AH Avro Lancaster for FSX/P3D (preview) - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: AH Avro Lancaster for FSX/P3D (preview)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    'Bombardier'????????

Really Baz, 'Bomb Aimer' please, no 'Bombardiers' in the Royal Air Force.
    Looking forward as usual to another classic AH masterpiece.
    Sorry mate,

Not everybody speaks Australian slang.....

Try to say "Bombardier" with a stiff upper lip and you will realise that it all make sense

Good'day

The only book on Lancaster ops I ever read was "Tuesday's War", which was fictionalized.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    3D visibility switching requires twice the amount of geometry. On and off states both require geometry and mouse rectangles. The VC10 had close to 700 individual animations which we had to cull before it would run. The Lanc will certainly be close to that figure.
    Well, it's the only way out if you don't want to bust that limit.

Weren't the DC-8s modeled by AH as well? I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the drawcall figure in ModelConverter.

Well let's just say people work differently Bjoern, it's what makes the world go around.

Sorry matey but in official RAF training films they refer to the bomb aimer as a bombardier.I believe the term goes back as far as Waterloo and all that.
    We did have (or do have) a 'Bombardier' classification in the Green Machine IIRC, but that was technically just another 'Grenadier'..........
    The ones at Waterloo were definitely members of the PBI who were required to throw 'Bombs', them round black ones with a match fuse as seen all the time in the vicinity of 'Wiley Coyote' in the 'Road Runner'.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Will H2S be present? Or bulged bomb bay doors?

Well let's just say people work differently Bjoern, it's what makes the world go around.
    I figure the contract has a bit to do with this as well, but fair enough. (Although a wish that efficiency featured a more prominent role in such endeavors.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    The only book on Lancaster ops I ever read was "Tuesday's War", which was fictionalized.
    A recent read, with no fiction about it, was The Other Battlle by Peter Hinchliffe: highly recommended account of the Nachtjagd versus Bomber Command. The author was a navigator during ‘44 and ‘45 and draws from firsthand accounts from both sides.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    for those that want to get an idea what it was to be a Lancaster pilot, I heartily recommend a comic by Belgian artist Marvano called the Seven Dwarfs

outstanding story explaining the horrors of these flights, and it's available in English on amazon.
    Ordered.

And still grateful that you introduced me to Yann and Hugault (currently navigating through Angel Wings in my imperfect French)...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Didn't quite escape.
    Bombardiers in the UK are Corporal-equivalent in the [s]Royal Dropshorts[/s], er, Royal Artillery. A Lance Bombardier is a Lance Corporal equivalent. Always to be bellowed at maximum volume, because by the time they get promoted that far, they're already deaf...

(And yes, the entire Army has equivalent wisecracks for my old Corps, too!)

Baz - usual question - I'll drop you an e-mail.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Thanks for the H/U, Tom. Nachtjagd is one of the few subjects I still need a good book on. Primarily interesting because the Luftwaffe could still hold its own long (minus fuel) long after Big Week wrecked the daylight squadrons.

Quite spectacular indeed! The Merlin sound should be spectacular, also love the radial's sounds. Here not unusual to still have DC6's rumble over the house, not so high. Always run outside to see!

How interesting it would be to have a JU88 with operable Radar!

As to the Jumo 004, even with modern materials not sure I would want to trust a valuable airplane to such a primitive setup. One of the major hitches was the lack of a fuel control unit, easy enough by inept handling to exceed into the the too lean too rich zones and have a flameout as the engine accelerated or decelerated. The plane was OK when going like clackers but oh so vulnerable low and slow.

Great project!

Update exterior nearly complete

We now have a flying exterior will 90% of the detail done. Full complement of crew and fully detailed turrets
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lanc13.jpg   Lanc6.jpg   Lanc2.jpg   Lanc1.jpg  

Some more pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lanc7.jpg   Lanc5.jpg   Lanc8.jpg   Lanc4.jpg  

I'm mildly blown away here ! .. looking great .

This looks really great and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

However, I'm also still waiting for other AH/JF releases such as the Dunkirk Spit, P-47, and Javelin. Any idea as to when we might see these, Baz??
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Spitfire is very close. Just finalising the last of the beta testing. P47 is mid beta test. Javelin has been on the back burner for a while but is scheduled for some time this year.

Beautiful work Bazz , but I'm afraid 4 engines it too complex for me . The Spit is a certain buy.

Cheers,
    Huub

Looks fantastic Bazz!

Absolutely stunning! WOW
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

I still believe you stole Harry Potter's
    wand.

That exterior is just brilliant.

Anthin.

Damn, the secret is out...

How's Canberra? It's a tad warm up here today....

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Beautiful work Bazz , but I'm afraid 4 engines it too complex for me . The Spit is a certain buy.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Just bolt 4 Spits together Huub, you'll soon get the hang of it.

How's Canberra? It's a tad warm up here today....
    Of course it is, the hot air generated by Parliament has returned!
    Lanc looks great Baz, I flew the wings off the FS9 one, be nice to have this one in P3D4.
    Maritime Reconnaissance version included he says hopefully?
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Lancaster fact: Captain Eric Brown RN tested powered controls fitted experimentally to a Mk. I Lancaster. He says that had those controls been fitted to a Hercules-powered Mk. II ( his favourite mark of Lanc ) then, quote " One would have been having the best of both worlds, an aeroplane without peer in its class." So there you go - Britain's greatest pilot preferred the Mk.II.

However, nothing will detract from the fact that the Mk1 basically remained unchanged for the entire life of the marque except for a few additions and upgrades. A testament to the quality of the design. It is interesting how a design can go from the less than excellent Manchester to this. Of course a strong factor in all of it is the Rolls Royce Merlin engine. Now where would we have been without that piece of magic.

Members who have read this thread: 6