FSX to FSX Steam Question

Thread: FSX to FSX Steam Question

FSX to FSX Steam Question

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for an answer to this question, but I haven't found it. If go to FSX Steam, will all of my FSX add ons work with it? I'm asking, because now that I'm on my new PC, I can't get my old FSX to work and I don't have my activation info since it goes all the way back to the FSX beta.

Thanks,

Ken

Blog Entries
    I made the switch from box to Steam about a year ago and so far (all) over a 100 of my addons work in Steam including all of my Orbx.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks,

I think this will be the way for me to proceed then.

Blog Entries
    Your files will be saved differently than with Microsoft...let us know if you need help
    Ted

I'm almost finished uninstalling everything from my FSX (Only took 2-1/2 hours). Then I'm going to run that registry tool to remove any remaining fsx files and then reboot and try installing FSX Steam, then all of my Orbx add-ons, REX, some other sceneries that are at the top of the list and some of my favorite planes. It will take a while to get it up to what I had with my old FSX install, but at least all of the crap I didn't use will be gone.

I would suggest pointing the Steam installer at something other than the default 'Programs' folder and preferably on a different physical drive to the one containing the OS i.e. Windows, therefore something other than C:
    Larry

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    I'm almost finished uninstalling everything from my FSX (Only took 2-1/2 hours). Then I'm going to run that registry tool to remove any remaining fsx files and then reboot and try installing FSX Steam, then all of my Orbx add-ons, REX, some other sceneries that are at the top of the list and some of my favorite planes. It will take a while to get it up to what I had with my old FSX install, but at least all of the crap I didn't use will be gone.
    Exactly my feelings. I am in the mist of reinstalling FSX-SE and P3D. It’s great to get so much stuff off the hard drive that I never use. I put my Steam programs on a separate drive also.

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    I would suggest pointing the Steam installer at something other than the default 'Programs' folder and preferably on a different physical drive to the one containing the OS i.e. Windows, therefore something other than C:
    Yeah, thanks, I've always kept FSX on a separate drive and when I built this new box I put a drive in just for FSX:SE and one for P3D.

Blog Entries
    Yes I put FSX Steam to an SSD.

Blog Entries
    I've only had one issue with steam, and that is the fact that on my particular machine, not all the dlc such as active sky or textures on demand, loads when you start the program.. It can be quite frustrating..

Woohoo, I have FSX again. Next I have to install FSUIPC so I can use my JS (WARTHOG HOTAS) and then everything Orbx, some other sceneries and planes.

However, I have two questions: First, my monitor is a high res 3840-2160 and when I set the display to max in the game, all of the menus/text become too small to read. How do I fix this? EDIT: I fixed this, I'll check the second one tomorrow.
    Second, which may be related to the first, is the FSX.CFG file located in users/appdata like typical FSX?

Oh, and here are my PC specs below; should I be running DX10 Preview?

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU
    Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Mem: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
    HD's: OS on (1) Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    (2) Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    (1) Samsung 2TB internal HD (P3D Drive-not installed yet)
    (1) WD 2TB External HD (FSX Drive)
    (1) Seagate 4TB External HD
    VC: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
    PS: Corsair 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    OD: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
    Last edited by Sundog; December 18th, 2017 at 21:49.

Second, which may be related to the first, is the FSX.CFG file located in users/appdata like typical FSX?
    Yes.
    If you have FSX and FSX:SE installed, it will make a unique folder name to differentiate the two, but if all you have is SE the name's the same.

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Blog Entries
    Your cfg file will be under User name, App Data, Roaming, Microsoft, FSX

All my FSX files work on Steam.

Thanks everyone, I'll probably have to finish installing all of my Orbx files after vacation (will be away from home visiting family), but it was nice to fire up FSX and for once see all the sliders to the right and have great frame rates at the same time.

Members who have read this thread: 0