AH Avro Lancaster for FSX/P3D (preview)
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: AH Avro Lancaster for FSX/P3D (preview)

AH Avro Lancaster for FSX/P3D (preview)

They drive me crazy again!

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Are we going to have a Lancastrian?

I got very happy when I saw that, its been a while since we had a good Lancaster!
    But then I got sad when I saw it was for FSX and P3DV3
    But then I got happy when I saw the '+' after V3.

Still a few AH aircraft in the pipeline before it but looking forward nonetheless.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    I got very happy when I saw that, its been a while since we had a good Lancaster!
    But then I got sad when I saw it was for FSX and P3DV3
    But then I got happy when I saw the '+' after V3.

Still a few AH aircraft in the pipeline before it but looking forward nonetheless.
    I suppose this „ + „ means v3 and more so v4 also (l hope!).
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Yes, the Lancaster will be for all versions of P3D including V4.

Quote Originally Posted by simondix View Post
    Are we going to have a Lancastrian?
    That might be a bridge too far.
    You could always ask on the developers site.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

For a 2-man outfit you’re impressively productive, Baz.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks Tom, life certainly isn't boring, I can tell you that much.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I have had the original AH Lancaster since it was first released many moons ago but unfortunately since upgrading to V4 I have had to retire it and confine it to a back corner of the hangar. Looking forward to this new one. Can feel the CC starting to hum with excitement and to warm up now.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

If as good as the AH Mosquito, it will be spectacular. The real challenge to AH will be a worthy sound set.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

I already have the FCS Lancaster, which is pretty good. I think this is going to blow it away! The glass on the screen shots looks superb as does the inside of the flaps! Just wondering, would it be possible to use a 3-D printer to make a Lancaster model using the same model you've created for FSX? Looking at the naked model, it was something that just popped in my head. Could GMax (or whatever you're using) also be used in that capacity?

They’re not using Gmax, you can be sure of that. With a big enough printer a full-size Lanc could be built, but would you dare to fly it? Lol...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    I already have the FCS Lancaster, which is pretty good. I think this is going to blow it away! The glass on the screen shots looks superb as does the inside of the flaps! Just wondering, would it be possible to use a 3-D printer to make a Lancaster model using the same model you've created for FSX? Looking at the naked model, it was something that just popped in my head. Could GMax (or whatever you're using) also be used in that capacity?
    They're renders from modo and aren't in simulator. We get sim shots after a livery is done which is started. We'll try to get it as close as that but you cant really do IOR as well as a render can.

I too have been looking at naked models.

Using the same model - I think it could be done but with some time expensive modifications. Intersecting parts required for game use need to be nipped up and volumes are another thing. Plus how much detail gets cut how much can stay. and some of that would be down to the fidelity of the printer used.

Modo has a kit ( called plugins in 3dsmax/gmax ) that can set a 3d part up with all the plugs ( think locator pins on a plastic model ). You type in the eventual size you want and the medium you're printing in and the kit does a pretty good job of automagically slicing and dicing it up and exporting it in a printer readable format. Then you could go to a 3d printer near you - https://www.3dhubs.com/ is an uber type thing but for privately owned 3d printers - and get it printed. Cant comment on gmax/3dsmax.

So yes we've been looking and researching into this area. I happen to think VR dedicated cockpits might have a larger market though.

https://3dlabprint.com

I got a 3d printer from my kid for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and I'm a bit stunned by all it can do. I'm barely beginning but I've printed buildings and bridges for my model railroad. I think the .stl files for the R/C P-38 are 40 bucks, probably another 30 for the plastic.
    3dlabprint.com is worth a look for some in air video. Having grown up with balsa models, this is impressive. I don't know if Gmax can export to 3D slicer software, but Sketchup for example can.

And drifting slowly back on topic, my uncle was a draftsman on the Lancaster B.X model (Canada version). So I'm very much looking forward to this release.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3d spit.jpg   3d P-38.jpg  
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
    (Clarke and Clark)

How in hell are you guys turning out so
    many great Aircraft in a fairly short time .???

By any chance did you steal Harry Potter's Wand. ?

If this is anything like the quality of what you have
    created before, it will be great.

Anthin.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    They drive me crazy again!

