Loring AFB Scenery

Thread: Loring AFB Scenery

Loring AFB Scenery

I have few or no buildings using John Stinstrom's FS9 scenery and the MAIW AI B-36 package (for FSX). John Young over at the MAIW boards confirmed that he had the same results (and for the MAIW AI B-47 McDill AFB too). I suspect it is because so many building bgl's were not compiled in FSX.

Has anyone tried the payware Team SDB Loring in v4? All the payware sites show it compatible with earlier P3D versions, so I am doubtful buying this will be a good idea.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I asked this a while back and told no. It’s really to bad because I really enjoy their sceneries. I wish they had plans to go with 4.1,

The Team SDB Loring isn't compatible with P3Dv4. I just installed it and there are some taxiway and hard standing display issues in the quick reaction parking area.
    Those could probably be corrected with a recompile. But the aircraft have issues as well. I just watched a B-52 taxi out with no gear, wings, or radome.
    A solution going forward might be you use statics throughout and provide a traffic file for a suggested third party Ai so there are a couple aircraft moving about.
    I'm the one who uses P3D so I have to convince the rest of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    I'm the one who uses P3D so I have to convince the rest of the team.
    LOL, a rebel with a cause. It's too bad they have not converted yet, as I have a few of their scenery's and would love to add them to P3Dv4 or even buy them again for v4.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

I just installed it and there are some taxiway and hard standing display issues in the quick reaction parking area.
    Those could probably be corrected with a recompile. But the aircraft have issues as well.
    Frank, thanks for the confirmation and steer. Hoping you succeed in persuading your peers for an upgrade. P3DV4 is the future.

Probably the number one annoying thing about v4 for me is the fact so many freeware FSX airports and military airbases work poorly or not at all. I have not figured out how to recompile library objects in MCX - high on the list are those two unique huge hangars up at Loring! Am using some stock MAIW buildings as stand ins for now.

Lack of compatible AI military aircraft maybe ranks second in annoyances, but that situation is improving with others converting a/c to native FSX that can be used as AI.

Wish someone would convert Michael Pearson's early B-52's and Delta Daggers!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Blog Entries
    I saw Loring, AFB being promoted on FlightSim.com the other day. I thought about buying it, but I saw it was not listed for use in PD3. I made a comment as such in the comment section. However, I noticed the comment was gone a day or two later. All I said was that it was a shame it wasn't PD3 V4 compatible. I was going to purchase it until I noticed it wasn't PD3 V4 ready.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Yes, had the same reaction - it is ambiguous when they show older versions of P3D but leaves you a bit uncertain as to whether it still might/might not work fine in v4. The better sites will say "NOT for P3Dv4."

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Yes, had the same reaction - it is ambiguous when they show older versions of P3D but leaves you a bit uncertain as to whether it still might/might not work fine in v4. The better sites will say "NOT for P3Dv4."
    I too fell into that dillemma when I got v4 up and running and wanted to maximize what I had before and bought some new toys too, like REXs Airport textures, installed and then read the fine print that v4 is not supported yet.

Matt

Well, for what it's worth if we don't specifically say P3Dv4 at Team SDB it isn't.

I have few or no buildings using John Stinstrom's FS9 scenery and the MAIW AI B-36 package (for FSX). John Young over at the MAIW boards confirmed that he had the same results (and for the MAIW AI B-47 McDill AFB too). I suspect it is because so many building bgl's were not compiled in FSX.

Has anyone tried the payware Team SDB Loring in v4? All the payware sites show it compatible with earlier P3D versions, so I am doubtful buying this will be a good idea.
    Bill (WND) and I did a version of Loring a few years ago and as part of it, I did several very large hangars that I believe match the size of those that show in Google Earth. I also did a very basic Terminal/tower complex also.

Here is a link to the object bgl's and the corresponding textures (this should work in P3D_V4.1)
    https://app.box.com/s/1euvfmk3yta7w37rv0i33s4ql2dahzju

Use them as you see fit and if you happen to use Sketchup, I can send you the "skp" files to play with as well, just let me know.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Just an observation, at least some of the concerns with scenery not working (objects not visible and such) can be rectified with Arno's great ModelConverterX program (with limitations). One limitation would be that the scenery requires a dll file in order to display certain objects or control portions of the scenery. As we know, if it's a 32bit dll, it will not work. Another limitation when converting scenery objects (for me at least) is if there are animations attached to those objects (opening hangar doors for instance), that requires some extra steps to ensure they still work and I've never quite grasped that concept.

All of my scenery was compiled with the FSX SDK and I have every one of them installed in P3D_V4.1 and every one displays correctly. It's possible that I might pick up some extra framerates if I compiled a version using the 4.1 SDK, but when I'm already getting 35+fps in sceneries that have upwards of 100 different custom objects not including grass. . .why would I? So, if you don't intend to release a scenery package that you re-compile (like MAIW) then learning the basics of MCX is a good way to get some of those sceneries to be usable again. If you want to make it available to others, that's a different story and it would be something that would obviously have to get the approval of those folks at MAIW first.

