New 3D sound set for Manfred Jahn & Team's C-47
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 3D sound set for Manfred Jahn & Team's C-47

New 3D sound set for Manfred Jahn & Team's C-47

Hi all,

As a Christmas gift to the FS community I would hereby like to announce the availability of a new sound set for Manfred Jahn & Team's C-47 package. Around 80 hours of sampling, test flying, etc. went into this project but in the end... it was worth it me thinks. Wanted to do a DC-3/C-47 sound set for AGES but never got around to it.

Massive shout out to the three YouTubers who made this possible;

I'll post the link here as soon as it's up @ SoH. (Also uploading to AVSIM.com).

EDIT: It's up @ SoH (first ever upload *yay*) --> http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...5&linkid=23264

Enjoy and do let me know what you think

Merry christmas!

Mike

Hi Mike,

What in virtual heaven's name is wrong with the original soundsuite ??..... You're sure you're talking about Ted's engine soundsuite and Daniel's cockpit soundsuite, right ??....

I am the first to be interested in new soundsuites, especially for prop aircraft, but when it comes to the C-47/DC-3 sound affair it is my firm believe we have been blessed with all we could ever wish for and more. Ok, i'm slightly biased as you may understand....

Slightly baffled too....

cheers,
    jan
    Last edited by Javis; December 23rd, 2017 at 17:40.

Mighty happy with Ted’s sounds.

steve

Nothing wrong with having another radial soundset to enjoy. Downloading now Thanks!

Edit: Just tried it and wow! Felt like I was in the real thing! Now I have two great soundsets

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Hi Jan,

Just try it

Cheers,

Mike
    Well, i have to say it's fantastic, Mike ! A fine job you did there, sir !

If only our C-47/DC-3 had to make do with the FSX default DC-3 sound, then i probabely would've asked you to marry me.... But it didn't, didn't it. Already fitted with one of the best ever soundsuites around. I can think of a few wonderful prop aircraft models in my virtual hangar which are actually screaming for a better soundsuite.... ( *not* the DHC-3 Otter mind you ! Superb soundsuite, Mike ! Thanks! ;-)

What i like most about your Dakota soundsuite is that it's equally superb to Ted's rendition but still pretty different. Like with the real thing no C-47/DC-3 is like another and, atleast regarding the internal, that probabely goes for the sound as well. We can now have that difference in our virtual Dakota fleet too.
    Say, Mike, you had your way with the R-1850's, and a wonderful way at that, but what's your stance towards the R-2000's ( say 4 of 'em... )

Thanks again for your great gift, Mike, you certainly did make our virtual C-47/DC-3 world even richer still!

cheers,
    jan

I too was skeptical I would like anything other than Ted's sounds in this bird but I have to say, I am very impressed! It's worth a look folks, both guys did a hell of a job on their sound files. You can try and choose between both.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like Mike! Sounds fantastic! Thanks and Merry Christmas!
    Cheers!

The Old Master Sergeant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails santa_claus.jpg  

I take option 3 and use SkyHigh Audio's R-1830 soundset.

Oh, Bjoern, that is blasphemy

I think, as Jan says, that we are lucky to now have 2 (or 3) awesome sound sets so if we like, we can just add different sound sets to different C-47s to mix it up a bit.

Thanks Mike!
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    Oh, Bjoern, that is blasphemy
    Did you expect anything less from me?

Mike is the man who did the MilViz Otter sound set so he knows his stuff!!! Now if you guys would have open the sound.cfg file and read the header you would know the name that is in this C-47 set is the same in the Otter sound set. I like to know who dose stuff like this.

The [prop] command is the way to go with engines sounds, not the old [combustion] setup that is done in the past and is still being done now.

I remember a guy name Adam Murphy did a C-47 set using the [prop] command years ago. Seems he was right in doing it that way.

Started to experiment [prop] myself and is by far the best way to do sound sets.

Top notch stuff Mike! Like to get some advise sometime. TeD

Oh forget to add he did MilViz Beaver too!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Thanks MikeM-

I like the new sound set in P3D V3 however, I did not copy over that panel folder - I looked at the contents and there were only a few wav files.
    This panel folder has a subfolder called DSD sounds which has only a few wave files, the original DSD sounds folder contain a lot more sounds that would be lost if it
    was over written. I got by without messing with the Panel/DSD sounds an it sounds Okay by me - don't understand the hub-bub on replacing that folder.
    I'm glad that I did backup the original TF sound - just in case.

EDIT: The sounds in the new panel are already in the old DSDSOUND folder.
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 24th, 2017 at 10:08.

