REX Skyforce 3D released! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: REX Skyforce 3D released!

YoYo-

Does this mean you have converted from ASCA textures...?

C

PS- How's SP-AMN doing ?

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post

PS- How's SP-AMN doing ?
    Havent yet this An-2. Maybe Today, -10% on PCAvaiator + better price than in Aero store. .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Anybody installed the just released SF update ? ( 20180104/32 /64 )

Thanks!

cheese,
    jan

Yes, for sure. No any problem with installation. Just it needs to set up settings again.

https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.co...e-3d-hotfix-1/

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Last edited by YoYo; January 9th, 2018 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Yes, for sure. No any problem with installation. Just it needs to set up settings again.

https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.co...e-3d-hotfix-1/
    Thanks YoYo!

Mighty handy because i bought my copy from Simmarket and would've had to uninstall, redownload and re-install the whole shebang again ! Now (hopefully) fixed in 10 seconds...

cheers,
    jan

Blog Entries
    Is there any impact on frame rates? I'm a bit undecided whether to buy this or noy.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    Is there any impact on frame rates? I'm a bit undecided whether to buy this or noy.

Ian
    Before Sky Force I used REX Soft Clouds + TD textures.
    Dont worry about FPS, now is better. I recived +10 fps boost (or more) in the same weather (for example with overcast I have now 50-60 fps).
    The biggest problem is the Weather engine, is a crappy: the main problem is transition effect (sudden!!!), not soft like with Active Sky. You have good weather, after 0,1 sec suddenly full overcast. Also no option to set up interval of weather injection (like 10, 15, 30, 60 minutes). This is poor idea.

Examples from my flight Today. The weather after take off.

After 10 minutes is a little worse but still ok (visibility), notice is my final airfiled here:

And on approach I noticed fog, suddenly (?!), like magic:

Fortunately You can use it with the other weather engine (like HiFi). The rest is ok (textures ect) for my (low and slow) and I don't regret. I hope also the weather engine will be improved here.

Ian
    no noticeable impact at 4096 with overcast and rain, where with rex essentials i did encounter an impact

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies, I'm very tempted. I have Active Sky and Cloud Art (both of which I like) so maybe the way to go is REX and Active sky.

Regards,
    Ian

Thanks for the replies, I'm very tempted. I have Active Sky and Cloud Art (both of which I like) so maybe the way to go is REX and Active sky.

Regards,
    Ian
    either way its a lot less demanding on the system than REX texture direct on clouds and has better definition than soft clouds or AS sky art, one thing I must admit, the rex weather engine depicts the thunderstorm towering clouds better than AS-P3Dv4

And living in the tropics where at the moment we we're having major monsoonal thunder storms and heavy rain each afternoon and evening, the rex engine is growing on me, but i have the best of both worlds with the 2 engines

Now I'm getting tempted. But I was hoping that using it with AS that I would finally see those towering thunderheads. Why is this lacking now using AS and ASCA? I swear I saw them adverised at one point with ASCA.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    Now I'm getting tempted. But I was hoping that using it with AS that I would finally see those towering thunderheads. Why is this lacking now using AS and ASCA? I swear I saw them adverised at one point with ASCA.

LouP
    It might depend on which ASCA cloud theme you use, and if you're in a weather situation where cumulo-nimbus are being produced.

Have you tried using the "Full Dynamics" theme? I think that's an automatic cloud selection theme, and it always seemed to produce
    towering clouds and a flying in valleys in the clouds type of feeling for me (although I didn't always like the look of the clouds it produced,
    a bit too hard edged at times it seemed, but that's just me).

- Rob

TY for the feedback, Rob. I'll give it a shot.

LouP

There's also two other settings for thunderstorms in AS for P3Dv4 under Cloud Options, which I haven't tried because, per AS, they
    can impact fps (and my old system needs all the fps it can get). One is Maximum Cloud Layers, the default AS setting for which
    is 5. The other is a tickbox for Multi Layer Thunderstorm Clouds, the default setting for which is off. I don`t know what would happen
    if you increased the layers and ticked the box on. Maybe something that`s great for screenshots, but not for general flying.

But sorry, this is a bit OT, since the thread is about REX Skyforce release, and I am following with some interest. I always liked
    the REX colours for sky themes, dawns, and sunsets in FSX. ASCA by comparison seems a little bit bland. The pictures for Skyforce
    in this thread bear this out. But I must admit, I`ve had AS for P3Dv4 plus ASCA for the last 7 months, and they`ve both worked
    flawlessly, not a single issue, not something I could always say for REX in FSX.

Anyway, I am following with some interest.

- Rob

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post

What a stunning screenshot capture! Simply wonderful, Yoyo, could live with that shot for a long while. Nicely done!

​.

