFS3, but having the simracing car add-on development as the primary target now, with a relatively wide fan mass. also having experience to build the cars for various games without any other help, just with my simrace physics and sound related single coworker. that I cant say about CFS3 stuff production unfortunatelly... so there currently is no hook for me to become active airplane add-on developer again.

Blog Entries
    That's sad to hear BorekS. Love your aircraft and it is a great loss to all of us. Maybe in the future you will have interest again in making more of your wonderful aircraft. Such a sad loss that words fail me. Regards,Scott ps. I think your Me-163 to be one of the best aircraft to come down the pike in a long time. You will be greatly missed.

I tend to agree with Ted, Dan, and the Major. I've been with CFS3 and SOH since before 2003 and while real life and other sims often distract me, in the end I come back to CFS3. I hardly ever actually "play" the sim, but I buy and read endless books on WWII related to CFS3 possibilities and mess around with various aspects from time to time. Mostly this is an engrossing 'hobby' in which those who feel likewise, aren't in the end concerned if there are 10 or a 1000 followers outside the core who feel similarly. My hat goes off to the F190, Spitfire developers; the Major and Ankor; and who else but Ted Nachpiloten and all his great TOW aircraft and German air defense additions. Clive has also done great stuff with BoB and we have a whizz doing German tanks and other vehicles.
    If I look back at ALL my downloads there have been so many great contributors to the game from people like Mathias, O1, Rob (still!), Bob, and many others if I look at all my email contacts! All current developers or players owe a lot to them.

Now Mark Andrews and the WOFF/WOTR team have done remarkable work and I have no objections to paying for their work; although it would have been nicer if they had stayed with the CFS3 community; but they also want absolute control. Here, while respecting and acknowledging people's work, we are more open and freer to modify/add to other's stuff.

I really hope Dan et al can crack more of the code to make this better for real simmers; gamers can stick to their arcade stuff!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Yes, this is primarily how I spend my hobby time. For example, I've spent significant hours over the last two months hex editing the m3d files for the couple of thousand aircraft I have installed in my ETO, BoB, PTO, MAW, Korea, and Jets Only installs just to add glass reflections and refine the look of specular effects on painted surfaces.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0