Tracers for WW1?

Thread: Tracers for WW1?

Tracers for WW1?

Hi.

I am in the process of building a WW1 installation based on Aerocrate's 1916 files.

Talking about historical realism, I wonder : did WW1 fighter airplanes used tracers ?

Roxane...

There was a discussion on this awhile back at a site called the "Areodrome" Here; http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33786
    They discussed some articles on this tread. Maybe some relevant info for you there.

Speaking of WW1.....whatever happened to Garry's Aerocrate website? Have the files from there been preserved elsewhere?

cheers,
    Michael

There is a Wikipedia entry for Tracer Ammunition. It gives a brief history of tracer development which say, amongst other things, that the British developed a tracer cartridge in 1915. Certainly in use against Zeppelins over Britain and over the North Sea.

Thanks for your answers.

From what I can read on the Aerodrome's thread, tracers/incendiary bullets were used against Zeppelins and observation balloons. But were they used more widely as an aiming device against airplanes ?

Roxane...

from what I have read many of the pilots appeared to not like them as the technology was not all that developed and the residue had a tendency to really gum up the workings of the guns. Also, as more than one has stated if you did sneak up on a enemy and he (they) weren't aware of you, if you fired tracers, and missed, they(he) was now aware of you and your "easy" kill was now gone.
    Also, the early pilots most feared situation was fire. Chivalry still had some vestiges left in the early years of the Great War and it was considered "unsporting" to deliberately set a opponents plane on fire. Kill him yes(!) burn him to death NO!
    The balloons, and zepplins, were another story as the non-tracers would just pass through them and deflate them (hopefully). Tracers would destroy them. Remember that the balloon crew, at least on the German side, were equipped with early parachutes and could escape. Aircrews couldn't and were thus condemned to burn to death, jump, or otherwise dispatch themselves.
    Last edited by Fibber; December 15th, 2017 at 07:26.

Actually it comes down to time. In the beginning of the Great War (the war to end all wars) pilots did not have tracers. They were developed during 1915 and only perfected during 1916-17. But in later stages of the war everybody used the most effective ammo - but often chosen to the discretion of the individual pilot. A normal loading of ammodrums and belts could be something like 4 normal rounds, 1 tracer and 1 armorpiercing. So yes, tracers were indeed used during WW1, but in general use only after 1916. Some pilots did not like them, as stated by Fibber (generally the very best shots).
    Finn

Since Aerocrate's campaign depicts the year 1916, it is then better not to use tracers, with the exception of airplanes attacking balloons or Zeppelins.

Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Speaking of WW1.....whatever happened to Garry's Aerocrate website? Have the files from there been preserved elsewhere?
    I have just noticed that as well. Fortunately I downloaded and archived all of Aerocrate's files before the website went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post
    Since Aerocrate's campaign depicts the year 1916, it is then better not to use tracers, with the exception of airplanes attacking balloons or Zeppelins.

Thank you !

I have just noticed that as well. Fortunately I downloaded and archived all of Aerocrate's files before the website went down.
    Perhaps with Garry's permission the Aerocrate files could be saved in the Library.

SOH-CM-2017
    Blog Entries
    I don't think that Gary would have a problem with this @ all. We discussed this a few years ago when I attempted to keep the site in working order but unfortunately, I ended up in the same situation as he, other commitments demanded my attention first. Do you have contact info? If not, I will look for it @ hope that it is still current.
    Last edited by oldwheat; December 17th, 2017 at 14:21.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwheat View Post
    I don't think that Gary would have a problem with this @ all. We discussed this a few years ago when I attempted to keep the site i working order but unfortunately, I ended up in the same situation as he, other commitments demanded my attention first. Do you have contact info? If not, I will look for it @ hope that it is still current.
    Thanks Larry,
    I do have a link saved from my old system but is just not connecting. Happy to do something if it helps to resurrect Gary's site or to upload the files I did manage to save from my old HDs.

Icon28

Hello everyone, usually the bullets in the air produce contrails, I have seen them at ground level, they are much more noticeable in high heights with high velocity of the bullets. Original bullet speed+aircraft speed=very high bullet speed. Maybe that's what the game should play.
    Cheers
    Mario
    Hit hard, hit fast, hit where it hurts and keep hitting.

Members who have read this thread: 0