The US Navy Tanker Drone

Thread: The US Navy Tanker Drone

Lightbulb The US Navy Tanker Drone

Thanks for posting Panther 99FS , Very interesting article . Never realized this was even on the drawing board . It takes some getting use to seeing a drone of this size .

Rich
    USAF Retired , 906 Tactical Fighter Group , Wright Patterson AFB , Ohio
    I7-9700K , MSI/MPG-Z390M , 32GB DDR4 3200 , RTX 2080 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Thanks for posting Panther 99FS , Very interesting article . Never realized this was even on the drawing board . It takes some getting use to seeing a drone of this size .

Rich
    NP!
    IMHO, if you think about it, an AR drone does make sense....

SOH-CM-2023
    With the advances taking place in the technology space, I would not be surprised to see the human presence also eliminated from military aircraft that are designed to deliver munitions. They will be remotely piloted from ships, subs and land bases. It's coming faster than we probably expect.

Stealth Drone Tanker

When you look at it the tanker is the weak link in the deep interdiction mission. For example, if you wanted to strike a target deep in enemy territory where you have to traverse an integrated anti-aircraft defense system, flying circuitous routes around enemy early warning installations (burning precious go-go juice in the mean time) to hit a target so far away that an AR with a tanker going in and coming out is your only means for mission success...then to have the KC-135's knocked down like a large lumbering goose makes the score Enemy 2 (tanker and out-of-fuel fighter) and the Good Guys 0.

Concepts for a stealth tanker are in the works, however the MQ-25 tanker, which is carrier borne, will be an interim measure. A dedicated platform other than the MQ-25 would be interesting to see. A ship-borne unmanned stealth tanker a little larger than an A-12 Avenger II would be very interesting for the Navy.

Check out the next step in the evolution of stealth tankers:
    http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...stealth-tanker

Nice, but will it take credit/debit cards?
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Members who have read this thread: 0