Well, my flightsim has decided it's not going to start up.

Thread: Well, my flightsim has decided it's not going to start up.

Well, my flightsim has decided it's not going to start up.

My FS has decided it's just not going to fire up.
    I installed a couple of airplanes a couple of weeks back, and maybe my laptop didn't like them! After flying both to check them out, on laptop shutdown, I got the blue screen of death.

ohcrap....

So, restrart... no issues.. do a bunch of stuff... shutdown was fine. Restart, fly flightsim (not the new airplanes), shut down... blue screen....... Start up... didn't open flightsim.. shutdown.. no issues.
    So, I chuck the two new airplanes in the recycle bin... Not a single blue screen issue since...

But...
    Flightsim won't load now. I get to the splashscreen... little circle goes round and round and round and round.. nope... that's as far as I get

Go into Task manager.. "Flightsim is not responding" so I shut it down.
    Shortcut doesn't work, clicking the FS9 icon in the folder doesn't work... I even tried to 'fool' it by starting up from the ACE utility in my CS C-130... no joy....
    I thought I could maybe copy and paste my entire backup of the root fs folder from my external drive, but nope...

I suppose my only recourse here is a full uninstall, then re-install from scratch and see if it starts, then if successful, copy and paste over all my airplanes etc. from my backup drive.

So..NOW I need to find my install disks (which are packed away with other pc stuff)

Aren't computers fun???
    cheers, and happy new year
    Dave

ps.. I can't even check to see if the F-86 skin I uploaded today is working .. grrr.... (I expect if it isn't.. someone will be quick to inform me! :-) )

Ouch, that doesn't sound good Dave. Have you already tried to delete the fs9 configuration file? Sometimes this has magical effects.

And if that doesn't work, try to look it it from the sunny side. With a fresh install you will get rid of a lot of old stuff as well.

Good luck,
    Huub

Got your Sabre paint downloaded OK, I thought about a similar problem I had like that. Turns out the FS9.exe had gotten corrupted somehow, probably malware of some sort. Deleted it, installed another and deleted the FS9 config file, like Huub described below. Ran a routine MalwareBytes scan just to be sure. Problem solved. Not saying that it'll fix your issue, but it's worth a shot.

ATB - BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

What a bummer, and that just around the New Year.

Before doing a clean install I would suggest deleting the FS9.cfg file (sa Huub mentioned), and letting FS recreate a new one. In most cases that resolves any startup issues.

Good luck.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

If the FS9 config deletion has no effect, you can also try deleting, or changing the name of, the logbook.bin file and see if that has an effect. If you get a corrupted logbook file it can mess up the whole thing. I've found that even going into the logbook in the flight sim and editing an entry can have this effect.
    There are a few "logbook restorer" programs out there, so if this happens, you can correct the troubles, and not loose the entire contents of the log book. Frustrating to have 10 million flight hours, and suddenly loose it all due to a logbook problem.

Good luck!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

check the tips tweaks section up above.
    one possibility is that a windows update has turned on the
    account control settings again.

Ttfn

Pete

thanks for all the responses!

But... still no joy. Looks like I'm faced with locating and deleting all my FS files from the hard drive and doing a re-install. Then copy and paste in my rather large aircraft folder.. gauges, modified textures.. airports... flight plans.. sigh.. oh well. it's NOT like I've never had to do this before!

Just gotta find those discs.. and the time!
    cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Got your Sabre paint downloaded OK, I thought about a similar problem I had like that. Turns out the FS9.exe had gotten corrupted somehow, probably malware of some sort. Deleted it, installed another and deleted the FS9 config file, like Huub described below. Ran a routine MalwareBytes scan just to be sure. Problem solved. Not saying that it'll fix your issue, but it's worth a shot.

ATB - BB686
    thanks! glad to know the Sabre has no issues!

I HATE not being able to do a fresh download and install to see if I've messed up somewhere! LOL
    cheers
    Dave

FINALLY... FS up and running!

Well.. after reading all of the ideas presented here by fellow simmers.. and THANK YOU for taking the time to post!! I have FINALLY got my flightsim up and running... but there was a bit of a cost..

After many bouts of trial and error, and being increasingly invasive with each failure, I ended up deleting EVERY single file on my hard drive that I could find that had anything to do with FS..... even the main cfg. file.. which on TWO attempts to locate.. didn't seem to exist.. third try is the charm!

I backed up everything on my external drive first!!! THEN, brand new, complete clean install.

