Sim Skunkworks FRF-104G CTDs FSXSE

Thread: Sim Skunkworks FRF-104G CTDs FSXSE

Sim Skunkworks FRF-104G CTDs FSXSE

Before I bug their support...

- FRF-104G v4.0.0 installed into FSX:SE
    - Model is registered in the registry as per SSW's registration process (key is present in registry)
    - MSVC++ 2013 runtimes are installed
    - Latest VACMI is installed
    - Dll.xml and exe.xml is installed, modules load

And yet my FSX crashes clean to desktop about thirty seconds after loading the plane. Everything seems to initialize okay at first.
    The crash doesn't produce and error or event log message, so I can't trace it down.

Only happens with the SSW 104, so scenery and other stuff can be ruled out.

Any experiences?

Such a crash shows probably that it is not properly registered. If this is a re-installation and not the first installation you may need a new key. I would suggest contacting their help desk.

Email is not their best contact method. You will get the fastest response by using the help desk page at their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Before I bug their support...

- FRF-104G v4.0.0 installed into FSX:SE
    - Model is registered in the registry as per SSW's registration process (key is present in registry)
    - MSVC++ 2013 runtimes are installed
    - Latest VACMI is installed
    - Dll.xml and exe.xml is installed, modules load

And yet my FSX crashes clean to desktop about thirty seconds after loading the plane. Everything seems to initialize okay at first.
    The crash doesn't produce and error or event log message, so I can't trace it down.

Only happens with the SSW 104, so scenery and other stuff can be ruled out.

Any experiences?
    Clearly a "silent close", that indicates that key is invalid for some reason.
    regards
    /SSW

Explained in FAQ's here:

Sim silently quits to desktop or hangs in pause

A clear indication that activation key is missing or has been flagged as invalid:

1. Major hardware and/or software changes can cause the activation key to become invalid.
    2. In such cases, please send the latest registration file generated to info@simskunkworks.com specifying what hardware/software changes you have done so we can provide you with a new key, without this informations we cannot rebuild the key.
    3. Registration files (those beginning with sswks. and ending with .ssw) are generated each time you load the airplane and can be found on the sim (either FSX or P3D) main folder.
    4. We will send you a new key with instructions to activate
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/images/ssw_sig.png

Quote Originally Posted by SSW1 View Post
    Clearly a "silent close", that indicates that key is invalid for some reason.
    regards
    /SSW

Explained in FAQ's here:

Sim silently quits to desktop or hangs in pause

A clear indication that activation key is missing or has been flagged as invalid:

1. Major hardware and/or software changes can cause the activation key to become invalid.
    2. In such cases, please send the latest registration file generated to info@simskunkworks.com specifying what hardware/software changes you have done so we can provide you with a new key, without this informations we cannot rebuild the key.
    3. Registration files (those beginning with sswks. and ending with .ssw) are generated each time you load the airplane and can be found on the sim (either FSX or P3D) main folder.
    4. We will send you a new key with instructions to activate
    That makes sense.
    Would be great if info like this wasn't hidden in the help desk menu though.

Sent you an e-mail with the registration file.

Got a new key from SSW, which works.

Now if only I could get the loadouts to work.
    The selection panel only works for Sidewinders, the centerline loads don't show up and I haven't seen anything pertaining to tip tanks, no matter the changes to the barcode in the aircraft.cfg, the barcodes.ini and or the fuel line in sswf104g.ini.
    And the vACMI pop up after every aircraft reload is bloody annoying.

And there are intermittent freezes every two or three minutes.

Clicking the starter with the EPU running drops the framerate next to zero. Reloading the aircraft yet again has the framerate at zero throughout and requires restarting FSX.
    Finding the starter itself is an act of luck because the switch looks like nothing, isn't labeled and there's no cockpit diagram in any manual to indicate where it might be.

I don't think this add-on is going to work out for me.

Another try, this time with a successful startup.

Had to slew from parking to the runway because there's no NWS switch and setting the NWS override to "true" in the .ini didn't work.

