Sikorsky S-58 FSX native alpha test (mebe the Wessex, too)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sikorsky S-58 FSX native alpha test (mebe the Wessex, too)

Members +
    Blog Entries

Sikorsky S-58 FSX native alpha test (mebe the Wessex, too)

Members +
    Blog Entries
    FSX native S-58 by Niels de Ruyck. Conversion, US skins by Y.T.
    Alpha tester. Any contact info for the author? Nothing in the original file-no readme, not a thing
    The rotor textures could use work- I'm not much of a painter.
    Good fun, much better than the (payware)CH-34(a rip of the LSL seabat-hard on frames, impossible to paint, widly inaccurate...)
    Known issues- the rotor turns backwards, have to pop that off and get that into FSDS.

Wessex news.
    The latest MCX will read the Wessex, and export a good model. The visibility conditions are a bit dodgy, but I'm chipping away at it.
    Does any one have a contact for Brian? SimShed is gone, and my crapulator won't even find CBFS- VPN/server issues.
    Should have a trial model in a bit, the rest pending running Brian to earth.

And- the board is derpy, today, which is why this post came out in chunks...

Looking forward to the S-58
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Why wait? Bottom of the first post

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Why wait? Bottom of the first post
    Which says SH-34X...
    Sue

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Sikorsky model S-58, USAF/US.A H-34, USN HSS-1 USMC HUS-1, post 1962 tri-service C/S/U/H-34...but it's all the same hubschraber

-Sound aliased to Mick's H-21. Desperately, a big-piston sound set is needed for helio's...Any idea's?

Good to see someone playing with Brian's Wessex, a favorite of mine for year's, i fly it in FSX already, with the usual prop issue's ( although ive seen worse in port-over's ) and occasional daylight through the exhaust stack's

I visit CBFS regularly with no problems and thats the best place to ask about Brian, try this addy---
    https://cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_bb

Good luck, cheers ian

PS, The Beverly's a big hit with me

Lazarus, you are doing me and others a big favor with these conversions - please keep them coming. Also using to fill essential gaps in P3Dv4 for AI that must have FSX native models to work. Thanks for this one!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

love the wessex and the h-58

thank you for making this effort

one suggestion, is the rotor animations

I think i have Rob's wessex rotor textures save somewhere, I will try them see if they work and forward them on has rob has given me permission to share his files

a positive it works in p3d v4.1 however it will need some alpha tweaks

Thanks for this great conversion Lazarus! (P.s. the word 'Lazarus' in Dutch is slang for being drunk)
    Now if someone has the time to do a Royal Netherlands navy paint I would be even more happy

Cheers,
    Randy

For the most part it's nice however, in P3D V3.4 none of the engine controls will respond - IOW I can't get the thing to shut down.
    I binned it for now. Thanks anyway...
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 16th, 2017 at 09:26.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Cheers, and thanks. Another really nice little model. A bit off in the engine clamshells, but so much better than the alternatives. Dirk Stuck's was a nice effort, loads of interesting features, though why he hung sling loads from the hoist... The model was a bad choice for a start, and the frame rates, unpaintability...too many issues, and FSX needs a HUS.
    I'll be going back over the rotor system- it's got a common FS9 rotor glitch, the mains run backwards, but it's not a problem to pop that off and run it through FSDS. Just happy I found the bug that prevented export- a texture with an 'illegal' character, and the latest MCX reads the zero points in the animation strings- another bug eliminated. The gear on this one and the Wessex always 'squashed' into the cabin.
    I've never been happy with FSX rotor behaviour, can't get the damned things to spool down into low RPM without riding the collective.
    For shut down, ctrl F1, then ride the collective until it drops into low RPM- it's got a flat(no coning angle) disc, then ICO the mixture and ride the collective for some drag, it stops.
    For P3D- don't have it- mebe one day when I'm forced to buy a new box. If any one can provide me the material specs for P3D, I can try to set those.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    For shut down, ctrl F1, then ride the collective until it drops into low RPM- it's got a flat(no coning angle) disc, then ICO the mixture and ride the collective for some drag, it stops.
    For P3D- don't have it- mebe one day when I'm forced to buy a new box. If any one can provide me the material specs for P3D, I can try to set those.
    Perhaps that is why I couldn't shut er down in P3D - I tried the CTRL + F1 and no response. Can't shut off the fuel control switch either. Oh well, It fly's nice anyway.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    No idea about P3D. I guess you could haul it over to the P3D forum, see if a solution can be found. Sorry. Don't have access to that sim, the SDK, no knowledge, no ideas's.

Hello Lazarus,

-Excellent conversion for FSX! Thank you!
    I hope a texture of a HSS-1 of the French Navy (31F)
    Maybe a conversion of the Alphasim WG 13 Lynx would be much appreciated!
    have a good day!

Alain
    -

SOH-CM-2023
    Sweet. Been flying Helo's more than anything lately. Really missing the Wessex.

