DC-10 Drops Retardant Directly on a House

Thread: DC-10 Drops Retardant Directly on a House

DC-10 Drops Retardant Directly on a House

The camera video of the drop is exciting. What isn't seen is the amount of damage to the interior of the house, not to mention the exterior damage! Check out the linked article and photos below this video...

https://www.flashover.com.au/photos-...se-california/
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

this will prove to those who've told me i was full of BS when hit by a tanker,,three times all by Hoser in T-89.each time it knocked me on my ass,some have said to me,if that story is true,then why didn't you take cover,well one simple reason,i had no idea he was coming behind me,with the noise of the engine running and all the sounds going on during a fire,mind you we were doing a mobile attack on the fire itself,on one occasion though,i looked at the captain engineering the rig as he was looking in the mirror with great big silver dollar eyes,and he was frantically rolling up the window,he was supposed to hit the warning horn,i turned my head to see what was happening and got hit in the face with a full load,and Hoser told us later he was only about 50 ft AGL,i went head over heels,as did a guy named Kurt,had a black eye and my shoulder hurt like hell.and i had pink turnouts for the rest of the season.

i had pink turnouts for the rest of the season.
    And I bet you jutht looked THO adowable...

People much of the time don't realize the power water has. I grew up surfing in NorCal, so I'm familiar. Having said that, when I lived in Arizona, I would see fools try to cross a section of road starting to flood due to thunderstorms in the area. Just a "few inches of water". These fools would be soooo confident. Right up until their car was suddenly swept downstream by those few inches of water.
    Same thing watching the tourists that would come to the beach. They'd see the waves washing up the sand and say "ooooohhhh...I can wash my feet in the Pacific". Out they walk, while the wave was out. When it came back in, just a few inches in depth, down they go, flat on their backs.

I can see how the water/retardant you got dropped on you knocked you down. Amazing amount of energy in that water falling from the sky...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

yes..lots of power,didnt say,but all three times the sate bought me new glasses too..i said they should charge Hoser for em and the guys says...hush now hes our best pilot..lol...have you ever surfed the waves at ..shoot cant think of the name...maybe mavericks?...norcal coast..HUGE waves?...never been but id love to see that.

Oh no!
    I was never good enough to try Maverik. Halfmoon Bay Breakwater was about as rough as I ever tried. I grew up in the Bay Area, Woodside, and San Gregorio Beach was our main hangout. Really cool man-made submarine lookout cave there, about 200M back from the cliff was the entrance, and it ran through to a spot about 20' below the top, maybe 100' above the beach. Great place to take a girl to ummmm...watch the sunset. Yeah, the sunset. Until they dynamited it. Too many fell off getting drunk and stoned. Oh well...

I looked at North Shore Kaui, too, but I'm not that brave either.
    My family went to Kaui every year for vacation. Took a few days on all the other islands too. My father was a UAL pilot, so we got tickets for the price of the tax on them. About $10.00 each person. We flew Space-A, but usually got seats, no trouble. Hotels too. They had contracts with UAL...

A friend of mine had to get new glasses after an airshow at Norfolk NAS one year. F-14 took a fly-by, low, just a little too fast. Lotta folks going to the optometrists after that air-show! But we all loved it. Cheered our lungs out. Fun times.

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

I was blown away (pardon the pun) by the amount of damage inside the house, even in interior space without direct exposure to the outside!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Interesting but this video shows the mediocrity of smartphone users who ignore all the rules of the photographic grid. Very painful to watch!
    JMC

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    Interesting but this video shows the mediocrity of smartphone users who ignore all the rules of the photographic grid. Very painful to watch!
    JMC
    What gets me, is that most of the time, as soon as some "thing" interesting starts to happen, the first thing the videographer does is point the camera straight down at the ground. By the time the interesting "thing" is over, they have figured out that the ground isn't the "thing" they want to video. Makes trying to see anything other than their shoes very difficult.

At least in this case, we didn't get a wonderful study of the local pavement.
    AND, he was smart enough to duck under an overhang so HE didn't get turned the lovely pink airdrop color...

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

...and THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call "saturation bombing".

I'd keep a couple of pieces of furniture in the nice shade of pink as souvenirs, rebuild/repair the rest and get the rest of the house repaired. The alternative would likely have been a lot of memories turned to ashes.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Members +
    Blog Entries
    It's a hell of a hit, and the constant flow tanks have nothing like the punch that the old door system has. Way back when in the DC-6 days, at least a couple times a season a saw-mill would go up-usually the log-decks or chip pile would achieve self-combustion, we'd get scrambled to try to save the rest of the mill, or at least keep it from taking a run. 2 six-door salvos(1250 imp gal per six-pack) would completely demolish those mill buildings- even the sheet steel on steel frames would be flattened. A mobile home crushed like a beer can, cars flattened and a frame house was a pile of splinters. Wouldn't save the structure we hit, ever, just keep the fire from wiping out the grid square. I always thought it would be great riot control. Never got to bomb a city hall or cop-shop. Did wipe out half a dozen mountiemobiles with a 12-door salvo once, though. Just a little early on the drop. Or was it a bad bomb computer? Anyway...Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    It's a hell of a hit, and the constant flow tanks have nothing like the punch that the old door system has. Way back when in the DC-6 days, at least a couple times a season a saw-mill would go up-usually the log-decks or chip pile would achieve self-combustion, we'd get scrambled to try to save the rest of the mill, or at least keep it from taking a run. 2 six-door salvos(1250 imp gal per six-pack) would completely demolish those mill buildings- even the sheet steel on steel frames would be flattened. A mobile home crushed like a beer can, cars flattened and a frame house was a pile of splinters. Wouldn't save the structure we hit, ever, just keep the fire from wiping out the grid square. I always thought it would be great riot control. Never got to bomb a city hall or cop-shop. Did wipe out half a dozen mountiemobiles with a 12-door salvo once, though. Just a little early on the drop. Or was it a bad bomb computer? Anyway...Oops.
    where did the "mountiemobiles" incident happen?..i would think canada by the discription,but that had happened in norcal,in the foresthill area,a bunch of fed vehicles (those brown shirts)and PCSO patrol cars got all mooshed up by a drop that was either a Dc7 or Dc6..dont recall now but it happened in the late 80s or early 90s.

Members who have read this thread: 0