AH Avro Lancaster for FSX/P3D (preview) - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AH Avro Lancaster for FSX/P3D (preview)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Lovely video...but when you have four Merlins before you why on earth would someone hide the sound with music?
    We usually don't realize but we pixel pilots are pretty spoiled when it comes to that. The producer of that wonderful video went with music because if there's any sound that can never be recorded it's the sound of a flying aircraft that is being filmed in 'spotview', like is about 90% the case with this particular video. It's not like you can just fly along with the camera plane and hold a microphone out of the window...

What they could've done is go the extra mile and create such a sound themselves with aid of recordings of the engines sound while the aircraft is parked. Preferably during an engine checkup. That's what we do overhere, already for years. Could very well be though that nobody involved in the development of this excellent video ever realized that there's a whole virtual flying world outthere...

Btw, fantastic sound suite for your Lancaster, Bazz ! Wonderful work on the external and internal models as well !

What about cockpit lighting ? Still to be implemented ? ( did the RAF use UV lighting during WWII ?...)

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    We usually don't realize but we pixel pilots are pretty spoiled when it comes to that. The producer of that wonderful video went with music because if there's any sound that can never be recorded it's the sound of a flying aircraft that is being filmed in 'spotview', like is about 90% the case with this particular video. It's not like you can just fly along with the camera plane and hold a microphone out of the window...

What they could've done is go the extra mile and create such a sound themselves with aid of recordings of the engines sound while the aircraft is parked. Preferably during an engine checkup. That's what we do overhere, already for years. Could very well be though that nobody involved in the development of this excellent video ever realized that there's a whole virtual flying world outthere... Jan
    That was my guess too. Coincidentally, there is also a nice video of the same a/c doing startup and low passes for the specific purposes of sound recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDIVMJeCyMI

Those gunners need a serious head banging re rotating the turrets during takeoff and landing!
    Very impressive work mate!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Those gunners need a serious head banging re rotating the turrets during takeoff and landing!
    On some squadrons it was standard practice for the rear turret to be turned abeam for takeoff and landing to allow the gunner quicker egress (??) in an emergency. Not rotating them side to side though !

What they could've done is go the extra mile and create such a sound themselves with aid of recordings of the engines sound while the aircraft is parked. Preferably during an engine checkup. That's what we do overhere, already for years. Could very well be though that nobody involved in the development of this excellent video ever realized that there's a whole virtual flying world outthere...

Btw, fantastic sound suite for your Lancaster, Bazz ! Wonderful work on the external and internal models as well !

What about cockpit lighting ? Still to be implemented ? ( did the RAF use UV lighting during WWII ?...)

Cheers,
    Jan
    Lighting is to be completed, along with a few other details. Yes, UV torches were used to illuminate panels and luminescent paint on gauge dials. Obviously, we are still finalising turret aniimation routines! Still, I hope you get the picture.

It looks and sounds great Bazzar, can't wait!

Grrrreat sound and a great looking aircraft!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Lighting is to be completed, along with a few other details. Yes, UV torches were used to illuminate panels and luminescent paint on gauge dials. Obviously, we are still finalising turret aniimation routines! Still, I hope you get the picture.
    Good news, Bazz, thanks! Yes, i have the picture, now waiting on the real deal !

Yoke removal and animated turrets are on the menu.
    DickB and others there is additional footage of this flight around on the YouTube taken from inside the cockpit (It was pretty noisy in these birds). I noted that they were obviously doing a training run of sorts, handling at different speeds, flaps out/in, approach configuration etc and I think it was in the last section you can see the demonstration and testing (?) with a simulated engine failure (No 1 engine) not to feather but pulled the power back to idle, the yaw is a giveaway and the subsequent slightly wing high flight (raise the dead engine side) all the way through to the final landing. Great find.

Good news, Bazz, thanks! Yes, i have the picture, now waiting on the real deal !
    I sincerely hope that G for George will be a livery for this one. The only surviving Lancaster that did over 3 complete tours with Bomber Command in WW2. which means it has the distinction of having brought back safe and sound every crew who flew her. Peter Isaacson who went on to found a number of Australian Flying magazines was her captain for the second tour.