Beautiful model indeed Baz! I never had much interest in her till I started playing a game called Bomber Crew by Runner Duck Games on Steam and Green Man Gaming.

Here's a video by Phly Daily https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...92&FORM=VRDGAR

Its a full crew simulation and though not 100% historically accurate, a blast to fly and crew successfully. Anyway, made me appreciate the British side of heavy bombers. Looking forward to to this release as well, especially in v4.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Well, Hairyspray, even without a 3D printer, there will be another Lancaster flying one of these days. After years of doing only taxi runs Just Jane is being brought up to airworthy standards. So the world will have THREE flying Lancs! Maybe the Canadians will take theirs back across the pond again for a three ship formation! All sorts of rare warbirds coming on the scene! The Berlin Airlift Museum flew their C-97 in November, there is a Sea Hornet in New Zealand that is going to be a flyer, MAAM is slowly but steadily getting the P-61 ready and the XP-82 and a production P-82 are both nearing completion and 2018 may be the year that the AALO gets Lightning XS422 in the air. (I will be going to Mississippi for the first flight whenever it is.) Exciting times!! I also just found out that there's going to be a Meteor at EAA this year so this will be the first time I've ever seen one in the flesh and the best thing is it's not some static museum piece!

While researching for a project a few years back, I had the privilege of crawling all over G for George at the Australian War Memorial Museum in Canberra. How those crews did it, at night and under fire amazes me. Clambering over the main spar to get from the aft entry forward was bad enough but I gave up trying to get into the mid upper and front turrets. My guide simply said "it helps if you're small, 19 years old and totally without fear". Regrettably I am none of those things. Extraordinary people, all of them.

Sitting in the pilot seat with my hands on the yoke is an experience I will never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthin View Post
    How in hell are you guys turning out so
    many great Aircraft in a fairly short time .???

By any chance did you steal Harry Potter's Wand. ?

If this is anything like the quality of what you have
    created before, it will be great.

Anthin.
    Thanks for the kind words Anthin. No magic wand, just good quality software and plugins and an enthusiasm for what we do.After 15 years at this game, I guess one also picks up a few things along the way. I used to be a creative director in international ad agencies but now, after re-training, I just do this. I've got to tell you, I wish I had made the switch a LONG time ago. Far less stressful!

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    While researching for a project a few years back, I had the privilege of crawling all over G for George at the Australian War Memorial Museum in Canberra. How those crews did it, at night and under fire amazes me. Clambering over the main spar to get from the aft entry forward was bad enough but I gave up trying to get into the mid upper and front turrets. My guide simply said "it helps if you're small, 19 years old and totally without fear". Regrettably I am none of those things. Extraordinary people, all of them.
    Sitting in the pilot seat with my hands on the yoke is an experience I will never forget.
    G for George is also a very lucky aeroplane. At least three different crews, all finished their tours, so she brought everyone home safely. Not many existing aircraft in collections around the world have that record or special place in history.

I look forward to this project completing. I had the earlier AH version but it was unhappy in FSX. My go to is the Plane Design Lancaster at the moment. Will this have Canadian instrumentation or English? Anyhow keep on it.

I don't know what it comes as now, or the price, come to that, but when the Airfix Lancaster was first released for 7/6 it was in the markings of G for George.

Thanks for all the work Bazzar.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Airfix Lancasters are always popular. I collect unbuilt classic kits and every time I have one for sale, it goes in no time. The original 1/72 in black plastics is the best one to get/ have in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    Well, Hairyspray, even without a 3D printer, there will be another Lancaster flying one of these days. After years of doing only taxi runs Just Jane is being brought up to airworthy standards. So the world will have THREE flying Lancs! Maybe the Canadians will take theirs back across the pond again for a three ship formation!...
    I really don’t think that’s going to happen, sadly, because the Canadian Lanc is running out of hours on the airframe and the engines. I was fortunate to see her and the BBMF Lanc last time, flying over my home town. As for the Hornet, I’m doing my best to preserve me eye teeth for the occasion!
    Tom

A new Lancaster - this is good news indeed. Any chance of a radial engine Mk II?

We have only the B Mk1 planned at this stage. We did do the MkII along with the other "specials" last time but this project is very different and far more complex in detail so the workload is quite large, for one variant.

Members who have read this thread: 5