Need honest opinions...

Thread: Need honest opinions...

Need honest opinions...

Ok.. apples to apples.. My computer isn’t new. I’m able to run v3 fine. I have my frames locked at 30 .. I do get some stutters when zipping low level but I’m overall happy with it.. I mostly fly military stuff, so the long haul PMDG OOM stuff doesn’t really mess me up.
    My question is.. is v4 worth it...? Besides dynamic lighting (which I probably couldn’t use).. is there enough improvements to make it worth it.. or more is it basically the same sim..?

Thanks guys!

You can view it as "basically the same sim", excepted it won't crash when flying in the nice detailed areas...
    The autogen distance is another point.
    If you're happy with your v3 experience, and you don't get OOMs on the sceneries you use, then you probably don't need to switch to v4 yet.

If you have an appropriate graphics card, you can see a significant performance improvement over v3.

My rig is pretty strong but went from 50-70 fps in v3 to 80-110 fps in v4, same add-ons, same hardware.

what is your graphics card?

Pobably the biggest downside to v4 is the need to upgrade most of your fleet to be compatible. This means if an aircraft uses any 32 bit .gau or .dll files, it needs to be upgraded (or some functionality, possibly critical, will be lost ). In some cases, e.g. if it uses the Doug Dawson sound gauge, you can upgrade it yourself, some companies are providing free upgrades, some require a partial or complete repurchase, and some provide no upgrade path, and that aircraft must be retired. This last situation is pretty common and if a it means retiring one of your favorite planes, it makes the decision to hold off on v4 an easier one.

Aside from the move to 64 bit, which removes the virtual memory limit, V4 is evolutionary, not revolutionary. There are numerous incremental improvements which make the sim run smoother and look better than V3. You older rig will likely work better with V4 than it does with V3.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post

Aside from the move to 64 bit, which removes the virtual memory limit, V4 is evolutionary, not revolutionary.
    Perhaps revolutionary to your wallet ($$$) To quote a popular US commercial - Whats in your wallet

Yea.. more money .. more investments.. I enjoy carrier ops.. so VRS is getting more money.. new FSUIPC.. blah blah blah.. this hobby has a slippery road..

did they at at least fix the carrier wake in V4?

Here is my personal list of v4 compatibles (not including VRS). Most of these were "free" upgrades

These aircraft are fully compatible with v4 installers:
    JF T-1 Hawk
    Carenado C90 GTX (T-44C)
    Carenado C90 (T-44A)
    Carenado B200 (T-12)
    Carenado T-34A
    Milviz UH-1 Huey
    Carenado C337 (O-2A)
    Milviz Beaver and Otter
    Dino F-35ABC
    Aerosoft OV-10 Bronco
    CeraSim UH-60L
    Ant's T-28 series
    Milviz T-38A series
    Milviz F-4J/S
    Simworks F-4B/N
    Aerosoft Twin Otter

These aircraft can be lightly modded or shoehorned to fullywork in v4:
    Iris C-27J
    TDS P-8A
    Virtavia T-34C
    Milviz CH-47 Chinook
    Dino T-45C
    Iris A-10A
    Iris PC-21
    Realair SF260
    Iris T-6A
    Iris T-6B

Dman, it sounds like we do a similar style of flying.

I have both v3.4 and v4.1 installed on my computer. The differences that I have noticed between the two sims is that v4.1 is a smoother experience for me and the detail of ground textures. I have a lot of the same scenery installed in both sims and there are some areas that experience similar performance drops in regards to FPS or a scenery load stutter, but overall v4.1 is just smoother.

In v3.4 I would notice blurry ground textures when flying low level and at high speeds, such as MTRs or coming in for the overhead break. It appears v4.1 does a better job with ground texture loading. I will still get an occasional blurry texture in v4.1 but even then it loads quicker and is not as noticeable as it was in v3.4.

The only "tweak" I have made to the cfg file in v3.4 and 4.1 is adjusting the smallpartrejectradius to see objects at a greater distance.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by evvatc View Post
    The only "tweak" I have made to the cfg file in v3.4 and 4.1 is adjusting the smallpartrejectradius to see objects at a greater distance.
    Bill
    A "must do"

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Yea.. more money .. more investments.. I enjoy carrier ops.. so VRS is getting more money.. new FSUIPC.. blah blah blah.. this hobby has a slippery road..

did they at at least fix the carrier wake in V4?
    What is the problem with the wake ? As far as I remember, the only problem was the 2D wake over the 3D waves, but that was fixed in v3 already.

I still get jagged wakes with the Nimitz.. but the other carriers look fine

How are you using this tweak? According to the SDK, the default setting is '1', which should provide the maximum visibility distance. Anything else results in increased culling of small objects.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

You can see my computer specs in my signature.

I have FSXA, P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 all installed on the same system (including the same hard drive) with the same add-ons installed......and P3Dv4 significantly performs the best.

The only reason I keep the other versions is for testing purposes.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Thanks.. I’m sure I will take the plunge.. it’s just reinvesting back into this.. not excited about having to rebuild it all.. and I’m afraid when it’s over.. I’m going to be like.. it just ok.. nothing earth shattering..

Blog Entries
    Thanks.. I’m sure I will take the plunge.. it’s just reinvesting back into this.. not excited about having to rebuild it all.. and I’m afraid when it’s over.. I’m going to be like.. it just ok.. nothing earth shattering..
    I agree that it isn't earth shattering. However, I have since removed V3 and gone strictly with V4. I haven't looked back. I love V4.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Hope this helps,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    A "must do"
    You have my curiosity piqued...what tweak and what is the outcome of the tweak? I have a very robust system too but suddenly, had to change my sliders from max everything, to 70% to get everything working right. I will update my system specs in my signature.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strykerpsg View Post
    You have my curiosity piqued...what tweak and what is the outcome of the tweak? I have a very robust system too but suddenly, had to change my sliders from max everything, to 70% to get everything working right. I will update my system specs in my signature.
    http://c-aviation.net/fsx-tweak/smal...-in-fsx-steam/

Just read about this "Must do" tweak, I have not done any tweaks in P3Dv4, which is unusual for me, as I have always been busy tweaking FSX.

I will have to give this one a try with me mediocre graphics card. I can always remove it and go back to basics.

So far I am very happy with the overall performance; getting avg 30 fps with OrbX Global, Vector, Open LC Europe, NA, PNW, Fjords, and and and... installed.
    Although for me fps has never been a measure, I look at smoothness inside and outside the cockpit.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Just read about this "Must do" tweak, I have not done any tweaks in P3Dv4, which is unusual for me, as I have always been busy tweaking FSX.
    This is the only manual edit I've done to both P3Dv3 and P3Dv4. It is very important if you fly online formation or aerial refueling. With my setup and this tweak, I can see the tanker at about 2-2.5 miles without labels.

Thanks for the info Henry.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Thanks guys.. I'll probably take the plunge anyway.. i'm usually excited about new Sims.. but this time I'm like.. ugh.. again..?

I've got a huge archive of aircraft that I like to fly, and I'm sure quite a few won't work in v4. I also have a big collection of AI traffic that use a number of FS9 models. I've never had OOM issues so the incentive for me to move is very minimal. v3 is performing wonderfully and it's looking crazy good with PTA. v4 is very fussy about where addons are placed as well. I can put them where ever I want and most of my FSX scenery is working well.

Members who have read this thread: 0