Five minutes after takeoff or so, the stuttering happened again and then FSX froze.

Error message from the event log:
    Code:
    Faulting application name: WebSimProcess.exe, version: 2.0.39.5, time stamp: 0x5716a5e9
    Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 3.2171.1979.0, time stamp: 0x54c0967c
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00443cf6
    Faulting process id: 0x4b0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d385031bbafd21
    Faulting application path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SimSkunkWorks\WebSimBrowser\2.0\32\WebSimProcess.exe
    Faulting module path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SimSkunkWorks\WebSimBrowser\CEF4FSXP3DXP.39\32\libcef.dll
    Report Id: b394680f-586c-4323-a97d-2bbe254d2469
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Uninstalled the FRF-104 afterward. I could write down a list what could be improved about it, but it would be long and I figure it's rather pointless since SimSkunkWorks isn't going to develop it any further.
    Wish I could get a refund.

P.S:
    To get the tip tanks to show up, make sure that the aircraft fuel tanks are empty (use FSX' fuel manager) before opening the loadout panel. You can then add and fill them. I figure the same applies to the pylon tanks for the long range model.
    Absolutely no luck to get the Kormoran or tip Sidewinders to show up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Another try, this time with a successful startup.

Had to slew from parking to the runway because there's no NWS switch and setting the NWS override to "true" in the .ini didn't work.

Five minutes after takeoff or so, the stuttering happened again and then FSX froze.

Error message from the event log:
    Code:
    Faulting application name: WebSimProcess.exe, version: 2.0.39.5, time stamp: 0x5716a5e9
    Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 3.2171.1979.0, time stamp: 0x54c0967c
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00443cf6
    Faulting process id: 0x4b0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d385031bbafd21
    Faulting application path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SimSkunkWorks\WebSimBrowser\2.0\32\WebSimProcess.exe
    Faulting module path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SimSkunkWorks\WebSimBrowser\CEF4FSXP3DXP.39\32\libcef.dll
    Report Id: b394680f-586c-4323-a97d-2bbe254d2469
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Uninstalled the FRF-104 afterward. I could write down a list what could be improved about it, but it would be long and I figure it's rather pointless since SimSkunkWorks isn't going to develop it any further.
    Wish I could get a refund.

P.S:
    To get the tip tanks to show up, make sure that the aircraft fuel tanks are empty (use FSX' fuel manager) before opening the loadout panel. You can then add and fill them. I figure the same applies to the pylon tanks for the long range model.
    Absolutely no luck to get the Kormoran or tip Sidewinders to show up though.
    Hi,
    as we have repeatedly said this is not the best place to get support as we read this forum occasionally, the help desk is the best, indeed the only one as we do not provide support via email.
    That said, I'm always a little surprised that some users do not consider that we now have hundreds if not thousands of FRF-104G successful installations and certainly we could not release a model that:
    - you can not drive on the ground using the rudder
    - after 5 minutes, crash the simulator
    and therefore the problem should be found locally, problem that the SSW, as it has always done, certainly helps the user to solve it,
    provided that the user also make some attempts to help us to help him, for example, read the subdirectory /docs where there are all the check lists necessary to better use the model.
    Also in the help desk there are the FAQs that collect all the most common difficulties encountered by users and that have been resolved.

Despite this some users are led to think that their local problems are instead generalized for all, the most used phrase is "I have many other models and all work well and then the fault is your model" to which we usually respond: " we too have many users who do not have the problem and so the fault is yours ".
    In this way, not only does the problem not be resolved, but good relationship is not maintained either.

Last but not least is a bit unfair to use a so wide forum to report so serious problems or errors since many others user are led to think that the SSW FRF-104G is rubbish, which is certainly not.

The FRF-104G was released 4 years ago, has had several versions and improvements, I can hardly understand which list of "improvements and problems" you can speak if not a list of local problems that I assure you do not occur for the other users.
    Having said that I add that it is for me a model to which i spent a lot of time because i love it and I really flew for almost 3000 hours when I was a young fighter pilot, it will hardly be able to find things that need to be changed from the real, I assure you.