Back to square one... then, bit by bit, I added my sceneries, my airplanes (one by one), saved flights, edited airports, etc. each time, starting up the sim to see if it still worked. I did not reload the last two airplanes I had installed right before the 'incident'!!!

apart from two error messages concerning a couple of 'incompatible dll files on startup.. all is working... mostly.. (I have moved those two files from the folder.. and no more messages)

All my 'personal' assignments, display etc. have no been painstakingly re-created.. phew.. THAT took some time... and I'm left with a couple of hand wringing issues.

The ACE in my CS C-130 no longer works... I can choose the planes from the aircraft menu, and all my liveries are in the CS folder.. but no joy when it comes to opening ACE to edit fuel, payload.. remove external tanks..

I even did a fresh download of the product from CS website after uninstalling the airplane.

grrr........ I'll probably eventually get it all sorted!

In the meantime, over the past couple of days, I've been playing with Miltons XP-72... And have a little 'alternate reality' variant and paint now in my stable.

Imagine the invasion of Europe hadn't gone so well.... and the jet fighter program that killed the P-72 was having serious setbacks, and the airplane did indeed go into production, and was now being used for ground attack duties in support of the push towards Germany... So, here is my "P-72D", complete with factory applied recognition stripes (to try and stop the number of allied aircraft being shot down by overzealous ground troops!)

Yes.. I was bored!! LOL

So, an edited screenshot from the winter of 1944-45, and a jpeg of the main exterior bmp file (WITH exhaust streaking).

It's nice to be back in the air.. well.. virtually!!
    Cheers
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P-72D in snow.jpg   fuse2_t.jpg  

Glad to hear you got things sorted, mate.

Yeah, the ACE for my CS-C130 doesn't work still. Despite my attempts to save the install, including my trusty "Juliet" in all her glory, looks like a complete un-install and re-install of the C-130 altogether. GRRRR...

Yep, that XP-72 in the snow is pretty much what it looks like here in good ol' Colorado right now. We're socked in!

Superb work on the paint scheme!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Welcome back in the virtual skies Bushi

Huub

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Glad to hear you got things sorted, mate.

Yeah, the ACE for my CS-C130 doesn't work still. Despite my attempts to save the install, including my trusty "Juliet" in all her glory, looks like a complete un-install and re-install of the C-130 altogether. GRRRR...

Yep, that XP-72 in the snow is pretty much what it looks like here in good ol' Colorado right now. We're socked in!

Superb work on the paint scheme!

BB686
    Should just be a reinstall to realign the file directories for the ace utility

Ttfn

Pete

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushi View Post
    Well..
    apart from two error messages concerning a couple of 'incompatible dll files on startup.. all is working... mostly.. (I have moved those two files from the folder.. and no more messages)

To get rid of those dll messages on startup, just paste the following into the fs9.cfg file, at the end, before restarting>
    [OLDMODULES]
    FSsound.dll=1
    ADF2mod.dll=1
    click_ok.dll=1
    PSSound.dll=1
    FSUIPC.dll=1
    SOARRec.dll=1
    waicao.dll=1

That's my 'generic' mod I use. I have not deleted any dll's, & the above are the usual ones that give the error. It does not matter if you do not have any of those dll's in your module folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Should just be a reinstall to realign the file directories for the ace utility

Ttfn

Pete
    that's what I thought too... and nope... something else going on here! grrr..

This laptop of mine sometimes has a mind of its own... With a lot of airplanes.. MOSTLY Miltons for some reason.... regardless of WHAT I do.. I don't seem to have permission to edit cfg files as they are initially installed..

Soooooo if I want to add paints.. do my own textures, I need to copy everything in the affected airplanes folder into a new one, with a different name.. then change the air file, and edit the cfg. to match... and surprise.. I can do whatever the heck I want with the new airplane. :-)

a computer genius.. that I'm not.. but I do have a mind that finds ways to fixing things.. most of the time!
    Dave

Don't feel too bad about the CS C-130 not working. I bought it and it never was able to install, and Capt. Sim has no refund policy so I just had to eat it. There is a very nice freeware C-130 in Danish Air Force markings that fills the role just fine. Let me know if you need a hint in finding it.

Thanks, but my CS C-130 woeks fine for me

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    Don't feel too bad about the CS C-130 not working. I bought it and it never was able to install, and Capt. Sim has no refund policy so I just had to eat it. There is a very nice freeware C-130 in Danish Air Force markings that fills the role just fine. Let me know if you need a hint in finding it.
    I've had no issues with mine and sorry to hear you had such a bad experience! Mine has worked flawlessly since day one, with this inability to uae ACE no the only issue.. well. for the BASE 130 anyway... I never EVER did get the VC flightdeck to work in the Gunship.... always put me in the cabin.. with no way out. so.. gave up.....

Considering I bought it on sale for $9.99... I'm happy.. :-)

Cheers
    Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0