Malware detection on Captain Kurt's ALPHA P-47D gauge

Thread: Malware detection on Captain Kurt's ALPHA P-47D gauge

Hi.

While downloading Captain Kurt's aircraft for his 354th Fighter Group campaign, I experienced a malware detection (by Avast) on three files:

> Alpha P-47D AI Ground Attack
    > Alpha P-47D Thunderbolt Dahlberg
    > Alpha P-47D Thunderbolt Klopotek

After a quick investigation, the problem seems to be within a gauge : AldP47.gau

Avast is telling me there is a "Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]" problem with this gauge.

SOH-CM-2020

Hi,

I've just downloaded the "Alpha P-47D Thunderbolt Klopotek" and neither Comodo Anti-virus nor Malwarebytes Anti-Malware had any complaints with the zip file. I used them both to specifically scan the AldP47D.gau file and they were both happy with it as well.

So it may be that you are getting a false positive?

cheers,

SW

Quote Originally Posted by SW View Post
    Hi,

I've just downloaded the "Alpha P-47D Thunderbolt Klopotek" and neither Comodo Anti-virus nor Malwarebytes Anti-Malware had any complaints with the zip file. I used them both to specifically scan the AldP47D.gau file and they were both happy with it as well.

So it may be that you are getting a false positive?

cheers,

SW
    I got these false positives also with Norton, so I excluded all CFS 2 folders from scans. Solved the problem.

Avast

Yeah years ago Avast destroyed my install of CFS2 with this kind of stuff

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Yeah, when my old Windows XP Pro desktop died and I started re-installing CFS2 and FS9 on my Windows 8.1 Pro laptop, Norton was constantly alerting on and quarantining .gau files that had never caused any problems on my old XP rig. Same goes with many .dll files, especially ones from Martin Wright. So, I simply excluded all monitoring and scanning of my simming-related download folders and my CFS2 and FS9 directories. I also restored all quarantined .gau and .dll files as the need arose checking the box where it says to ignore them in the future. Problem solved.

Roxanne-21, its good that your internet security software is on the ball. But sometime it needs to be reined in a bit. All decent internet security software allows you to fine tune how strictly and for what and where it monitors. I'm guessing Avast does too. Never have used it myself.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Thanks for your answers.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Roxanne-21, its good that your internet security software is on the ball. But sometime it needs to be reined in a bit. All decent internet security software allows you to fine tune how strictly and for what and where it monitors. I'm guessing Avast does too. Never have used it myself.
    Thank you for the advice. I will declare my CFS2-related directory as a "free zone".

I got the alert while downloading files on my Win8.1 laptop. I only use this rig for Internet and storage and still have a good old Win98SE desktop for CFS2.

I can assure you that CK checks everything 3 times before he uploads,
    Although the FFS only offers a few of his great creations at this point,
    his one stop shop makes it a bit easier for mission and scenery designers:

http://thefreeflightsite.com/CaptainKurt.htm

Merry Xmas to all......
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Hi Rox,

The gauge file AldP47.gau is mine. Looks like you've got the probable answer from others above but Iwould like to assure you that this file has no virus. Just to besure I downloaded it and the creation date sounds about right (Sep2011). I also tried to check the version info under file propertiesbut this tab no longer exist under Windows 7. With a little work Idid find an app that puts this tab back and it checks out fine. Here's a pic in case you don't have the version tab.

By the the way, could a gauge filecontain a virus? Absolutely yes. Gauge files are quite literallydll's with the extension changed to gau – Windows allows this.

AC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P47DgaugeVer.png  

Members who have read this thread: 0