Just some food for thought.

Current System Specs:

As ever Falcon, very useful intel. I failed to convert library objects with MCX recently I think because I don't have the P3D SDK installed - yet. I never could get the FSX SDK to install or work properly. Think I need a bgl compiler of some sort.

I did manage a few years ago to take Gary's great Oriskany, pop it into MCX and make a static object out of it. Added an AFCAD on the deck with parking and a second "ocean flatten" AFCAD, and it displays and runs AI doing touch and goes out in the middle of Yankee Station. The homebuilt scenery works perfectly in P3Dv4 as well. Will try to get the v4 SDK installed and running and do some more attempts at MCX.

expat, did you see the link above for downloading the hangars I did for Loring?

Current System Specs:

Indeed! Will try 'em out later after I get home from work. Thanks Ed.

Bliss!

Made my day Falcon - once again - thanks!

Nice expat. . .good job!!

Current System Specs:

HEY ! Somebody close those doors!!

Ok, that's a bit weird. Bet the roof area needs to be compiled as a "platform" to repel the elements. I'll look into it and whatever it needs I'll correct it and recompile for you.

Current System Specs:

No need! The wind from the south was blowing all the snow in and I had just completed a very satisfying, immersive flight from KBTV, approaching Loring through the snow showers and decided to taxi straight in and shut down inside one of those great big hangars. I kind of liked the effect of the snow coming in the doors actually and took the screen shot.

You have sorted Loring out for me just fine. I am having lots of fun at the moment with winter weather and SAC era AI and aviating at KLIZ and also at PAEI Eileson AFB, which Ian has redone and posted at SOH recently.

B/t/w/ - now that P3D does not have "real time weather" from Jeppeson (boo!) I don't have active sky and just use the default weather options, here I think it is "heavy snow showers" in the screenie.

Well, after a short discussion on the FSDevelopers site, it would appear this is something that doesn't have a fix. The consensus seems to be that there's no way to keep the elements from showing "inside" a hangar. So there ya go, lol

Current System Specs:

Ed, the stuff looks great! I think the snow inside gives it more attitude, more of a harsher environment, in my opinion. Were those designed in real life to house a B-36?

Wiki says B-36, B-52 and KC-135s. Must have been an impressive display during alert launches. Matter of fact, if not mistaken, it was one of the primary layover stops, as Loring International, for returning units from Afghanistan and Iraq to clear customs. Sorry, off topic a bit, but just wanted to say I think the snowfall looks great in the hangar.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    Ed, the stuff looks great! I think the snow inside gives it more attitude, more of a harsher environment, in my opinion. Were those designed in real life to house a B-36?
    They were built from old photos of the large hangars at Loring. The length and width are based on Google Earth measurements and the height is my best guess based on the aircraft that would have been hangared there.

Current System Specs:

Bliss!

Made my day Falcon - once again - thanks!

a.) Is that the RAZBAM F-102A, and b.) Where can I find those markings?

Thanks,

Kent

Well, after a short discussion on the FSDevelopers site, it would appear this is something that doesn't have a fix. The consensus seems to be that there's no way to keep the elements from showing "inside" a hangar. So there ya go, lol
    "Oh the weather INSIDE is frightful . . let it snow, let it snow, let it snow . . " LOL - interesting - thanks Falcon for the R&D.

a.) Is that the RAZBAM F-102A, and b.) Where can I find those markings?
    a). Most definitely is. My Christmas present to myself. It of course is not A2A or PDMG BUT it has something about it - the overall package - that draws you back to flying it.

Been on a Convair Delta binge with the Loring and Alaska discussions. Have Rob's gorgeous "Six" and the Glowing Heat Hustler. They are great, but the Delta Dagger is great bang for the $10 price tag.

b). First, get Henk's mods ("version 2" FDE, etc) here (RAZBAM_Deuce_Tweaks_V2.zip) - a must, and any of DaveQ's 2048 paints and you are in for a great ride. Love these delta birds.

FSX Convair F-102A New 2048 Textures
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: razbamf102.zip
    Size: 31,561,637 Date: 09-17-2009 Downloads: 446

FSX Convair F-102A New 2048 Textures. This folder contains eight new 2048 x 2048 texture sets for the payware Razbam Convair F-102 Delta Dagger. Seven of these are reworked from the originals and one (for the 118th FIS Connecticut ANG) is new. These textures are derived from the original texture files using the Razbam paint kit supplied and acknowledges the copyright of that work to the original authors (Razbam). By Dave Quincey.

Members who have read this thread: 0