Thanks Mike
    Very nice sound set and a great option for the C-47. I had to play with volume a bit to obtain all the fidelity of this package and now it seems quite realistic.
    Thanks for creating it.
    Warren

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Thanks MikeM-

I like the new sound set in P3D V3 however, I did not copy over that panel folder - I looked at the contents and there were only a few wav files.
    This panel folder has a subfolder called DSD sounds which has only a few wave files, the original DSD sounds folder contain a lot more sounds that would be lost if it
    was over written. I got by without messing with the Panel/DSD sounds an it sounds Okay by me - don't understand the hub-bub on replacing that folder.
    I'm glad that I did backup the original TF sound - just in case.

EDIT: The sounds in the new panel are already in the old DSDSOUND folder.

The six files in the DGSounds folder are the only ones replaced if you copy the folder,
    as anyone one with even the most basic knowledge of windows will tell you.
    They are the engine cranking sounds and are matched to the new engine sounds.
    Regards,
    Nick

Hi Mike,

Oh dear, now I have a real problem, which one do I Have?, Mike has got the edge a real lovely sound set, love start up and shut down sounds too, OMG!!, how can you have both sound sets?, say one C-47 with Mikes and another C-47 with TuFuns?

Great Sound Sets both of them, thanks guys

Hello,

I must agree that this new sound set is stunning.
    I add my thanks to its developers.

You could install the aircraft twice, use each sound set and just
    make sure that they do not both have the same repaints in them.
    A simple edit of the aircraft.cfg file to remove the two default ones
    from one installation would do it and there are plenty of repaints to
    replace them with.
    Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    Hello,

I must agree that this new sound set is stunning.
    I add my thanks to its developers.

You could install the aircraft twice, use each sound set and just
    make sure that they do not both have the same repaints in them.
    A simple edit of the aircraft.cfg file to remove the two default ones
    from one installation would do it and there are plenty of repaints to
    replace them with.
    Easier (at least to me as I've done this before) would be to have both sound folders in your aircraft folder (sound.x & sound.y) and then use the sound= line in fltsim sections of the aircraft.cfg to point to which one you want to use for that particular livery.

An example from my Alabeo Gee Bee install

[fltsim.11]
    title=GEEBEE Z Super Sportster G-AGBZ
    sim=racer_z
    model=
    panel=
    sound=bristol
    texture=G-AGBZ
    kb_checklists=
    kb_reference=GB Z_Ref
    atc_id=G-AGBZ
    ui_manufacturer="Alabeo"
    ui_type=GEE BEE MODEL Z
    ui_typerole="Racing Aircraft"
    ui_createdby="Alabeo"
    ui_variation=British Racing Green
    description=#007 G-AGBZ
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_airline=
    atc_flight_number=
    atc_id_color=0000000000
    visual_damage=1

[fltsim.12]
    title=GEEBEE Z Super Sportster NA73 "Rocketeer"
    sim=racer_z
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=NA73_Rocketeer
    kb_checklists=
    kb_reference=GB Z_Ref
    atc_id=NA73
    ui_manufacturer="Alabeo"
    ui_type=GEE BEE MODEL Z
    ui_createdby="Alabeo"
    ui_variation=Rocketeer
    description=Black/White Gee Bee from the final scenes of the movie "The Rocketeer".
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_airline=
    atc_flight_number=
    atc_id_color=0000000000
    visual_damage=1

What I did is that I painted a Gee Bee Z in a classic British sports car "British Racing Green" and then to see if I could do it, I mixed up a set of Bristol sleeve valve engine sounds for the Z from another set that I downloaded from who knows where. I put the Bristol sound folder in the Gee Bee Z folder and then pointed the sound- to that folder for that aircraft. The regular Gee Bee Z folder is still there and used by most of the rest of them (also have a Wright Cyclone version as well for another paint).

Any hope of a 4 engine set?
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Yes that is the obvious solution except that it does not allow
    for the six files that go into the DGSounds folder.

You might then suggest a second panel folder but that doesn't
    work unless you edit Daniel's ini file, not recommended at all.
    In the end, the simplest way is two installations.

I am not guessing here, I was/am a beta tester for this aircraft
    model and sightly involved in some of its development.
    Last edited by ncooper; December 25th, 2017 at 13:55.
    Regards,
    Nick

Thanks folks!!!, I will have a play with your ideas!!!

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Variety!

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Easier (at least to me as I've done this before) would be to have both sound folders in your aircraft folder (sound.x & sound.y) and then use the sound= line in fltsim sections of the aircraft.cfg to point to which one you want to use for that particular livery.