Finally if you do not want refer to help desk but desire a refund I will do it willingly, we prefer not to have users like you.

warm regards
    /SSW
    http://www.simskunkworks.com/store/images/ssw_sig.png

Everything is fine in my case and I have all SSW FSX models. Any problem in my case is when I haven't read the product's documentation, but despite my mistake I received SSW support and advice even during Sundays and holidays. I really can't even think of trying to virtually fly the Starfighter and not reading the manuals, since this in real time will result in a sure crash.

P.S Many FSX/P3D developers ask real life pilots to assist in the development of their models. With the SSW Starfighter we have the luck of having Mario's leading developing role and we must not forget that Mario is one of the F-104 pilots listed in the International Starfighter Pilots hall of fame. We must show respect for his work and also for his experience.

I have this addon and it works fine on my system. This thread made me fly it again and I must say it is one of the most satisfying/rewarding addons I have on my disc.

Just my two cents.

Cees

Hi,
    Last but not least is a bit unfair to use a so wide forum to report so serious problems or errors since many others user are led to think that the SSW FRF-104G is rubbish, which is certainly not.
    It is not unfair, it is common sense to check with the community if anybody had the same problems in the past, before you try to contact any official help desk.
    When I get a problem with a plane, I always first ask on the forums. If I can't get help from fellow simmers, THEN I try to contact the plane maker.
    I cannot understand why you are so shocked ?

Finally if you do not want refer to help desk but desire a refund I will do it willingly, we prefer not to have users like you.

warm regards
    /SSW
    This kind of remark makes much more harm to SSW than any problem reported by any user. I hope you can understand this.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the crashing problem is local and yes, if there are hardly any problems reported by users, it may be assumed that the majority is happy with your Starfighter.

The model is certainly not rubbish. From the hour I've spent around and inside a real F-104G (well, two of them actually), everything looks very accurate and real.

Having said that I add that it is for me a model to which i spent a lot of time because i love it and I really flew for almost 3000 hours when I was a young fighter pilot, it will hardly be able to find things that need to be changed from the real, I assure you.
    I'm 110% sure that it operates and handles as you've experienced it for 3000 hours. But from a flight simulation and usability standpoint, it just requires too many compromises on the my part to make it usable for me (lack of cockpit familiarization documentation and radar documentation, not being able to load the aircraft from a saved situation in flight, inabilitiy to make the tip and pylon tanks show in the load manager when the plane is initialized with fuel in those tanks, having to assign keys to use basic functions like nose wheel steering, switches that can only be used with the mouse wheel without left and right buttons, etc.).

Understandble. Unhappy users are bad users.
    I've submitted a request for a refund via the help desk. If this is not the correct procedure, I'll write an e-mail to the info@... address.

... Finally if you do not want refer to help desk but desire a refund I will do it willingly, we prefer not to have users like you...
    Un-clalled for, at a minimum. Bjoern was not rude to anyone in this thread. He had a question, and was even thoughtful enough to not burden your "help" desk before asking if any users here had a solution.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Applied for a refund via the helpdesk and got it within the hour.

Apologies to SSW for the inconvienience. I should have listened to my mind instead of my heart back when I pressed "Buy".
    No hard feelings from my side. If something doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

All the best to them in their present and future endeavours.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Just bought the F-104S and knew it couldn't go completely smoothly.

Actually purchase and download went very well, so did installation. It's when I went to my email inbox I found something of interest. It's a note from Daemon, email delivery service I think.

Note says the following:

This is the mail system at host relay1.incentra.it.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com>: host xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons. See
    https://help.xxxxx.com/kb/postmaster/xxxxxx.html (in reply to end of DATA
    command)
    Version 3.9.0

Attached file to email:

sswks.OWNER-PCXXXXXX.AERITALIA-LOCKHEED-F104S.probe.ssw

Has this stopped the rest of the installation dead in its tracks?

Members who have read this thread: 0