Fsx - potential realised

Thread: Fsx - potential realised

Fsx - potential realised

First lets get some prejudices out front. I only now use FSX-A on a WIN764 system but I have tried I think every previous iteration of the MS Sim program and before and even recently Googles foray into simulation via Google Earth. I have tried a couple of others but I also have been around computer systems long enough to manage non MS operating systems such as Linux and Unix but alas they have never had anyone build a good sim for those platforms.

Over the past 12 months my system or FSX configuration has remained unaltered and is basically near enough to what MS though out of the box it should be on setup (That is actually a smart tool of MS's built into the setup program that everyone ignores but is basically spot on). My major PC limitation is video card or GPU capacity and 32 bit processing. That said FSX runs smoothly, I have no CTD's, good inter connectivity to Internet addons such as WX and can run other programs (a few) simultaneously at the same time if I so choose and do (I will watch a video or listen to some music on a long overwater flight).

Two things have really made FSX standup and amaze me - the first is the arrival of high quality FSX only flight models or addons. Some are just masterpieces, freeware and paywar. The second is the build up of high quality texture collections for skies, land and oceans with accurate coastline and elevation rendition. Add in quality addons such as trees etc to properly config environments and you have a scenic experience at most normal fight altitudes as close to the real thing as is possible. So the simulated flight environment is now to my mind stunning. I can go anywhere in the world and fly about the area and look at geographic features that once were bland or non existent in sim programs. I can do this in simulated replication of a variety of aeroplanes covering effectively the history of flight from the beginnings to the present. A well made VC and care and attention to the flight model or dynamics files does wonders for this experience - what is on the dials is what you would get out of the real aeroplane, the numbers are right.

I would say that FSX has reached its potential and it is frankly very very good, it can only be bettered when a program comes up that allows you to overlay a 5Star FSX flight model on google earth and you do it via 3D/AI Goggles. That will be something but you are going to need a heap of graphics grunt to do that, not on my box. Yes as a program it can get a little clunky now and then but then it is after all MS, you get your lumps with your sugar.

So agree or disagree matters not, I think FSX can achieve the level it was capable of and it is frankly an amazing experience. One day it will stop working then I will think of a replacement.

Blog Entries
    I've also have that wonderful experience but it started a long time ago when I used Nick C's Bible of FSX along with a really well built system. I now use FSX Steam edition because it is compiled a little better and so far I 've had no problems even using Win10. Orbx just made my world SING when I installed it years ago and I have enjoyed every minute. Right now, I have no choice but to look at other flightsim programs because of the Young Eagles club. I have to build systems that will fly them without system bumps in the road. They use P3D, FSW, and X-Plane 10 and 11. It never was because I was dissatisfied with FSX.
    With all the great addons it has become a legend in flight-simming for me. Thanks for sharing that Amigo!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Just recently I came to the same conclusion, but based on a slightly different experience:
    After watching FSX grow since itīs release and having put - I must not think of it, nor let the wife know the exact amount - loads of money in Hardware and software into it it got pretty much perfect for what can be achieved within itīs age and limitations. With now running it with Steveīs DX10 Fixer and all the adons and tweaks it looks and feels just right.

But still, after MS pulling the plug on it, seing "everybody" (well almost) wandering to Prepar3D - which is a no go for me personally - and seing the addon market slowly move over too, I felt the urge to move too. More so with the newly opened horizon of 64 bit sims. So I tried Xplane 11 and I am truely impressed and even FSW looks and feels great and keeps growing. I even intended to even stop investing on addons for FSX. BUT just then I realised I kept - even more - returning to my FSX install. Maybe, because it all feels so familiar, mabye, cause itīs so full of aircraft (the lack of which is one of the biggest let downs on the new sims still) or maybe cause I can just relax after ten years of tweaking (spent more time on it then on flying I suppose) and enjoy flying my favourite birds in my favourite spots and all looks and feels great. In contrast e.g. to the surely stunning detailed but somehow clinic techy look of Xplane.

Finally I can say I will keep FSX as long as I like and keep enjoying it as a kind of almost perfect "relaxation area". Meanwhile I will watch the new flightsims grow and maybe one day - perhaps with a new system if necessary - I will leave it for good. But time will tell.

Regards
    Alex
    Dont grow up! ... Itīs a trap!

I also have X-Plane 11 but find it a bit disappointing. Yes, the default graphics and default flight model are better than default FSX but they are not nearly as good as my heavily modified installation. It may have taken a lot of time and money to get FSX to where it is now for me, but there's nothing out there which currently offers the sort of stand-out features that would make me want to change. I also have FSW which, although still at a very early stage of development, seems to have a lot of potential as long as DTG continue to update it at the rate they have been doing so far.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I have all four sims.
    FSXSE - still use it for flights in aircraft not ported to P3D V4. Still a great sim
    P3D V4 - better performance and graphics. No ctd’s. The way forward and my go to sim.
    XP-11 Nice graphics and flight models. Most addons cheaper than FSX/P3D. Some very nice freeware available. Key assignments the pits although you can reconfigure but not easily.
    FSW - Nice interface and graphics. Great scenery, outstanding aircraft. Needs more addons but now will be more programmable. Get it at a great price, enjoy it for what it is now and in the future. They seem to be doing rapid updates.

Bob

FSX finally realized its potential after hardware finally caught up with it, after Dovetail published the Steam Edition and after Steve fixed the DirectX 10 mode.

Anybody who says otherwise will have to spend a month with FSX RTM on 2006-ish hardware.

Members who have read this thread: 0