Couldn't possibly do the Lancaster without George. In fact a large amount of our reference material is from a visit to AWM where I was allowed to crawl all over the aeroplane when it was being prepared for the new display. For such a large aircraft I was amazed at how cramped it was inside.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    DickB and others there is additional footage of this flight around on the YouTube taken from inside the cockpit (It was pretty noisy in these birds). I noted that they were obviously doing a training run of sorts, handling at different speeds, flaps out/in, approach configuration etc and I think it was in the last section you can see the demonstration and testing (?) with a simulated engine failure (No 1 engine) not to feather but pulled the power back to idle, the yaw is a giveaway and the subsequent slightly wing high flight (raise the dead engine side) all the way through to the final landing. Great find.
    I was lucky enough to get a flight in VRA a few years back in Canada. Experience of a lifetime. And you're right - pretty much impossible to hold a conversation without intercom. They actually offer ear defenders, but what Lanc fan is going to wear those ? Standing in the FE position with four Merlins thundering away feet from you certainly leaves an impression !

As my dad was an 'erk' on Lancs, the folks at CWH also let me join the ground crew to fuel and prep the aircraft for flight etc. That was a bit special.

Couldn't possibly do the Lancaster without George. In fact a large amount of our reference material is from a visit to AWM where I was allowed to crawl all over the aeroplane when it was being prepared for the new display. For such a large aircraft I was amazed at how cramped it was inside.
    Is George still pretty much original ? I've had the privilege of exploring the inside of most of the Lancs in the UK, including the BBMF City of Lincoln. With the exception of NX611 (Just Jane) they mostly retain all their original equipment and fittings, but sadly are rarely open to the public.

Great news Bazzar. As far as I am aware George is pretty well much the way she was when handed over to Australia at the end of the war. How you kept the presence of mind to find a parachute, clip it on and get out of that aeroplane at night as it fell apart or burned I have no idea.

Lucky bugger Dick a rare privilege indeed to get a ride in the Lanc.

As a young bloke I had a chap called Don Charlwood as a lecturer at the Civil Aviation College in Melbourne, he was a navigator on Lancs (No Moon Tonight is his book), never talked about it though. My most memorable experience was doing an annual check ride with an unassuming old bloke in the in the 1980's, a thoroughly professional and competent flyer, very impressive, when I had to sign off his log book, he handed over a few, one was a blue covered log book with RAAF on it, turns out he was a Lanc pilot in WW2. Later on he let me borrow and fly his Baron BE58 which was also a privilege he normally never lent it out to anyone. Alas they are all gone now. So I think this AH Lancaster is going to be special. Looking forward to it immensely.

There are quite a few dedicated Lanc sim drivers here at SOH so your going to have a picky lot to contend with. I am at about the 400 hour mark in sim time on the PD version.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Actually G for George and Q Queenie came to Australia before the end of the war and took part in War Bond Flights during 1944. Q Queenie was damaged in an accident I believe and was scrapped and George went to the AWM.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Yep when they came to Aus the RAF markings where painted over and the aircraft was given the standard RAAF serial A66-XXX

it was only later on they where re painted back as the ETO schemes

I have the FCS plane but after seeing this baby, put me down for one!!!

At the Smithsonian AASM in DC they had the nose section of a Marauder on display, yes very tight. Even crawling around in a marginally bigger B-17 I was amazed at how tight it was.

But as I used to explain to passengers trying to fold themselves to a Beaver or 185 for a glacier tour, they were designed for people born in 1925. People were smaller then on average. Certainly fewer "fleshy fliers" in the WWII military, particularly in the British isles.

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    At the Smithsonian AASM in DC they had the nose section of a Marauder on display.
    Now undergoing a full restoration.

Sorry for the O/T, but since she's local to me, I've been keeping a close eye on her.

Can't claim any strong connection to Lancasters, but there's always a first time, right?

Standing by...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

We've now added the support equipment. Here are a few renders and in-game pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SupportF.jpg   SupportE.jpg   SupportD.jpg   SupportC.jpg   SupportB.jpg   SupportA.jpg  

We've now added the support equipment. Here are a few renders and in-game pics.
    What a great touch to the product. Impressed.

Didn't quite escape.
    I'll get shot if I point out the number of faults with the fuel tanker, won't I?

(Edited to add: I e-mailed Baz directly rather than posting it here, but the simple answer is "paint the truck in camo, rather than a 1950s paint scheme and you'll be fine!" )

Ian P.
    Last edited by IanP; April 9th, 2018 at 02:03.

Excellent. The bomb trolley looks a little large in some pix, but that may just be the angle.

All you need now is a couple of scaffold towers for the engine fitters and an erk's bike !

We have now added a wartime paint scheme for the tanker. The bombs are the same used in the Lancaster model and the trolley built to scale plans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SupportJ.jpg   SupportH.jpg   SupportG.jpg  

Incredible work Barry.....

You're a pain in my wallet

Matt

Members who have read this thread: 4