An example from my Alabeo Gee Bee install

[fltsim.11]
    title=GEEBEE Z Super Sportster G-AGBZ
    sim=racer_z
    model=
    panel=
    sound=bristol
    texture=G-AGBZ
    kb_checklists=
    kb_reference=GB Z_Ref
    atc_id=G-AGBZ
    ui_manufacturer="Alabeo"
    ui_type=GEE BEE MODEL Z
    ui_createdby="Alabeo"
    ui_variation=British Racing Green
    description=#007 G-AGBZ
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_airline=
    atc_flight_number=
    atc_id_color=0000000000
    visual_damage=1

[fltsim.12]
    title=GEEBEE Z Super Sportster NA73 "Rocketeer"
    sim=racer_z
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=NA73_Rocketeer
    kb_checklists=
    kb_reference=GB Z_Ref
    atc_id=NA73
    ui_manufacturer="Alabeo"
    ui_type=GEE BEE MODEL Z
    ui_createdby="Alabeo"
    ui_variation=Rocketeer
    description=Black/White Gee Bee from the final scenes of the movie "The Rocketeer".
    atc_heavy=0
    atc_airline=
    atc_flight_number=
    atc_id_color=0000000000
    visual_damage=1

What I did is that I painted a Gee Bee Z in a classic British sports car "British Racing Green" and then to see if I could do it, I mixed up a set of Bristol sleeve valve engine sounds for the Z from another set that I downloaded from who knows where. I put the Bristol sound folder in the Gee Bee Z folder and then pointed the sound- to that folder for that aircraft. The regular Gee Bee Z folder is still there and used by most of the rest of them (also have a Wright Cyclone version as well for another paint).

Any hope of a 4 engine set?
    Correct, Willy :-)
    You can have as many soundsets in any particular aircraft folder as you wish - using exactly the same Logic as textures.
    Personally, I do this all the time, and enjoy the benefits of plurality.
    I regularly enjoy Manfred's magnificent fleet of Dc-3 variants with a multitude of soundsets including Ted's fine set, several of my own, and even stock sounds.

Now I'm most gratefully looking forward to MikeM's version - thanks for sharing, Mike! :-)

So, simply name any sound folder in a particular aircraft using this method:
    sound. XXXX
    Then add the name (XXXX) to the 'sound' entry in the aircraft.cfg as Willy rightly illustrates.

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, I have another Dc-3 cone sound alternative lurking around my engine shop...
    Why settle for one flavour, when there's smørrebrød!

Surely we should applaud, encourage, and support those offering NEW variety to our fine Community - Well done, Mike!
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

It seems apparent that neither of you two has actually installed these new sound files.
    There are six files that are needed but that are not in the sound folder and cannot easily
    be added as an alternative to the panel folder.

In this case, your perfectly valid method of adding alternative sounds will not work.
    Regards,
    Nick

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It seems apparent that neither of you two has actually installed these new sound files.
    There are six files that are needed but that are not in the sound folder and cannot easily
    be added as an alternative to the panel folder.

In this case, your perfectly valid method of adding alternative sounds will not work.
    I have now added the soundeset to my Dc-3 collection of 7 current sound folders in one aircraft folder.

The six files you mention are starter sequence sounds only - the workaround would be to copy the panel (with the NEW sounds installed), rename it with a unique name, then add that name to the aircraft.cfg - panel entry for the specific aircraft using the NEW soundset.

Nice sounds, MikeB - Thankyou for sharing them with us. :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by nigel richards View Post
    I have now added the soundeset to my Dc-3 collection of 7 current sound folders in one aircraft folder.
    The six files you mention are starter sequence sounds only - the workaround would be to copy the panel (with the NEW sounds installed), rename it with a unique name, then add that name to the aircraft.cfg - panel entry for the specific aircraft using the NEW soundset.
    As I have already explained, that would also require the editing of the DGSounds ini file.
    If someone does as you suggest, the result will be no bespoke sounds at all, not even engine start up .

Of course, you are free to do as you please with these files but it seems a shame to post a workaround that if followed
    will break the installation.
    Regards,
    Nick

As I have already explained, that would also require the editing of the DGSounds ini file.
    If someone does as you suggest, the result will be no bespoke sounds at all, not even engine start up .

Of course, you are free to do as you please with these files but it seems a shame to post a workaround that if followed
    will break the installation.
    I'm not sure how you are doing it wrong....but this conversation piqued my interest...so I added the new sound set [as a parallel setup to the original] and it works just fine.
    Startup sounds....and all the others.
    People who develop new Panels for a/c often have multiple panel files in an a/c config, just as sound devs do. It's not rocket science [more aircraft eng - pun]...

BTW....am still wondering what or where the 'DGSounds.ini' file is as nothing such was needed to be edited...

Members who have read this thread: 1