Quote Originally Posted by docjohnson View Post
    I'm only using the textures in TD+SC that SF doesn't already have loaded. One example is the ground texturing in TD+SC. I disable the weather engine in SF and use AS16 as the weather engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I believe I remember reading on the REX site that Sky Force does not replace the ground and water textures, just the sky.
    Thanks for the clarification.

TG that I have not uninstalled TD+SC yet. Can use that for the ground textures, and AS for the weather engine as docjohnson mentioned.

Got the discount email from PCAviator, and Tuesdays is 10% off everything. Let's see if it also accepts the $5 discount coupon I have. That would make it a real bargain. Will have to have a look when I get home tonight.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

So I had a spare moment to find and fly through a thunderstorm...one of the hardest landings I have ever done...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F-106 NASA Eclipse Test Aircraft in a thunderstorm near Paderborn Germany.jpg   F-106 NASA Eclipse Test Aircraft in a thunderstorm near Paderborn Germany 3.jpg   F-106 NASA Eclipse Test Aircraft in a thunderstorm near Paderborn Germany 4.jpg   F-106 NASA Eclipse Test Aircraft in a thunderstorm near Paderborn Germany 5.jpg   F-106 NASA Eclipse Test Aircraft in a thunderstorm near Paderborn Germany 9.jpg  
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

I hesitated at first as I though I was pretty covered with REX4, soft clouds and AS16 P3D but I fell for it and am very glad I did. I use it with AS16 as engine and the result is spectacular, to say the least.

I hear you. I'm using it with AS2016 for V4, TD+SC, and PTA. All good money spent.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Guess this will bump up this thread. Anybody using this REX product with FSXWX?

From what I can ascertain with REX Skyforce 3D there are changes to the way cloud textures are displayed (the description is modelled but I am not sure how this could be done really) that being said perhaps they have a means of building textures up without one big dynamically changing texture file is my guess.

Anyhow I was interested to know if anybody is using this with another weather injection engine. In my case I already use REX 4 for textures etc, but got fed up with the weather engine, clunky is the only word I can find to describe it oh and unreliable as well, but their textures were great,

I am currently using FSXWX which is just fine, smooth loads textures or changes the weather clouds etc almost seamlessly on my system and improved the overall weather display significantly by doing the job of getting the textures up better I guess. I looked at some of the screenshots posted here and while I can appreciate some of the smoothing for stratoform cloud, my main question is - Does it really produce mid level cloud such as AC, AS and NS properly in levels and layers? Cumulus cloud display in my humble view is not an issue because it depends on the texture selections you make in the first place and any weather injection engine cannot discern what it looks like only the amount to try and display. I am just having a little trouble seeing any significant difference with my current setup and what is on offer by REX that's all.

Footnote - I am currently teaching aviation meteorology so I have a very good idea of what clouds should look like etc and the only thing I can say is one day is never the same as the other in generaly shape or cloud displacement and levels in the real world.

I am using it seamlessly with AS16. My meteorology knowledge is limited to the PPL exam book content and that has been a few years back. However, what I see in the sim is that every day the sky is different and the cloud textures are dynamically changing based on the METAR description. You do not need to define the cloud textures that you prefer in REX4, Skyforce 3D injects them dynamically for you.

I have been using Rex Sky Force since it was released, and it is an amazing program. It does "model" clouds (I don't know how they're modelled either, but they are) and produces a number of new models to give a much greater variety of cloud models. It just produces some amazing looking weather. It has many more features apart from just clouds too.

I have also been using the Sky Force weather engine exclusively in P3DV4, mainly just to test it out over a long period. That was a bit clunky, but still replicated real world weather very well. The only complaints I really had was that simconnect was used so when an update was injected in to the sim there was a slight pause, but worse than that the sky would suddenly change from thick overcast clouds to zero clouds in an instant. Also for some reason the baro pressure reported by Sky Force was never the same as that experienced in the sim. A massive update has just been released this week, so I'm hoping these issues have been fixed or improved.

Another thing it can do is generate sky textures that change over (I think) a ten day period, so you choose a set rather than a single theme. So each day you fly the sky will be changing. Same as with the weather generation. By using the various cloud models and textures the changing weather will dynamically be replicated in the sim as you fly.

There are too many features for me to continue with, so just check out a feature list (and an update list showing the new fixes). I can honestly recommend this program to anyone.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

The updated weather engine seems really spot on. I was just testing, and if you import a flight plan for your flight, the weather is very accurately replicated in the sim.

I just checked the latest METAR for Sumburgh, loaded up an old flight plan into Sky Force, and the results in the sim were identical.

I will stick with the weather engine, and hopefully they can sort out the smoothing issue,which in my eyes is the only slight downside to the whole program.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Members who have read this thread: 0