If I may make a few suggestions for future projects...

Piglet's Hiller

The Alpha Lynxes

Giovanni Quai's HH-3 Pelican

Mike Stone's K-Max (Should be able to figure out some kind of single seat VC for it. Maybe the Alpha freeware Cobra?)

Alpha's MD-500

Just a thought...
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Perhaps that is why I couldn't shut er down in P3D - I tried the CTRL + F1 and no response. Can't shut off the fuel control switch either. Oh well, It fly's nice anyway.
    This always works for me with helicopters in P3D: Ctrl+Shift+F1, then full collective (equivalent of the throttle lever in a fixed wing). Shuts down in a few seconds.
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Ctrl+Shift+F1,..
    That is the "mixture" shut off command. Same-same for jets. It cut's the fuel flow to the engine. Just make sure you turn it back on (ctrl+shft+F4) before you save. It can be incredibly frustrating to go to start, and not be able to because the fuel is shut off.

then full collective (equivalent of the throttle lever in a fixed wing).
    That raises the rotor blades' pitch, causing a lot of aerodynamic drag, causing the rotor to slow more rapidly, if that makes sense.
    Once it get's down to around 30% of normal RPM, you can start applying to rotor brake to stop it completely. Not all helicopters have it modeled in the VC or overhead panel, but the key-combo for it is SHFT+B, iirc. Worth a try. Be careful though. If you apply it too soon, with too high a rotor RPM, it can tip the chopper over with the torque. Darn embarassing!
    If you know where to, you can add the rotor brake into the aircraft.cfg. Not all helicopters have rotor brakes, though, so if it's not there, there may be a very valid reason

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by IFlySWA View Post
    Thank you Lazarus!

Brian
    Plus one ....

[for each and every new native redo you do]

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Good to see someone playing with Brian's Wessex, a favorite of mine for year's, i fly it in FSX already, with the usual prop issue's ( although ive seen worse in port-over's ) and occasional daylight through the exhaust stack's

I visit CBFS regularly with no problems and thats the best place to ask about Brian, try this addy---
    https://cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_bb

Good luck, cheers ian

PS, The Beverly's a big hit with me
    Hi Ian,

I do have Brian's Wessex archived somewhere. Seem to remember i used it with Antii and Dirk's autopilot gauge in FS9. What do I need to do to it for FSX and hopefully P3D compatibilty?

Keith
    i9-10900k @ 5GHz | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz C16 | ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti O12G Gaming
    i7-4790k @ 4GHz | 32GB DDR3 2133MHz | AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
    Win 10 Pro 22H2 x64 | GeForce 552.12 WHQL | Oculus Rift CV1 & S | Acer Predator XB281HK G-Sync 4K | Saitek X52 | T.Flight Rudder Pedals | MS Sidewinder FF2 | FS9, FSX, FSX SE, P3D V2, V3, V4, V5, V6, FSW, XP 10.51, XP 11.55, XP 12.0.9-rc-5, AFS2, AFS4, FlyInside FS, DCS, MSFS

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Welp, so far, these conversions seem to run acceptably in P3D, up to V.4. Pete at simviation runs them through P3D, so far, haven't fallen into any compatibility issues. I guess it'll be a case of 'suck it and see'. I saw some alpha channel things in that screen cap Jeansy posted, a quick jab of a few DXTBMP buttons should fix that. Initially, the fuselage map had a mirrored alpha, an easy fix. I suppose that if it's got FSX gauges, it should work.

Hi Ian,

I do have Brian's Wessex archived somewhere. Seem to remember i used it with Antii and Dirk's autopilot gauge in FS9. What do I need to do to it for FSX and hopefully P3D compatibilty?

Keith
    It pretty much work's out off the box, i try a few Glass and rotor texture's, think i settle'd on the Alpha/Virtavia freeware S55 for the rotor, i also change'd the texture's over to DDS format, think i got a marginal frame rate in-cress but you could probably use it as-is.
    Some of the RN models, you can see daylight through the exhaust stacks which make flying it a bit odd. Try it and see if you like it.
    cheers ian

Seem to remember i used it with Antii and Dirk's autopilot gauge in FS9. What do I need to do to it for FSX and hopefully P3D compatibilty?
    I have that autopilot installed in any number of choppers, and it works just as well in FSX:SE as it did in FS9. Just make sure you install the latest version, and follow the instructions precisely. There is a really nice instructional PDF, and videos available, too.
    Once you get the basics down Pat, so to speak, it's not difficult. Best thing is that you can customize the settings for each aircraft. The settings will obviously be different for a B206 and a UH60.
    There's an update out there someplace that adds a vertical and horizontal movement to the system, for when it's in the hover. A couple of dials down below the main unit. You can dial in the motion you want very exactly. Great for picking up Hoist loads. You may need a hoist/sling camera view to be able to see the cable when it's extended, however.

Does this help any? I think I can dig up the zipfile name for you if you need. I think...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 2